Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #31
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Just borrowed a book from the Miami-Dade public library. Very cool.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #32
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Denver Public Library has Kindle books, checked out my first this AM. Front Range Downloadable Library (i.e., Boulder) also has it.

Very nice, very easy.

Last edited by JDK1962; 09-22-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Status of Front Range Downloadable Library changed.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #33
rbrusuelas
rbrusuelas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
South Montgomery County Library (just north of Houston) has Kindle and OverDrive... yahoo!
rbrusuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #34
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Has anybody else noticed that it seems like the libraries have more copies of the books now that the kindle option is live? I had (or have) several books on hold at 2 different libraries that I thought I was several weeks away from getting, and I was remembering the libraries only having one or two copies of each. Suddenly I've either got the book or I'm at the top of the waiting list, and the total number of copies that the libraries have is much higher - double or more.

I'm not sure about any of this because I'm just going by memory on the number of copies they had before the change, so I'm interested to know if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Very nice, very easy.
I agree. I'm impressed with the way they implemented Kindle e-book borrowing!

Wireless delivery is fantastic. I like that you can view the checked-out books in your account at Amazon ("Manage Your Kindle"). I have access to several libraries, and it's nice to have all the borrowed e-books displayed at Amazon. If you click on the plus sign in front of the book title, it shows when it's due. And you can return books early via "Actions," to the right of the book title.

I checked out three e-books today. Now I need to set aside lots of time for reading!

Last edited by DreamWriter; 09-22-2011 at 12:15 AM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #36
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Has anybody else noticed that it seems like the libraries have more copies of the books now that the kindle option is live? I had (or have) several books on hold at 2 different libraries that I thought I was several weeks away from getting, and I was remembering the libraries only having one or two copies of each. Suddenly I've either got the book or I'm at the top of the waiting list, and the total number of copies that the libraries have is much higher - double or more.

I'm not sure about any of this because I'm just going by memory on the number of copies they had before the change, so I'm interested to know if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
I'm a Sony and Kindle owner, been doing EPUB at libraries for a while. I didn't notice any increase in copy count when the Kindle versions arrived. I think what you are seeing is the library buys more copies when holds on a book get over a certain number. I'm not sure how that works, but it definately happens.

Last edited by davem2bits; 09-21-2011 at 11:32 PM.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post

I had something similar happen to me today. There was 1 copy and 6 people in line in front of me last night and now suddenly I get notice It's my turn.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I had something similar happen to me today. There was 1 copy and 6 people in line in front of me last night and now suddenly I get notice It's my turn.
...you cut in line, didn't you?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #39
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I asked my library about ebooks awhile ago, I might as well have asked them when they would be getting the transporter system installed by the look i got. The only way I will ever have library ebooks would be if I moved.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #40
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I asked my library about ebooks awhile ago, I might as well have asked them when they would be getting the transporter system installed by the look i got. The only way I will ever have library ebooks would be if I moved.
There area couple of libraries that you can join (for a fee) without being a resident. Free library of Philadelphia now has Kindle books and you can join online.
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The Download page does not show the item you just checked out: the area where it should be is just blank, and no Send to Kindle button. So you can't download.

The bad part is that it counts against your checkout limit and nobody can check the book out at all until the loan period is over (or some admin gets in and resets things). And it does not list in My Book Shelf so you can't attempt download again.

Asking for a screen shot is therefore asking for someone to make another book inaccessible for 7-21 days. No need really. <g>
A happy ending: I checked back later and the two books I'd checked out appeared in My Items Out. I was then able to Send to Kindle.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron.
Don't take the local librarian's word for it. You still may have access to ebooks. My tiny local public library looked at me like I had three eyes when I asked, too. But then I found out that they belonged to a library consortium (two, actually) who took care of all the OverDrive ebook stuff and honored library cards from many, many different small libraries in my state.

You might try searching for ebook consortiums or ebook projects in your area. They usually list the participating libraries somewhere on their web page.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #43
ptofimpact
ptofimpact began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
NC Library lending kindle

Just checked, our library in NC, is now loaning Kindle ebooks also
ptofimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #44
ptofimpact
ptofimpact began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sorry for double post

Last edited by ptofimpact; 09-22-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: double
ptofimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Don't take the local librarian's word for it. You still may have access to ebooks. My tiny local public library looked at me like I had three eyes when I asked, too. But then I found out that they belonged to a library consortium (two, actually) who took care of all the OverDrive ebook stuff and honored library cards from many, many different small libraries in my state.

You might try searching for ebook consortiums or ebook projects in your area. They usually list the participating libraries somewhere on their web page.
My library is not a member of one, they are against teaming up with any other library the county library wanted to partner with them and they refused...

I did notice kindle books are offered now though http://ebooks.mcls.org
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote