Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
toscana17
toscana17 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
edits not saving

Hi,

I just started use Calibre today and I am new to this forum.

I am not sure which forum is best for this question. If there is one that is better than this one, please let me know.

I am attempting to make some edits in my existing ebook. I got my epub file into Calibre and figured out how to use the find/replace thing and I got my edits done. Except that I forgot two. I save the epub file to my desktop and then realized I had 2 more edits to do. I went back and did those. But ever since, I cannot get the final file with those last 2 edits to save. They show up in Calibre but not when I save to my desktop.

I have tried deleting all old epub files on my desktop and closing out Calibre and re-opening. I have gone through this a few times. Every time I can see that the edits are there/saved, in Calibre but when I save the epub file to my desktop and open it and check, the two new edits are not there.

I can't figure out what else to do. Would LOVE some help!

Thanks!
toscana17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are opening/saving/viewing different files.

Delete the file on your desktop. Then re-export from calibre, that should help calrify the situation for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #3
toscana17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are opening/saving/viewing different files.

Delete the file on your desktop. Then re-export from calibre, that should help calrify the situation for you.
Thanks very much for your reply. But did you see the last paragraph of my question? I have tried deleting all old epub files on my desktop and closing out Calibre and re-opening. I have gone through this a few times. Still doesn't work. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you using the Editor from the command-line?

I have never seen a 'Save', save the original and not the current.
I have had 'Save' fail (file system error message).
I have had 'Save' do that when I wish I had been slower to click ...<seeing a big goof>

Are you editing one format and viewing another.
BTW What are you using for a viewer?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Didn't there used to be an "original format" preservation feature in calibre that sometimes confused people as to which version of the ebook they were actually working with RE conversions? Forgive me if that's no longer a thing any more ... it's been a while.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
toscana17

Thanks for your replies. Well, I'm having a difficult time of it. I deleted everything and re-uploaded my epub file and now when I right click on it to select "edit book" and the editor comes up, it's blank. The book simply won't show up at all. So now things have gone from bad to worse. Such a bummer because I have only two small edits to make. Any ideas as to why it's blank in the editor? It is NOT blank if I double click on it and bring it up in E-book Viewer, I can see it clearly.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscana17 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Well, I'm having a difficult time of it. I deleted everything and re-uploaded my epub file and now when I right click on it to select "edit book" and the editor comes up, it's blank. The book simply won't show up at all. So now things have gone from bad to worse. Such a bummer because I have only two small edits to make. Any ideas as to why it's blank in the editor? It is NOT blank if I double click on it and bring it up in E-book Viewer, I can see it clearly.
Damaged content.opf
Look in the book browser (file list) at the edge.
Are ALL the file names in TEXT section, images in Images, CSS in stylesheets?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
toscana17

Are you talking about in the editor or in the library? I am not seeing a "file list at the edge"
Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
toscana17

I got it to show up by clicking on 'view'
now I will try edits again and let you know if I have any trouble.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Click the "Open Containing Folder" from the main Calibre window after you've edited your file and saved it. Then you will be able to click on the file you edited in order to open it (and move it to whatever folder you'd like, including your desktop). If you don't have an "Open Containing Folder" button on the top menu in the main window, go to Preferences and add it to the main window.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Click the "Open Containing Folder" from the main Calibre window after you've edited your file and saved it. Then you will be able to click on the file you edited in order to open it (and move it to whatever folder you'd like, including your desktop). If you don't have an "Open Containing Folder" button on the top menu in the main window, go to Preferences and add it to the main window.
That will result in a 'broken library', because the the calibre database will not be coherent with content of the book folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That will result in a 'broken library', because the the calibre database will not be coherent with content of the book folder.

BR
It won't for me. I move all .epub files into their own author folders and have never used a Calibre library. I have to be organized in my own computer tech way. What I told him will work for his single .epub that he wants to keep on his desktop--or for any other method of storing .epub files. Anyone who uses Calibre doesn't have to use the Calibre library.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing, epub, saving