Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #76
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Fonts available in Kobo section

There's a sticky thread in the Kobo section that has some fonts specifically tweaked for eink.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=204363
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #77
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I quite like Bookerly, but I guess the feature is nice for all you tinkerers. Never really looked at the font that much, other than adjusting size/boldness for clarity.
Thats what I use
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
There's a sticky thread in the Kobo section that has some fonts specifically tweaked for eink.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=204363
That's probably where I found it, but it doesn't look like the Constantia font is available anymore.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #79
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I decided to play with it. Downloaded the worst font ever lmao.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AB92BEA-AC2A-4D92-A655-1034D869397C.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	727.2 KB
ID:	164435  

Last edited by HLS; 06-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #80
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's probably where I found it, but it doesn't look like the Constantia font is available anymore.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...stantia&page=2

Post #18
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #81
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Where can I get that font
Check: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...11&postcount=1

And specifically for Charis SIL: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...84&postcount=1
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #82
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Thank you. I've re-downloaded it. I had forgotten how many fonts where included. I remember the only one I really liked was Constantia, but I'll take another look at them all.

Meanwhile I've found New Century Schoolbook, which looks good on the Kindle. This may now be my "go to" font. I think I'll load it on the Kobos as well.

(Nah, I think I like Constantia better.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #83
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I ended up having to reset my 6th gen Paperwhite to stop it from rebooting randomly. Not sure if it was related to the update or not.

Haven’t used it much since the reset, but I haven’t had the clock cause a refresh since the reset. I have thought the issue was gone before and was wrong so YMMV.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #84
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Ok, Ok, this is all real interesting, but what I would like to know, is what is the One Font To Rule Them All that a majority agrees is the best? I wouldn't know where to start looking, but on thw WWW, they say go with what you like. So far I have tried a few suggested here, but I am open to more suggestions, but would really like just USE THIS ONE, IT IS THE BEST. Thanks for your help.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #85
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Ok, Ok, this is all real interesting, but what I would like to know, is what is the One Font To Rule Them All that a majority agrees is the best? I wouldn't know where to start looking, but on thw WWW, they say go with what you like. So far I have tried a few suggested here, but I am open to more suggestions, but would really like just USE THIS ONE, IT IS THE BEST. Thanks for your help.
There's no such thing. Everyone has different preferences, likes and dislikes. For example I've always read exclusively with the Helvetica font on all my Kindles (haven't tried custom fonts yet) and prefer it even to Bookerly. It's my absolute favorite among Kindle fonts (built-in fonts, that is). Most people don't like Helvetica at all, from what I've read on various forums.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #86
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Where can I get that font
I think I got it through this post, or I might have followed a link back to mobile read to get the 'Larger' version:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...e-ink-screens/

I also downloaded the two e-ink specific fonts Bitter and Isodore, but I'm using this Charis SIL as I liked it best and so far I still like it better than Bookerly. (After a full day's reading). Also, as it is clearly legible at size 2, it's really helping extend my battery life, so I think I will be keeping it.

It also makes the kindle screen look more 'bookish', which is something I really liked about the kobo, during my short flirtation with an Aura One HD.

Last edited by Pjama; 06-11-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #87
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Ok, Ok, this is all real interesting, but what I would like to know, is what is the One Font To Rule Them All that a majority agrees is the best?
I don't think the majority is going to agree on anything. I can't even agree with myself. I like New Century Schoolbook on the Kindle, but I prefer Constantia on the Kobos. I DO know that I like having choices. This has probably made my 8th Generation Kindle my main Reader now (at the very least, my main Kindle Reader). I didn't really like any of the fonts Amazon supplied on it, though Palatino (on bold setting 2) was close, it wasn't Constantia or New Century Schoolbook.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #88
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I don't think the majority is going to agree on anything. I can't even agree with myself. I like New Century Schoolbook on the Kindle, but I prefer Constantia on the Kobos.
Heck I use different fonts for fiction versus nonfiction (Bookerly and now bold-level-2-or-3 Quattrocento for fiction, Amazon Ember for nonfiction). I think the underlying reason for this is just to mimic the typeface the Economist uses when reading it this is so ingrained now that reading fiction in Ember or nonfiction in Bookerly feels wrong, like the fiction has somehow *become* nonfiction or something.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #89
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:
Constantia (for me) is the perfect font. I don't know who made it (or where I found it) but I'll always be glad I did. (I think it was on Mobileread, and this one was specifically designed for Kindle and "bolded" to be darker, but I've never been able to find it again.)
FWIW, Constantia was part of a series of fonts commissioned by Microsoft for Windows Vista back around 2006, including Calibri, Consolas, and Corbel among others. It is one of my favorite fonts as well.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #90
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
constantia has a weird setup for the numbers. why is it that 0,1,2 are smaller than 3 to 9? in addition, 6 and 8 are lifted up while 3,4,5,7,9 are lowered? this doesn't serve well any time you have to communicate numbers (addresses, phone numbers, monetary amount, etc), and especially in math equations. it's confusing because it may be interpreted as an exponent.

not specific to constantia, but a more perfect font should clearly distinguish 0 (zero) from the letter O/o, the number 1 (one) from the lower case letter l (el), the capital I from the lower case l (el), etc.

update: i just noticed that one of my favorite classic fonts (georgia) has exactly the same weird number setup. constantia is based on georgia?

Last edited by rem736; 06-12-2018 at 03:20 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote