Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
CC transfer via USB cable

Is it possible to transfer books via USB cable instead of wireless? My internet is being crazy lately and seems to stop working when I am attempting to transfer book. Yes I am 100% sure it is my internet and not something else. Company is attempting to work on the problem but problem is in several different areas around me so it will take several weeks until fixed.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
CC is designed to transfer either via the wireless device connection or by downloading from the Calibre server. AFAIK USB transfer won't work.

You say your internet is messed up, do you have your books on an external Calibre server somewhere else or??? The wireless device connection requires that you have wifi, but not internet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
CC is designed to transfer either via the wireless device connection or by downloading from the Calibre server. AFAIK USB transfer won't work.

You say your internet is messed up, do you have your books on an external Calibre server somewhere else or??? The wireless device connection requires that you have wifi, but not internet.
My books are stored on my external drive. A few Amish farmers in my area put up new fences. Well the fence enclosed the box for phones. My internet is through ATT. The cattle in the fence have damaged the box (don't know what else to call it). So ATT is attempting to repair the boxes but they think lines have been damaged also.

I just wanted to be able to load my Kindle up with books because I was told I might lose internet tomorrow and it could be out for up to 2 weeks. Everything is wireless. I have a router but I know from the past when my internet is out I cannot connect CC to Calibre.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Huh, I've been able to access CC when the Internet is out.

If your device has an SD slot then you should be able to load a calibre library on an SD card and access it through CC's cloud connection.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Huh, I've been able to access CC when the Internet is out.

If your device has an SD slot then you should be able to load a calibre library on an SD card and access it through CC's cloud connection.
When my internet has been out before I have never been able to access Calibre. I always get some message about no internet. I cannot remember the exact message. I do not know if it makes a difference but my router is from ATT.

I have a 4th generation Kindle Fire. No SD slot.
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC cannot use a cabled connection. Sorry.

CC does not require internet access to connect to calibre. However, the router or the device running CC might require such a connection.

Of possible interest: our FAQ I am in a hotel/airport/? and cannot connect CC to my computer by WiFi. How can I transfer books? discusses various ways to connect CC to calibre in situations where there is no internet connection or no wifi connection between the device and calibre (amongst other things).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
My books are stored on my external drive.
If your device is rooted and if it supports USB OTG then CC's "local disk cloud connection' can access the data. The thread [Android] Cloud feature, USB flash drive access has more information.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Maybe create a peer to peer ad hoc WiFi network between the PC and the Tablet?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe create a peer to peer ad hoc WiFi network between the PC and the Tablet?
Android doesn't support ad hoc wifi out of the box. If a device is rooted then it is possible. This is why we suggest creating a "temporary" access point using tethering or SW on the computer running calibre.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
CC cannot use a cabled connection. Sorry.

CC does not require internet access to connect to calibre. However, the router or the device running CC might require such a connection.

Of possible interest: our FAQ I am in a hotel/airport/? and cannot connect CC to my computer by WiFi. How can I transfer books? discusses various ways to connect CC to calibre in situations where there is no internet connection or no wifi connection between the device and calibre (amongst other things).
Well my router must require internet because it will not work without it. I will just load my Kindle with several hundred books until my problem is fixed. No big deal for me. If I desperately need a book I can always take my computer and external drive to a friends house and send it that way.
Thanks a bunch. Now I wonder how many books my Kindle will hold. Guess I will find out
Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:
If your device is rooted and if it supports USB OTG then CC's "local disk cloud connection' can access the data. The thread [Android] Cloud feature, USB flash drive access has more information.
If rooted is the same a jail break then no it is not. I side load most apps that are not allowed at Amazon App Store. I prefer reading on a different reader app than the Kindle Reader. Just me but I like being able to change specific stuff in the book.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Is it possible to transfer books via USB cable instead of wireless? My internet is being crazy lately and seems to stop working when I am attempting to transfer book. Yes I am 100% sure it is my internet and not something else. Company is attempting to work on the problem but problem is in several different areas around me so it will take several weeks until fixed.
Transfer using USB directly from Calibre to your device... no need for CC in that case... I used to do that (and I checked it again now) for my Kindle and Android Tablet.

Last edited by NSILMike; 04-21-2017 at 09:01 AM.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Transfer using USB directly from Calibre to your device... no need for CC in that case...
CC won't see books transferred by cable, which may or may not be OK.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
CC won't see books transferred by cable, which may or may not be OK.
It does on my samsung android tablet... when I double checked to make sure it still worked, I could see content on both devices (PC and tablet) via Calibre. Or do you mean once I disconnect anything I had transferred via USB will be invisible to CC?
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
It does on my samsung android tablet... when I double checked to make sure it still worked, I could see content on both devices (PC and tablet) via Calibre. Or do you mean once I disconnect anything I had transferred via USB will be invisible to CC?
The latter. Books transferred by cable are not added to CC's database. The only exception is if all of these conditions are true:
  • The books are put in the proper CC folder
  • CC's "Scan on connect" option is enabled
  • CC successfully does a wireless connect
  • Calibre can reliably match the books to the library, something true only for certain formats such as epub.
The third condition is the bother in this scenario. If wireless connections were possible then the question wouldn't arise.