Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Right clicker dying?

Anybody else think that the right page turner is slowly dying? I got my Kobo when they first came out. It no longer makes the click sound and I feel like I have to push just a bit harder for it to turn.

I wonder if it no longer works prior to the end of my 1 year warranty, if I can replace it.

Poor Kobo, so many hiccups
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I know Kobo has replaced readers with defective clickers. That's the kind of manufacturer's defect covered under warranty.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Just wondering if this will happen to all Kobos in a short period of time, just seems like it is inevitable with the design of the button.
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I've had mine since early July - the right side of the blue button is starting to come away from the case but is still works. If it gets worse I may look at logging a support call about it.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I know that I have seen this complaint a handful of times on the various places I check, but not all that often. I'm not particularly worried about the button wearing out, but if you have a bit of a problem with it while it is still under warranty, you'd be smart to deal with it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Dorian_Gray
Dorian_Gray began at the beginning.

The RHS of my navigation button came away from the housing about two weeks ago (I've had the Kobo since the original release, mid May? ~30+ books). Nothing a wee bit of krazy glue didn't fix. Meh. I'm waiting for my wifi to arrive.

If the same happens to the wifi in such a short period, I guess I'll need to look @ a more rugged device.

I think this will definitely be an issue as time progresses for the Kobo.
Dorian_Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
The one I had and gave to my mom, on the right side the rubber has disconnected from the Kobo, so when she presses the button there's a small gap.

But it will last her to Christmas, she's asked for the Kindle, since she's envies mine. I think I'll sell it for $50 (maybe.)
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

I've found that the lack of audible 'click' when page turning can be an indication of low battery with my reader ...

However, I too have seen people complaining about short life wear with the blue button.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I've had mine since early July - the right side of the blue button is starting to come away from the case but is still works. If it gets worse I may look at logging a support call about it.
I had that problem too and I just took it to Chapters. They gave me a new one instantly.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

I've had mine for a few weeks and it's already feeling kind of off. Also it looks kind of stained already, probably from oils from my skin. Yes, I wash my hands =P

Kobo should have researched a material that would have held up a bit better...
dos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Give the dpad a clean with a lint free cloth (glasses lens cleaner cloth) moistened (not wet) in a little water and dish washing liquid, should come up tickety-boo.

I have a black Kobo with the grey coloured dpad button. Looks fine.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
dos
Enthusiast
dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.dos can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Give the dpad a clean with a lint free cloth (glasses lens cleaner cloth) moistened (not wet) in a little water and dish washing liquid, should come up tickety-boo.

I have a black Kobo with the grey coloured dpad button. Looks fine.
Yeah, I do this. But I also own tons of hand held electronics that I've had for years that don't change their appearance after a few weeks of moderate use.

I've had an Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii since their respective release dates and their materials look fine. My Logitech MX510 mouse has been in use for at least five years and looks fine. My ancient Sony keyboard looks fine. My DS and PSP look fine etc etc etc

Companies put a lot of time testing materials to see which ones hold up under stress and what chemicals and coatings and paints are resistant to the natural oils the human body secretes.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
So yet again you are singling out the Kobo?

Our family room HTPC is controlled by a Microsoft remote control. All the silver has come of the plastic around the edges. Still works fine. It is only a year old.

Should I blame Microsoft for shoddy worksmanship and design or accept that use of the device results in wear and tear?

How many times do you hit the reset/eject and power buttons of your gaming consoles per minute?

If you want a device that lasts longer then Sony are about the best in the ereader world for construction. Aluminium shell and all that.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
dos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
So yet again you are singling out the Kobo?
This is the Kobo forum, where we come to discuss the Kobo. I call em as I see em, I don't own any other e-readers so I can't really comment on their pros and cons. I do however own other, similar electronic devices

Quote:
Should I blame Microsoft for shoddy worksmanship and design
Yes. Also, keep in mind this isn't after a few years of intense use, this is after two weeks.

Quote:
How many times do you hit the reset/eject and power buttons of your gaming consoles per minute?
I was referring to the controllers of the game consoles, which get just as much abuse as the Kobo's dpad, if not more.

I've had a Super Nintendo since 1991, and while the console itself is yellowed due to a flaw in the design of the plastics (The chemical used changed color when the console got warm- Nintendo noticed the problem and fixed it in the next revision of the same console), the controller is still perfect. The SNES is my favorite game system and I play it more than the three current gen consoles combined.

EDIT: Here is my collection of SNES controllers. These are over 15-20 years old and I use them a lot:

The controller in the upper right is a Japanese version and they used a darker shade of gray than the US version, that isn't yellowed or anything.

Quote:
If you want a device that lasts longer then Sony are about the best in the ereader world for construction. Aluminium shell and all that.
Oddly enough Sony readers I see in stores always look beat to hell, I don't think they age very well at all. The construction is solid though, as is Kobo's.

This is an aesthetic problem, not a build quality issue- I think Kobo's build quality is wonderful and is in my opinion the most "high quality" feeling ereader next to the Sonys, which are built like tanks but I find them uncomfortable to hold. Kobo's quilted back and smooth plastic front are great, and much nicer than cold metal!

I just wish the d-pad could be made to a higher standard.

EDIT: This really isn't a HUGE issue. It's understandable, it's their first device. I'm not trying to stir up animosity or bash Kobo, I just like bringing up problems I notice and providing feedback so the next generation of devices are even better. Companies value this sort of detailed user feedback, individual experiences vary greatly and can be much more enlightening for designers than lab tests.

Last edited by dos; 10-23-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #15
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
It's true about the material. Only thing is that all of those controllers that you mentioned (to the best of my knowledge) have a hard plastic piece whereas the kobo is a five directional soft plastic and it seems like the soft plastic part is the part that is dislodging/discoloring for some people...not sure if there are too many reasonably priced options for soft plastics...but imagine the kobo having a directional pad like the NES controllers! lol

PS I'm glad you're still around dos...i recalled you having pretty 'heated discussions' with some other forum members previously.

Last edited by Achan; 10-23-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added a PS
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote