Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cyanomod 10 on SD on Nook Color.

Liliputing.com has an article about installing CM 10 on an SD card to bring Android 4.1 to the Nook Color without rooting internal memory. The article links to XDA-Developers at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1941858 which is a How-to.
My question is: Will this work on my 8GB Nook Tablet? The original article on Liliputing and the one on XDA doesn't mention this.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You cannot use the same images for Tablet and Color. Check out XDA Nook Tablet section to see options available for the Tablets.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
Liliputing.com has an article about installing CM 10 on an SD card to bring Android 4.1 to the Nook Color without rooting internal memory. The article links to XDA-Developers at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1941858 which is a How-to.
My question is: Will this work on my 8GB Nook Tablet? The original article on Liliputing and the one on XDA doesn't mention this.
I had CM9 running for a while on the EMMC of the NookColor and it became too slow, so I went back to CM7. Also some features were not working; but by all means, give it a try on the SD (you've got nothing to lose) and see what you think of it - CM10 may be better than CM9 was.

On the other hand, I have CM10 running on the NookTablet and that's a totally different ballpark. It is still alpha, but it is so much better than CM9 was on the Color, the dual-core CPU, double RAM and all the goodies baked into JB make a big difference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
You can use the instructions and supplementary software tools posted here (see also here and here for more details) to build a SD card running CM10 (or CM9 or both (selectable "dual-boot")) for the Nook Tablet.

My NT is currently running CM10 off a SD card made this way and it works pretty nicely for most purposes (the swipe/touch response-delay is not sufficiently responsive for video gaming).

Last edited by livramax; 10-20-2012 at 04:19 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies. I tried the instructions cited here and on the Liliputing article I referenced above but I couldn't get them to work. My NT is 8GB and the cyanogenmod 10 file that I downloaded is cm10-acclaim-0.06-full-of-bugs. I suppose the problem could be with it or with the .img (generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-larger-Rev5) file that's supposed to create the bootable SD card. I would appreciate some help listing specific files to use creating the SD card. I've used win32diskimager to write the card and tried both 8GB and 16GB Sandisk uSD cards. TIA.

Last edited by fredlave; 10-22-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add text.
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here the process I follow to build a CM10 SD card for my 16GB Nook Tablet:
  1. Create 3 partitions using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition per the instructions in step #1 here: sdcard, system, and data. Make sure that you set the partition ID type for the sdcard partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag, otherwise the SDcard will not be bootable. Once this is done, the sdcard partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows. (Note that you can adjust the suggested sizes of the partitions upward to fill up the entire SDcard).
  2. Copy the following files from cm10-acclaim-0.06_sd_hd_10_11.zip (obtained here) to the sdcard partition: boot.img (in folder p2), flashing_boot.img, MLO, recovery.img, u-boot.bin.
  3. Replace updater-script in cm10-acclaim-0.06-full-of-bugs (in folder META-INF\com\google\android) with the updater-script from cm10-acclaim-0.06_sd_hd_10_11.zip (in folder p2).
  4. Replace updater-script in gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip (in folder META-INF\com\google\android) with the updater-script from gapps-jb-20120726_sd_hd.zip (obtained here) (in folder p2).
  5. Copy to the sdcard partition cm10-acclaim-0.06-full-of-bugs and gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip with the replacement updater-scripts files (which cause the CM10 ROM and JellyBean Google apps to be installed on the SDcard rather than on your NT itself).
You should now have a bootable SD card with 7 files on it, ready for the 2nd phase of the SDcard build described in step #4 here.

Also, if your NT is like mine, you will have to plug in the powered USB cable to the NT in its power-off state -- in order for the NT to boot from the SDcard.

Last edited by livramax; 11-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I had CM9 running for a while on the EMMC of the NookColor and it became too slow, so I went back to CM7. Also some features were not working; but by all means, give it a try on the SD (you've got nothing to lose) and see what you think of it - CM10 may be better than CM9 was.
I just installed the CM10 alpha on my NC today, and so far it's much better than CM9, mainly due to hardware graphics acceleration. I'd fallen back on CM7, too, because CM9 was slowing, hanging, and even spontaneously rebooting.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
fredlave
Connoisseur

Thank you Livramax for the instructions. I did manage to get CM 10 running on my Nook Tablet after a few attempts. I found that the formatting of the SD card was crucial. MiniTool formatter worked very well after Sdformatter failed - it left a small partition at the front of the card the I suspect prevented it from booting even if otherwise set up properly. Also, modifying the two .zip files (cm10-acclaim-0.06-full-of-bugs and gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip) is tricky and needs to be done using WinRar to manipulate the .zip contents in situ. All in all I learned a great deal doing this. Thanks again Livramax.

Last edited by fredlave; 10-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
livramax
Addict

From what I've read and experienced the NT OMAP3 SD boot process is very finicky about the SDcard boot-partition's setup. Fortunately MiniTool Partition Wizard generally does very good job in creating a FAT32 boot-partition with the expected cylinder/sector geometry and alignment, especially from scratch (i.e., on a SD card with no existing partition on it). So if an SD card repeatedly fails to boot it's best to delete all the partitions and start fresh.

Also, I have found it helps to first copy the MLO and u-boot files then the rest of the files, since MLO and u-boot are to be loaded first, and it appears that OMAP only scans the first few entries of the partition-table to look for these two files.

Finally it's worth noting that generally the lower rating (and also cheaper) class 4 SD cards are more suitable for running a ROM than the higher classes 6 and 10 cards (since the latter are optimized for large & sequential block read/write at the expense of random read/write). So if you happen to use a class 10 or 6 card and your apps frequently crash or freeze, consider switching to a lower class SD card.

Last edited by livramax; 10-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I just installed the CM10 alpha on my NC today, and so far it's much better than CM9, mainly due to hardware graphics acceleration. I'd fallen back on CM7, too, because CM9 was slowing, hanging, and even spontaneously rebooting.
Thanks, I'll give CM10 a shot on the color.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
One drawback I'm having and a few others have reported is that sound can sometimes cut out on you or get weirdly distorted upon plugging or unplugging headphones, or some people are reporting it after letting the device sleep and then waking it. It's not all the time and I've fixed it by repeatedly plugging and unplugging headphones once, and once by rebooting.

ETA: after that reboot, I've plugged and unplugged headphones several times with no ill effects.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin

I have now CM10 running on the NookColor. Definitively better than CM9, though you can see it's not up to par with the NookTablet on CM10 - the dual-core CPU and double RAM make a huge difference, it is much more snappier on the Tablet. That said, this gives new life to an otherwise obsolete tablet.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
I have now CM10 running on the NookColor. Definitively better than CM9, though you can see it's not up to par with the NookTablet on CM10 - the dual-core CPU and double RAM make a huge difference, it is much more snappier on the Tablet. That said, this gives new life to an otherwise obsolete tablet.
Oh nice! I was thinking of doing this....I'm ManualNooted on my Nook Color...but really much of what I do is just reading and very light browsing
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Oh nice! I was thinking of doing this....I'm ManualNooted on my Nook Color...but really much of what I do is just reading and very light browsing
Same here. For those tasks, the NC is perfectly suitable.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
I decided to give it a try on my NC but have just put back my CM7. To many problems with CM10 plus it will take me hours and hours to reinstall all my apps. Biggest problem I have encountered is the sleep of death. I almost always have had to shut down and re start after letting it go to sleep.

CM7 does everything I need in browsing, emails cool reader and the few games I have.

Getting a google Nexus 7 in a month or so.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote