Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
four30
four30 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Genre to Collections

Hey Folks!

I am using calibre to manage my sony reader.

I have setup a Genre column like explained here.

Is is possible to turn the genres into collections on the sony reader? I have managed to get tags, aba, abt, etc working, but not my hierarchical genres. I am not using tags because I am downloading metadata and there are just too many tags to be useful...

Any suggestions?

p.s. anybody know why the calible tutorial sets the Genre field with the technial name #genre instead of just genre?
four30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by four30 View Post
p.s. anybody know why the calible tutorial sets the Genre field with the technial name #genre instead of just genre?
That bit is easy to answer - the fact the field name starts with # means that it is a custom column.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by four30 View Post
Is is possible to turn the genres into collections on the sony reader? I have managed to get tags, aba, abt, etc working, but not my hierarchical genres. I am not using tags because I am downloading metadata and there are just too many tags to be useful...

Any suggestions?
Put #genre in the box where you put aba and abt.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
four30

thanks for the replies...

I've tried both these, but no luck.

#genre

series, #genre, abt:All by Title, aba:All by Author

Maybe I have to just bite the bullet and work with tags....
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It does work. I use it all the time on my 300.

Is the name of your column really #genre? What do you see when you hover your mouse over the column heading? You should see 'The lookup/search name is "#genre"'. Check the spelling carefully. It must exactly match what you are putting in the series box.

What have you set "metadata management" to? That configuration item is in preferences -> sending books to device. If you are letting calibre manage collections (you are *not* manually creating them), then automatic is generally best for Sonys.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
four30

they work

thanks chaley,

it works now.

The key was automatic metadata management.

Might also be that I removed the spaces in the comma separated list.
eg. series,#genre,...

Cheers!

Tags
calibre, collections, genre, sony reader