Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
Hi Barry,
I do agree wholeheartedly with this principle in general, but surprisingly in this case it's not the actual Kindles I'm prejudiced about, but rather their creator, Amazon. I find the former to be high quality devices but I've grown to dislike the latter's business ethos, to the point where I no longer wish to purchase their products. I don't judge people who do at all, nor am I making a statement of some sort. It's just my personal opinion.
Of course what reader you decide to buy is entirely your choice and if you would feel bad about buying a Kindle there are other alternatives.

I have Kindles and Kobos and Nooks. I don't know much about the business practices of Kobo but I have had some experience with their mother company's online store, Buy. com. Not really bad experiences since things turned out okay but they were extremely difficult to deal with and quite cold and unfriendly. I had the strong feeling that they hoped I'd give up and go away.

Amazon, on the other hand, has always treated me far better than I've ever hoped to be treated by a company.

Actually I've had to use Kobo service a couple of times and both times were also pretty difficult although both did turn out well.

I've also had to deal with Barnes and Noble a few times but everybody complains about them so much I think whatever I might say would be redundant.

Business practices that affect me are my main concern. If they play hardball in other areas that's fine with me. I think companies should play hardball. As long as they do so within reason we're all better off.

Oops. That's exactly what you said was the wrong topic for this forum.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #17
JawadLeLogeur
JawadLeLogeur began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Oops. That's exactly what you said was the wrong topic for this forum.

Barry
SHhh! mods are watching
cheers
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #18
JawadLeLogeur
JawadLeLogeur began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The only device that fits all your requirements is an open Android reader like Onyx or Icarus/Boyue. The downside might be shorter battery periods between charges.
These sound interesting too, although I think I am pretty much certain to get the aura one as I find the design to be quite beautiful despite not having all the features I mentioned. thanks for the suggestions!
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #19
Roshni Patel
Roshni Patel began at the beginning.

Mobi on Kobo is one of the best. There are many other devices available which you can find easily.
Roshni Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
Mobi on Kobo is one of the best. There are many other devices available which you can find easily.
Mobi on a Kobo assuredly is not "one of the best". It would be unwise (putting it mildly) to buy a Kobo if your requirement is to read Mobi-format books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mobi on a Kobo assuredly is not "one of the best". It would be unwise (putting it mildly) to buy a Kobo if your requirement is to read Mobi-format books.
I have to agree with this. I read books on both Kindles and Kobos and I get my books from Amazon. At first I just used mobi versions for the Kobos but most features don't work much of the time. The books were entirely readable but the Kobo feature set was very unreliable.

I've found that to still be true with sideloaded epub books but they're not nearly as much of a problem. Most features work most of the time. Line spacing and fond bolding fails more than I'd like but it was far worse with mobi files. And a lot of other problems occurred with mobi files that don't fail with epubs on the Kobos, although it's been long enough since I've used one on my Kobo that I don't really remember which features those were.

My advice is use epub files on Kobos. It's a pretty good device if you do.

Fortunately converting with Calibre is trivial so it doesn't really matter much.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #22
Deskisamess
Groupie
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9"
Quote:
My advice is use epub files on Kobos. It's a pretty good device if you do.
How does kepub differ from epub? I've been converting to kepub before placing the books on my Kobo.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2
Read about Kepub in our wiki. Basically it is a totally different program reading the ePub and it also has a database associated with the file to keep track of things.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
How does kepub differ from epub? I've been converting to kepub before placing the books on my Kobo.
HarryT's advice should have been "don't use MOBI on a Kobo". It's not that they don't work, it's mainly that converting to epub or kepub will give better results.

The choice between epub and kepub is really a personal preference. Some people hate the title being on the screen for kepubs. Others like the in-book stats. I get a lot of books from Kobo, so usually read them as kepubs and any sideloaded books are epub. But, if I read something with a lot of footnotes or images, then I will convert to kepub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #25
AnimalOfArt
Enthusiast
AnimalOfArt began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So unless the Tolino can be rooted, it sounds rather inflexable.
The Tolino Vision 4 HD can be rooted! Unfortunately I could only give you links to german rootíng tutorials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The only device that fits all your requirements is an open Android reader like Onyx or Icarus/Boyue. The downside might be shorter battery periods between charges.
The user sharkcow has a Onyx Boox Kepler Pro 6 and he says he gets over one month battery power with one charge, while reading an hour a day:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...45#post3450245
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote