Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #31
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All Apple has to do to win the phone size wars is to build the phone into the iPad Mini. It could be called the iPhone Mini.
I almost never put my 7+ up to my ear when making a phone call. When home alone, I always use the speaker phone option. I do answer phone calls using whatever iPad I am using at the time, when at home. It's a cool feature.

You can make outgoing calls from an iPad also, if the number is in your contacts. That I rarely do.

Putting the mini up to your ear would be awkward. My daughter had a phablet a few years ago. An LG Intuition I think. She loved it. It was about 5.5" x 4"
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I almost never put my 7+ up to my ear when making a phone call. When home alone, I always use the speaker phone option. I do answer phone calls using whatever iPad I am using at the time, when at home. It's a cool feature.

You can make outgoing calls from an iPad also, if the number is in your contacts. That I rarely do.

Putting the mini up to your ear would be awkward. My daughter had a phablet a few years ago. An LG Intuition I think. She loved it. It was about 5.5" x 4"
My current iDevices are - iPhone 7+ (4.7 inch screen), iPad mini 4 (7.9 inch screen) , iPad Pro 12.9.

The 7 plus is about as big as I would want as a phone. Anything bigger isn't going to fit into my shirt pocket. When I carry the iPad mini, I put it in the iPad pocket on the scott-e vest that I wear. I already use either the speaker phone (if alone at home) or a bluetooth headset for my iPhone (though I do answer the phone on either my iMac or Apple Watch when the phone is tucked away in a pocket or downstairs).

I have heard rumors about an Apple watch with a cellular data built in.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My current iDevices are - iPhone 7+ (4.7 inch screen), iPad mini 4 (7.9 inch screen) , iPad Pro 12.9.

The 7 plus is about as big as I would want as a phone. Anything bigger isn't going to fit into my shirt pocket. When I carry the iPad mini, I put it in the iPad pocket on the scott-e vest that I wear. I already use either the speaker phone (if alone at home) or a bluetooth headset for my iPhone (though I do answer the phone on either my iMac or Apple Watch when the phone is tucked away in a pocket or downstairs).

I have heard rumors about an Apple watch with a cellular data built in.
Isn't the 7+ a 5.5" screen?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Isn't the 7+ a 5.5" screen?
Yes. The regular 7 (& 6 & 6S) is 4.7"
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #35
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I am loving the Mini 4, and found a buyer for my Mini 1. The screen is just lovely! I believe its a higher pixel density even than the Air 2 which I love, also. A word to the wise, though. If you are going to get a 4, be aware that it is a few mm longer than the 1/2/3 and will not fit your existing cases. I didnt realise that so now have cases which I cant use. I gave some to the buyer of the 1 but I didnt get enough for it to give them all to him. I've got them up on gumtree but no bites so far, not even for the Logitech keyboard case.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I am loving the Mini 4, and found a buyer for my Mini 1. The screen is just lovely! I believe its a higher pixel density even than the Air 2 which I love, also. A word to the wise, though. If you are going to get a 4, be aware that it is a few mm longer than the 1/2/3 and will not fit your existing cases. I didnt realise that so now have cases which I cant use. I gave some to the buyer of the 1 but I didnt get enough for it to give them all to him. I've got them up on gumtree but no bites so far, not even for the Logitech keyboard case.
It does seem like each new iteration of iThings tends to be different enough that the existing cases won't work. I guess that's the price one pays for thinner and lighter. I have a basic rule of thumb that I won't buy a new iPhone model until mophie releases a supporting battery case. Part of the reason that I held on to my old iPad Mini so long was because I had a Kudo battery case for it, but there is no matching case for the Mini 4 (Kudo seems to have gone out of business. The old Kudo web site seems to have been taken over by someone else).
Old 09-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess that lack of a "Mini 5" announcement at the recent Apple event would seem to confirm the idea that the Mini line is dead in the water. A pity - I think personally there is a market for a screen size intermediate between a phone and the larger iPad models.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #38
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont know, Harry. Maybe they are reverting to the old days when iPad announcements were separate to iPhone stuff. Maybe there will be something before Christmas, or failing that, around March. I am happy with the 4, though, I dont mind buying refurbs, and 64GB is well enough for me.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

They wrote off the iMac line off as well when the predicted iMacs didn't come out last fall or winter. One can never tell with Apple.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #40
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I picked up the Air 2 64g ( used) after I heard the Air - line would be discontinued. I liked the lighter weight. I also got the Mini 4 because I thought perhaps it may be discontinued as well. I like the Mini size for reading & travel. I don't mind buying discontinued Apple devices, that usually means they will be on sale, and I can get more storage. I would also look at refurbished as well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Yes, the ppi is higher. The actual pixels are the same for a 9.7" iPad and the mini of the same generation. Thus an iPad is 264ppi and a mini is 326ppi. All of the current iPads from 9.7" and above are 264ppi and have been for quite a long time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #42
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I'm still hoping in 2018 we will see an iPad Mini upgrade. Maybe now with the new tech, it will have face detection and the new OLED screen.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #43
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
I'm still hoping in 2018 we will see an iPad Mini upgrade. Maybe now with the new tech, it will have face detection and the new OLED screen.
Me too!!! I vote for iPad Mini Pro!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #44
kyteflyer
Wizard

I think we will see the end of the Mini. There wont be any need for one if Ming-Chi Kuo's predictions are accurate (and they usually are, he misses very rarely). 6.5" iphone would do away with an ipad mini...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/13/kgi-6...d-iphone-2018/
Old 11-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #45
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Having owned a 10.5 for awhile now, I feel like even on that the multitasking can be a bit cramped at times. And as I’ve said before, that’s what they’re really pushing for with the iPad now.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote