Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
swapjim
swapjim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Are there any readers that don't support Greek?

I'll be reading novels in Greek. Are there readers that don't support (at all or well) Greek text? I expect the answer to be "no" but I want to make sure. I'm leaning toward Tolino Shine 2 HD or Kobo Aura 2nd Edition.

If there's anyone who would like to do a test for me, or out of curiosity, I've attached a sample eBook I prepared for this. It has all the greek letters, plus some sample greek text from the Gutenberg project. I place this sample under the Public Domain, for anyone to use.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Greek-text-sample.epub (6.1 KB, 126 views)
swapjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapjim View Post
I'll be reading novels in Greek. Are there readers that don't support (at all or well) Greek text? I expect the answer to be "no" but I want to make sure. I'm leaning toward Tolino Shine 2 HD or Kobo Aura 2nd Edition.

If there's anyone who would like to do a test for me, or out of curiosity, I've attached a sample eBook I prepared for this. It has all the greek letters, plus some sample greek text from the Gutenberg project. I place this sample under the Public Domain, for anyone to use.
The only major issue I've seen with Greek books is making sure the font used supports the Greek alphabet/glyphs when displaying them on a Kobo ereader. If I transfer the font I used for testing on my KA1 to the Tolino epos, it displays the books with no noticeable issues so the Shine should work. The fonts I've used for this were Charis Gentium and Noto Serif Display. Amazon's Bookerly works as well. Code2000 works but the glyphs are not great.

Gentium is downloadble from SIL's website at Gentium Download if you wish to give it a try.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-08-2018 at 11:37 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To follow up DNSB's comment, reading ePubs on a Kobo with font that is missing glyphs from the font is quite annoying; there is no indication that a character is not displayed.

If you convert the ePub to a kePub the Access engine will use an alternate font to display the missing character.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
swapjim

Hello again. I was away for a month. I've got a one more question.

So if one Greek book displays properly on the reader, all the rest will too, right? If yes, then I only need to take a sample eBook (containing just the Greek alphabet) to the store (selling the reader) and ask them to test it.

I've done a quick search on the web and I can see that I can easily add a custom font on Kobo (don't know about Tolino yet) and can choose to use that on all my books. Serves as a back up solution and it sounds quicker than editing all my ebooks.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello again. I was away for a month. I've got a one more question.

So if one Greek book displays properly on the reader, all the rest will too, right? If yes, then I only need to take a sample eBook (containing just the Greek alphabet) to the store (selling the reader) and ask them to test it.
Yes.

Quote:
I've done a quick search on the web and I can see that I can easily add a custom font on Kobo (don't know about Tolino yet) and can choose to use that on all my books. Serves as a back up solution and it sounds quicker than editing all my ebooks.
It's almost as easy to add a custom font to a Tolino (I have the Epos) as to a Kobo ereader. The only issue I find is that Kobo will use the font used in the last book as the default font for a new book while Tolino goes back to their "publisher default". A minor annoyance.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
swapjim

Excellent! Thanks everyone!