Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
nutttmegg
nutttmegg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
how to i upload books & in what format?

I have a Mac and just recently bought a Sony ereader. I heard calibre is GREAT and works well with adding on ebooks and organizing everything. However, I'm having a difficult time determining which books (formats) I am able to use with Calibre. Give me a step by step on how to add a book to my ereader? Thanks!
nutttmegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I moved this thread, since it will probably get better attention and answers here.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you looked here in our wiki for more info?

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Calibre.

Will give you some beginning info at least.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You can upload almost any ebook format into Calibre and convert that ebook into a format that will work on your Sony as long as the ebook uploaded is not DRM'd. (DRM is a coding put on the ebook by the originator that restricts use of the ebook to a specific device).

The formats that work on your Sony without conversion are PDF, EPUB and LRF so any legally obtained copy of an ebook in those formats should work on your Sony.

You can use PDF format ebooks downloaded from many U.S. libraries, and free ebooks from this site as well as purchased ebooks from ebook stores.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
nutttmegg

i purchased a book from fictionwise in Secure Adobe Reader but I can't seem to load it. Is there a way I can find out easily which books I can load and ones I can't? I don't know the different between all of them
Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
If you downloaded an Adobe Reader file, do you have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer? I needed that to access secure adobe files.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
nutttmegg

Do you have a mac? Do you know how to put ebooks on your ereader? if so, could you please provide me a step-by-step list? I'm sorry but I'm desperate. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to purchase a kindle
Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Sorry, I'll try but I'm no expert! I don't have a mac, but I don't use the sony software much. Generally I use calibre, so I hope it would be the same either way. (Also I haven't bought from Fictionwise, but I'm thinking the process will be much the same whichever shop you buy from.)

This is a from the beginning guide:

1) Download & install calibre
2) Download & install Adobe Digital Editions (available here if you don't have it).
3) Buy book and download file from the site.
4) Find where the file is saved on your computer and open it. It should open in Digital Editions. (When you have done this the file is fine and you can close Adobe DE)
5) Open calibre.
6) Go to Add Books and add the book you have just bought - Digital Editions usually saves it for me in My Documents> My Digital Editions
7) Book is now in your calibre library.
8) Connect your reader to your computer.
9) Click on the book and then click on "Send to device"

It should work, but let us know how you get on and we can give help for any further problems. These instructions make sense to me, but I'm not a teacher so they might not be very useful for anyone else.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
<hijack>

Maybe some nice Sony owners could create a Visual Sony Guide to help the new owners with the basics (or more if they so choose).

Just a suggestion.

</hijack>
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
ruth1304
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
<hijack>

Maybe some nice Sony owners could create a Visual Sony Guide to help the new owners with the basics (or more if they so choose).

Just a suggestion.

</hijack>
Excellent idea, I'll make a start, but I'm waiting for feedback on my instructions from nutttmegg before I go too far!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
nutttmegg

i did everything you said but when i tried uploading it, i got an error message that said they couldn't send it because there weren't any suitable formats found. what do i do?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Excellent idea, I'll make a start, but I'm waiting for feedback on my instructions from nutttmegg before I go too far!
Make it a wiki page if you can, so that it is easy to update without having to search a thread for changes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
ruth1304
Addict

OK, I have been checking it out. There are 2 steps in Adobe Digital Editions that I forgot because you only have to do them once.

1) Authorise your computer - go to the LIBRARY drop down menu (see picture) and choose Authorize computer.

2) Authorise your reader - ensure that your sony reader is connected to the computer and open Adobe Digital Editions. It should detect your reader and ask you to authorise it.

I'm sorry if you've already done that, but let me know how you get on!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
ruth1304
Addict

Sorry forgot to attach pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE Computer Authorisation.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	30817  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
nutttmegg

...i don't see the LIBRARY drop down. but i did subscribe to it and became a member when i first downloaded it....