Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
Boox Note screen scratches from stylus

Hello, I've been using my Note to annotate a PDF document for the past week or so. (Been working great). Today I noticed that if I tilt the screen slightly, I can see light scratches from the stylus etched into the soft surface. They don't seem to be fading away either. Is this a known issue with the Note or Max 2? I don't believe I was pressing too hard against the screen with the stylus (just normal pressure to write). And I've been keeping it inside a case.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes, there are lots of posts about this. The screen is not glass. It is E Ink Mobius. The best bet is to use a screen protector. It is a bit difficult to install but there are tips here in the forum.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max2
MAX2 - better used with a screen-protector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, there are lots of posts about this. The screen is not glass. It is E Ink Mobius. The best bet is to use a screen protector. It is a bit difficult to install but there are tips here in the forum.
Indeed, I've read about this myself and have 2 screen-protectors coming tomorrow with my MAX2 (from ereader.store) - hopefully I'll be able to put one on without making too-horrible a mess, but it sounds pretty difficult to do - gulp...
charliebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Haven't experienced such scratches on my Note yet, but then I have been using it more for reading.

Disappointing to hear that this scratching problem seems to be occurring on the Note now, too.

Hopefully, they will release a screen protector for the Note before too long.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
charliebub
Connoisseur
charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.charliebub has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Haven't experienced such scratches on my Note yet, but then I have been using it more for reading.

Disappointing to hear that this scratching problem seems to be occurring on the Note now, too.

Hopefully, they will release a screen protector for the Note before too long.
Hi, perhaps buy a MAX 2 protector and cut it down a little. Should work for the same screen technology.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, there are lots of posts about this. The screen is not glass. It is E Ink Mobius.
Wacom capacitive layer is the most upper layer. Much more easier to get scratched by stylus than E Ink layer. My Max1 did get scratched too but much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebub View Post
Hi, perhaps buy a MAX 2 protector and cut it down a little. Should work for the same screen technology.
When Boox note appear on the market, there is screen protector available. As far as I know, every Onyx Boox online and offline retailer in China gives buyer one piece of screen protector for free.

After I found the fact, I complained to my retailer, they give me two more for free.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks everyone. I bought this on Amazon US and didn’t see a screen protector offered. Maybe I wasn’t looking in the right place.

It just seems to me to be a design flaw if the screen is subject to scratching through normal use and the customer is expected to avoid this by making a separate purchase and applying it himself. The scratches are actually quite extensive now that I’m looking for them. I count about forty — mostly the result of underlining, which seems to damage it the most.

(I’m aware that culturally, everyone in China buys a screen protector for phones, tablets, everything, and even pays someone to apply it, so maybe Onyx was operating under the assumptions of its primary market.)

The scratches don’t seem to affect the functionality of the device, so I suppose I will just live with them. I bought this thing to use, not to put in a display case, so some wear and tear is normal.

I am annoyed, however, that a $550 device can have so many scratches after just a few days of normal use, and that Onyx didn’t bundle a screen protector (or better yet, just applied it at the factory).
Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
MadAstra
Enthusiast

I see now that Onyx has added to the US Amazon site a promotion to include a free protective film and a discount on the case. If you are going to buy the Note from there, make sure you take advantage of it.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just tried the MobileOutfitters matte film on the MaxCarta.
Details in the original flow:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...293576&page=29
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
I see now that Onyx has added to the US Amazon site a promotion to include a free protective film and a discount on the case.
Thank you for posting this. Didn't buy my Note from Amazon. However, just ordered a few of these screen protectors from them.

Unfortunately, as the screen protectors are classified as "add-on" products, you can only buy them if you purchase at least $25 of other items from Amazon. Annoying that, but in the end I bit the bullet. Better than potentially ending up with scratches on my screen.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:55 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Thank you for posting this. Didn't buy my Note from Amazon. However, just ordered a few of these screen protectors from them.

Unfortunately, as the screen protectors are classified as "add-on" products, you can only buy them if you purchase at least $25 of other items from Amazon. Annoying that, but in the end I bit the bullet. Better than potentially ending up with scratches on my screen.
Hello,

From http://Ereader.store, only 11,95 € WITH TAX for the Europe : 5.95 € + 6 € for the shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ereader.store.ScreenProtector_Price.png
Views:	408
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	164141  

Last edited by Randy11; 05-28-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #12
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Scratches on the image

Onyx is doing a terrible job both at communicating with the customers on the issue, and at solving the problem.

It is so simple. Apply that screen in the factory, and send a few protectors to the people who already bought the unprotected devices. Instead they are shoving the costs of their mistakes on us, completely disregarding the established norms of good behaviour in many countries outside China. Probably they don't realise how important is company reputation in most of the external markets.

I think Onyx will pay dearly later in market share, for being greedy for a few dollar per e-reader and disparaging its customers who put faith in their product.

For my part, they have lost a steady backer and customer for ever.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #13
charliebub
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

From http://Ereader.store, only 11,95 € WITH TAX for the Europe : 5.95 € + 6 € for the shipping.

Hi, I received my new Max2 from ereader store last week and am very, very pleased with it. At the same time I ordered 2 screen protectors and fitted one immediately after opening the Max2 - It's screen has never been touched!

Admittedly I made a complete & total mess of fitting the protector, finding it impossible to avoid quite a lot of bubbles....

However I soon found that the bubbles made no difference at all funtionally, the pen doesn't 'notice' them at all. The only effect they have is that I can see them at certain angles - no big deal to me as I'm too busy actually using the Max2 to take notes.
The way I look at this is that I bought the Max2 as a replacement (in part at least) for my many paper A4 notebooks that I use a lot every day in my small lab.
So, the bubbles have no functional effect and I regard them at this stage (that is to say before I have another go at applying the other new protector that I still have) as no more important than the occasional blemish or mark that always comes with real paper....

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend these protectors from ereader store as the knowledge that the actual screen is literally untouched is very reassuring to me.
The protector itself is excellent and looks and feels exactly the same as the screen of the Max2 (it feels the same in fact as the screen of the Note 10.3 that I returned to exchange for this bigger model). The 'pen' runs beautifully over it and with use it does (presumably by virtue of 'roughing-up' with wear) develop a nice writing-on-paper feel - although I love the totally-smooth (not glass-like however!) feel also.

John B.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hello,

Yes, I saw that. Unfortunately, the ereader.store doesn't currently seem to carry the size for the Note. The only place I found it was on the Amazon.com site.

I know I could have bought the one for the Max2 and cut it down to size, but I'm hoping that one made to measure will look and fit a little nicer.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Yes, I saw that. Unfortunately, the ereader.store doesn't currently seem to carry the size for the Note. The only place I found it was on the Amazon.com site.

I know I could have bought the one for the Max2 and cut it down to size, but I'm hoping that one made to measure will look and fit a little nicer.
Sorry, I've forgotten that it's for the note.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote