Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
robot
Edge User

nonconceived power management

my observations (and suggestions) on power consumption of eDG.
I turn-on eDGe (with wi-fi connection) start some application and then leave it in sleep mode.
After about 7hours I check battery level (9%) and battery usage was as follow:
phone idle 42%
wi-fi 48%
display 8%
android system 4%
android os 4%

So the questions is:
1. what the F is "phone idle" which used 42% of battery? Theres were no apps with background activity during test. So idle process must not take power at all (exept for system time or crontab).
2. Really bad wi-fi management. Wi-fi should turn off automatically in the absence of network activity for some time (as in mobile phones wich turnoff wifi 3minutes after screen was turned off for example. And yes, it must automatically reconnect to current wifi by reqest of background application when network activity detected. At least they must lower power of wi-fi adapter.
3. Why there's two adroid o.s.? I mean os and system?

So, my working day at the university usually lasts about 8 hours. With the active use of eDGe battery lasts only for 5 hours. Compare this to 30 hours on iRex with wi-fi enabled (200hours without wifi), or with mobile phone (40 hours with wi-fi enabled), or with iPad (10 hours)... When making devices for work outside of the home battery time is criticall. So I really hope that in next firmware we will get better power management (include custom power profiles, and options to disable autoshutdown when battery level dropdown to 15%).
Also there's must be more usage for e-ink display (not only pdf and epub, but other text formats, or static data output including web-browsing) since it has no need in power (except when screen refreshed).
I think that those changes will improve battery time to 10-15 hours.

p.s. also I wanted to send this info via ticket to eDGe support, but seems that their ticket system doesn't work.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Eddy R
Edge User

7+hours, 15%, WiFi understandable, Phone??
Goto Forum. Search "Phone". Question answered.
...Thank you!

Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
robot
Edge User

Thanks for old thread, but since there's steel no solution, I think it will be good, to notify eDGe support once again about this problem

I understand what is "phone idle". But look at the numbers. I can accept "phone idle 42%" with "wi-fi 48%" in terms of time used (CPU time), but there's absolutly no way to get same numbers in terms of power consumption.

Also I checked once again, wi-fi is always ON in sleep mode (the same with trackball light, which also earn some power).

Once again. Compare eDGe to other e-book readers, which also use linux platform, and wich also have some "idle proccesses" but can work x10 times longer than "eDGe in sleep mode".
And compare them with other android mobiles, which have at least GPRS allways on (and sometimes GPS or wi-fi as well) and steel can work x3 times longer than "eDGe in sleep mode".