Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Kilroy
Kilroy began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Issues with Stanza when using two instances of Calibre?

My situation:
* Calibre installed on two of the machines on my network (desktop and laptop)
* iPod Touch with Stanza for my e-reading

The installation of Calibre on my laptop is more recent than my installation on my desktop. Some of the recent books I've added on my desktop, when I go to download then via sharing in Stanza, it indicates I've already downloaded them. I go to read the book... and it pulls up a completely different book that I downloaded weeks ago off of my desktop instance of Calibre!

What algorithm does Calibre/Stanza use to uniquely identify an ebook to know whether or not it's already been downloaded onto the iPod Touch?

I tried to peek at the RSS feed that Calibre generates, but the books that are getting confused have two different ids, so that doesn't seem to be the issue...

Thanks for any help! I'm loving Calibre -- what a fantastic tool!
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm I'm afraid I've no idea what algorithm stanza uses to decide if it has already downloaded a book
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
What algorithm does Calibre/Stanza use to uniquely identify an ebook to know whether or not it's already been downloaded onto the iPod Touch?
As far as I know, Stanza determines it based on the <id> tag used in the XML/catalog feed (e.g. <id>urn:calibre:1</id>). At least that's what I've noticed.

I've also got multiple installs of Calibre on various computers. Since I pass the libraries via PHP script and serve them using Apache, I've taken to changing the id so they're unique to each computer (e.g. urn:calibre:computer_name:index_number).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-10-2009 at 09:20 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
As far as I know, Stanza determines it based on the <id> tag used in the XML/catalog feed (e.g. <id>urn:calibre:1</id>). At least that's what I've noticed.

I've also got multiple installs of Calibre on various computers. Since I pass the libraries via PHP script and serve them using Apache, I've taken to changing the id so they're unique to each computer (e.g. urn:calibre:computer_name:index_number).
Maybe I should implement that in the calibre server
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Kilroy

Quote:

Hmm.... tricky, tricky.

Is the RSS feed located at localhost:8080/stanza the same as the feed that is passed via Bonjour to Stanza? The ids don't appear to match up (between the two books that are impersonating one another), unless I'm missing something.

Regardless, though, if that is what Stanza keys off of, that would explain why ids that do match up would be considered duplicates. Would it make sense to add this as an enhancement -- to be able to specify a name (or the computer name) for that id?

Code:
<id>urn:calibre:22</id>
<id>urn:COMPUTERNAME:22</id>
(I'm happy to enter the enhancement ticket myself, just wanted to verify that this is a reasonable request before I clutter the issue tracker :-) )

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies!
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Maybe I should implement that in the calibre server
Suggestion if you do, perhaps you can make it optional and customizable? Say, in the content server page, you can add a textbox for Stanza Unique Identifier with a tooltip mentioning "This option is for people who have Calibre installed on multiple computers and have different libraries on each computer". I know it's useful for me, but it seems a lot of people are using Dropbox to keep their Calibre libraries in sync. For them, this "feature" is a hassle

The ability to customize it is also good. Perhaps, people would like to use "laptop", "desktop", "mom" or "supercalifragilistic..." instead of computer name.

@Kilroy
Your suggestion wouldn't work. As far as I'm aware, Stanza just uses the first id it finds.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure go ahead and open a ticket. It would definitely be optional as adding it will break current users as Stanza will think no books have been downloaded
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Kilroy

Quote:
@Kilroy
Your suggestion wouldn't work. As far as I'm aware, Stanza just uses the first id it finds.
Ack! This is what happens when I'm trying to enter a post quickly before going to watch a TV show with my wife :-) I didn't mean for the two ids to be present simultaneously in the RSS/XML feed -- I just meant to compare what they would look like.

Making it optional sounds most ideal -- I agree that most users wouldn't want it to suddenly change on them.

@kovidgoyal
Perhaps I spoke too soon, offering to create the ticket! :-) It looks like the registration for the Calibre Trac system is currently broken? http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/register results in:

Code:
No handler matched request to /register
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the server is undergoing a software update, should be fixed later today.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Kilroy

Quote:
Yeah the server is undergoing a software update, should be fixed later today.
I'm able to create an account now, but privileges to create tickets don't appear to be set automatically?

When accessing http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/newticket :
Code:
Warning:  <acct_mgr.web_ui.MessageWrapper object at 0x4d38150>  

Error: Forbidden
TICKET_CREATE privileges are required to perform this operation
Sorry for all this -- I feel like I'm being a real bother.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Weird, just tested it with a new account. Try it again, maybe something else broke temporarily during the upgrade
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Kilroy

Quote:
Weird, just tested it with a new account. Try it again, maybe something else broke temporarily during the upgrade
Must have Created a new account and that one works fine (the other is still broken).

Here's the ticket: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/3137

Thanks again for everyone's help with identifying the issue!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Posting here since Trac is acting all wonky on me (Warning: <acct_mgr.web_ui.MessageWrapper object at 0x4e6ec90> )

Just a suggestion, eventually, might it be possible to use the ePUB file's md5 hash (or similar) as identifier? I know there's a request for detecting file duplication based on signature/hash. Once that's implemented, I think it would be a reasonably unique way to identify ebooks.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A good idea. Added to the ticket