Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Sub folders in firmware v1.08

**** Ignore this. I got it wrong. It probably is TOCs being created as a subsequent poster points out ***

I used NowNow. Excellent service and I did get 5 replies. Interestingly they appeared on my Kindle as just one entry in the listing, but on tapping into the item it expanded to show the 5 replies. So it looks as if Kindle does support sub folders - just not for the rest of the book list. Perhaps something for a future version ?

Hal.

Last edited by Prince Hal; 06-01-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Subsequent posts showed I got it wrong. Don't want people to waste their time reading further.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
I used NowNow. Excellent service and I did get 5 replies. Interestingly they appeared on my Kindle as just one entry in the listing, but on tapping into the item it expanded to show the 5 replies. So it looks as if Kindle does support sub folders - just not for the rest of the book list. Perhaps something for a future version ?

Hal.
Perhaps it was just a document with a TOC which let you select each of the 5 answers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
so you got 5 answers to one question? were they all different? I need to sneak the the Kindle from the Mrs and "play" with NowNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post

Hal.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
We've seen something similar with periodicals. It's not really folders.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Oops

Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Is there a way to make our own "TOC"s that would work like this?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Is there a way to make our own "TOC"s that would work like this?
Sure, just take a bunch of documents... create a Table of Contents that includes 1 enter with a link to the beginning of each document and make that into a single file. You should be able to use book designer or mobi creator to do this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once someone figures out where in the header of a MOBI file is the tag to change, maybe.

I seem to recall periodicals are in AZW format. (It should be noted that AZW is exactly the same as MOBI.) If so, then somewhere in the header of the MOBI file is a tag that tells the Kindle to group a bunch of ebooks.

Someone who has a newspaper subscription could give 4 or 5 issues to one of our MOBI experts, and ask them to figure it out.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I'd be happy to do that--who should I send them to?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Me too -- where do I send them?
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I PMed someone with a suggestion and a link to this thread. Let's see what happens.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I PMed someone with a suggestion and a link to this thread. Let's see what happens.
He PMed med You can always send them vis PM, webpage or to tpe at ida.liu.se.

I actually have two such file since I looked at this problem half a year ago together with a Kindle owner but we did not find the correct combination. mobi2mobi has some flags that are just useful for experimenting with this.

Here is the output from one of these files:
Quote:
Database Name: The_Wall_Street_Journal
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 120
Resdb:
AppInfoDirty:
ctime: -883754885 - Tue Dec 30 09:31:55 1941
mtime: -883754863 - Tue Dec 30 09:32:17 1941
baktime: -2082844800 - Fri Jan 1 01:00:00 1904
---------------------------------------------------
FIRST IMG Record Id: 97
---------------------------------------------------
Image record index: 97 (494 x 45)
START IMAGE INDEX: 97
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 97
PDHEADER Version: 17480
PDHEADER Length: 375109
PDHEADER NRecords: 92
PDHEADER Recsize: 4096
PDHEADER Unknown: 131072
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 1
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 116
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 228
MOBIHEADER booktype: 257 - NEWS
MOBIHEADER codep: 65001
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 301654910
MOBIHEADER ver: 5
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 88
MOBIHEADER language: 1033 - 9 - 1 - ENGLISH - ENGLISH_US
COVEROFFSET: 0
THUMBOFFSET: 0
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 388
EXTH n_items: 17
EXTH item: 106 - PublishingDate - 10 - 2007-12-31
EXTH item: 100 - Author - 23 - The Wall Street Journal
EXTH item: 101 - Publisher - 23 - The Wall Street Journal
EXTH item: 109 - Rights - 63 - © Copyright 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Al l Rights Reserved
EXTH item: 300 - 300 - 46 - 0x300020000000000800000000000000000bef4edec1bd1a9 1e11e741ac
EXTH item: 204 - 204 - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 205 - 205 - 4 - 0x0006
EXTH item: 206 - 206 - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 207 - 207 - 4 - 0x00022
EXTH item: 502 - LastUpdateTime - 15 - 2007-12-31T0000
EXTH item: 401 - ClippingLimit - 4 - 0x00064
EXTH item: 1 - drm_server_id - 9 - EBOOKBASE
EXTH item: 2 - drm_commerce_id - 11 - AMAZON_1110
EXTH item: 113 - ASIN - 10 - B00123DRDG
EXTH item: 114 - VersionNumber - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 403 - 403 - 1 - 0x0
EXTH item: 501 - CDEContentType - 4 - NWPR
LONGTITLE: The Wall Street Journal
LASTID: 119
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
For the EXTH header it seems that 400-499 is "application binary" and 500-599 is "application string". So I think these headers are Kindle specific.

The flags to use in mobi2mobi to test different things are probably:
Code:
--booktype number
--exthtype number --exthdata number
--delexthtype number
I can also say that I read the decompiled Java code for the Kindle but did not find how a collection/subfolder was detected. Maybe somebody else that have read the code can help?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could it simply be that the Kindle is creating a TOC page "on the fly" for the periodical?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

That could be, Harry. But how does the Kindle know to to this? Why only certain files?

If this can be identified and duplicated, then we might be able to use it to organize our ebooks by author, series, etc.