Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Choosing which ISBNdb.com number to use?

OK whenever I am tagging my books in libprs500 I seem to find multiple options in ISBNdb.com for the same book. Some are different publishers, some are different copyright dates. Some are hardcover versus softcover. Some are audiobooks. Some I don't even know what are.

How do you choose which one to use? Does it even really matter? I've been basically trying to choose the one with the earliest date or ISBN number thinking the original one or first one is best.

But is that the best practice? Or the worst? Should I be using the most recent on the assumption that it'll have the most up to date information? Or be most likely to correspond to a book still in print? Or and this might be the most important of all, the most likely to have a good image for the cover?

Anyway any input appreciated; even if it's to tell me not to worry about it and pick any one that you know is the right book.
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I typically pick the one that has the title and author metadata that is closest to what I want and I also make sure not to pick non numeric ISBNs
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
erikk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I typically pick the one that has the title and author metadata that is closest to what I want and I also make sure not to pick non numeric ISBNs
What do you mean by non-numeric ISBNs? Is there something wrong with an ISBN that includes alpha characters?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/i.../isbnqa.asp#Q3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
erikk
Enthusiast

ok the only ones I were worried about included an X at the end and that seems to be ok.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I've been told the last character is a checksum - and that it is sometimes an x.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote