Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Alex and MacBook don't talk

The instructions say I should get a "Notifications" screen when I hook the Alex up through USB and then I have to mount the SD card. No "Notifications" screen , no sign of the Alex as a device on my laptop.
It's too late to get anyone at Spring Design on the phone tonight, too.

This had some potential; it cold-starts faster than the Nook, the page turns are a wee bit faster and it's got a (very slow) "Go To Page" function, but overall it's not as zippy as my Kindle 2, Sony 300 or my iPod/iPad combo. I think I may bite the 10% restocking fee bullet and send it back, like I should have done with the Nook 2 months ago.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Are you trying to mount the SD card from the Mac or from the Alex. With Android, the "Notifications" will slide down from the top. I'm only speaking from experience using Android and not the Alex.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
The instructions say I should get a "Notifications" screen when I hook the Alex up through USB and then I have to mount the SD card. No "Notifications" screen , no sign of the Alex as a device on my laptop.
It's too late to get anyone at Spring Design on the phone tonight, too.

This had some potential; it cold-starts faster than the Nook, the page turns are a wee bit faster and it's got a (very slow) "Go To Page" function, but overall it's not as zippy as my Kindle 2, Sony 300 or my iPod/iPad combo. I think I may bite the 10% restocking fee bullet and send it back, like I should have done with the Nook 2 months ago.
This is an Android quirk, and most (all?) Android devices share it. I just tried the following, and it worked:

Turn on the Alex. Plug in the USB. On the LCD screen, grab the white bar across the top and drag it down. If you see something that says USB, click it. When the menu pops up, select "Mount".

The Alex should now appear to be a USB drive on your computer.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I finally got that to drop down right after I posted my anguish. Now I can't get ADE to see the Alex, so I can't copy any of my ePub books over (yet). So far, this has been a lot more work than most of my other ereaders.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yeah, I finally got that to drop down right after I posted my anguish. Now I can't get ADE to see the Alex, so I can't copy any of my ePub books over (yet). So far, this has been a lot more work than most of my other ereaders.
Mount the Alex, and then turn on ADE.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I tried that, and ADE first then Alex. Neither seems to be working.
My Sony isn't recognized in ADE on my Mac either, but I can copy books over and read them just fine. When I tried that just now on the Alex it seems to have bunged up the SD card. I'm factory-resetting again right now.

Last edited by NNolan; 04-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Thumbs down

And now it's a brick. It froze last night around 10:08 and there's nothing in the manual that tells how to reset it when that happens. I'm going to send this back; it wasn't $400 worth of impressive even when it worked.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Is there an email for support? Perhaps you can inquire about how to reset the device. I'm sure it's disappointing to have issues with something you were anxiously awaiting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

Thumbs up It's Alllliiiiivvvveeee!!

I just talked to Customer Support at Spring Design: they suggested trying to recharge the battery again when the little reset button on the back isn't working, because sometimes the battery drains if/when the reader locks up.

A few hours from now, when it finishes charging, I'll take another crack at getting ADE and Alex on speaking terms.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I tried that, and ADE first then Alex. Neither seems to be working.
My Sony isn't recognized in ADE on my Mac either, but I can copy books over and read them just fine. When I tried that just now on the Alex it seems to have bunged up the SD card. I'm factory-resetting again right now.
I think the device not being recognized in ADE is a problem between the Mac and ADE.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I've got it working, finally, and all my books copied over. YAY!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #12
jen6060
Connoisseur
jen6060 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505 (given away); Sony prs300; Nook
Hi NNolan,
Pls post a review when you hv time- i'm really curious abt it. does it work now as you'd like it? how's browsing , speed etc..
jen6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #13
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

I still haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but last night with a full battery charge its response time was approaching Kindle speeds for everything but a cold start. It puts my Nook to shame. It's kind of like a Kindle with a little iPod Touch where the keyboard would be.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
press the reset button

Quote:
And now it's a brick. It froze last night around 10:08 and there's nothing in the manual that tells how to reset it when that happens. I'm going to send this back; it wasn't $400 worth of impressive even when it worked.
That happened to me. I sent them an email and they responded. there is a reset button on the back -- above and to the left of the sd card. Use a ball point pen or paper clip and push in. Then turn alex over and press and hold the power button. Mine turned on.

This reset button does not make you lose your settings or erase anything on the alex.

Frankly, I think a lot of initial frustration is because the alex is new. When my ipod froze up, I went to the web and found instructions for unfreezing it. There just isn't that information out there yet. As soon as I unfroze my screen, I fell in love, so you might want to give it another chance.
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
Quote:
I've got it working, finally, and all my books copied over. YAY!
OK, how did you get ADE to recognize Alex? Got a recipe?
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote