Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #226
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
For those of you with big data needs:
There are test points on the PCB for an SD card (SD2).
I've soldered wires from there to a standard SD to micro SD physical adapter.
Ground the unused CD (card detect, TP398).
Do you need a 128 GB Nook?

(I just did this as a test with short wires.
You'd probably want to make them longer and put the adapter down in the unused space.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glow4-3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	172182  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #227
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
For those of you with big data needs:
There are test points on the PCB for an SD card (SD2).
I've soldered wires from there to a standard SD to micro SD physical adapter.
Ground the unused CD (card detect, TP398).
Do you need a 128 GB Nook?

(I just did this as a test with short wires.
You'd probably want to make them longer and put the adapter down in the unused space.)
That's pretty amazing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 AM   #228
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
#226 wow impressive! Do you think it was intended to allow a micro sd port on the sides? Meaning can you solder instead a micro sd slot then cut a rectangular hole on the case?

Last edited by bonnerable; 06-30-2019 at 04:15 AM.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #229
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Do you think it was intended to allow a micro sd port on the sides?
No, I don't think so.
The pads are round test points not squarish SMD pads.
The physical order of the signals do not match up at all with the pinout of an SD card.
It's too near the mounting screw.

I think it was put in for manufacturing to have another boot option.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #230
Renate
Wizard

Oh, if you do this you have to remove the (almost invisible) conformal coating.
It insulates the pads and you won't be able to solder to them.

Previously I carefully scraped with a knife to remove it.
It's hard to see if/how well you did it until you try soldering and nothing sticks!

The coating is not soluble in isopropyl alcohol, but it is (slightly) in acetone.
Buy some nail polish remover, but make sure that it says 100% acetone.
Use a damp (not dripping) Q-tip and "erase" the coating with some elbow grease.

Last edited by Renate; 06-30-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Advert
Old 07-01-2019, 01:14 AM   #231
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Oh, if you do this you have to remove the (almost invisible) conformal coating.
It insulates the pads and you won't be able to solder to them.

Previously I carefully scraped with a knife to remove it.
It's hard to see if/how well you did it until you try soldering and nothing sticks!

The coating is not soluble in isopropyl alcohol, but it is (slightly) in acetone.
Buy some nail polish remover, but make sure that it says 100% acetone.
Use a damp (not dripping) Q-tip and "erase" the coating with some elbow grease.
And you would lose the water resistance by removing the coating, right?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #232
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
And you would lose the water resistance by removing the coating, right?
You'd only remove the coating on the pads that you need to solder.
By opening the case you are making it less sealed already.

I personally don't understand this mania for water resistance.
Every sort of device I've ever owned could take a bit of rain at a bustop.
Does everybody need to go scuba diving with their devices?
Old 07-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #233
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Well, you have to have something to read while waiting for the sharks to eat you.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #234
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
This is exactly what I've wanted Amazon to sell and at the price point I had in mind too. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to go back to Nook and tethering my reader to my laptop and dealing with Adobe Editions to read Overdrive books. Just about 100% of my reading is from Overdrive. When I switched to the Paperwhite and received Ovedrive books merely with a couple of clicks and over wifi--it was like switching from B&W tv to super high definition color.
The way I look at it the less tethering the more big brother and corporations own you due to a persons sheer laziness. I sideload almost all my books with stripped DRM. I bought 4 books from the B&N store in the last few months. Stripping DRM from B&N , in recent years and months has become increasingly hard. I had to hack into my device, root it, and pull a unix command chmod 755 database file and use sqlite3 commandline to extract the key and put in DeDRM apprenctice Alf's plugin for calibre.

Amazon owns you
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #235
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's pretty amazing.
But not very useful or practical unless you read alot of Manga or have some other weird use case.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #236
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It is not for regular use, just accidents. Ever had a toddler around? Things end up in the toilet or bathtub every now and then. Other than the first H2O, which was resistant by sealing the case, all other ereaders are resistant by coating (AFAIK). Submerge an Oasis, and it will fill with water that needs to be drained through the usb port first before using and charging again. Nook is probably just the same unless you seen o-rings and ugly flaps over the usb port. Just like old style water resistant phones (or the H2O).

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 07-01-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #237
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I've used it for reading in the bath a few times.
It was a nice addition, but wouldn't have swayed my purchase one way or the other.
The advertising certainly seems to see reading by the pool/at the beach as a major selling point.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #238
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
It is not for regular use, just accidents. Ever had a toddler around? Things end up in the toilet or bathtub every now and then. Other than the first H2O, which was resistant by sealing the case, all other ereaders are resistant by coating (AFAIK). Submerge an Oasis, and it will fill with water that needs to be drained through the usb port first before using and charging again. Nook is probably just the same unless you seen o-rings and ugly flaps over the usb port. Just like old style water resistant phones (or the H2O).
A customer of ours had here two year old flush her wedding rings down the toilet. They were insured and worth over $27, 00.00. She contacted the insurance company and also informed them that she had a septic tank. She figured they would pay to have the septic tank drained. Nope, they sent her a check for the value of the rings. She paid $1,500.00 to have the tank drained and recovered her rings. She used the money to put a pool in and the rest in a college fund for the child. She did not commit fraud since the insurance company elected not to try to recover the jewelry. And we wonder why insurance rates are so high.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #239
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I've used it for reading in the bath a few times.
It was a nice addition, but wouldn't have swayed my purchase one way or the other.
The advertising certainly seems to see reading by the pool/at the beach as a major selling point.
I shower making it hard to read while bathing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #240
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
She did not commit fraud since the insurance company elected not to try to recover the jewelry. And we wonder why insurance rates are so high.
Yes it is weird. In the end it may have been a better financial decision with less risk. If the draining of the tank would have failed to recover the rings, then the insurance company would still owe the value of them.