Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Extremis, Domestic: EPUB Feature Peeker. Version 1.0.6 19 Sep 2013

An EPUB put together by myself and with helpfrom the MobileRead Wiki, the epub 'css/html tipsand tricks thread' in the epub format forum and the frequenters of the Kobo reader forum.
(thread here).

it contains a series of pages to try and test out what features can be used on your favourite e-reader, and was prompted by some oddities I had observed using my Kobo Mini.

It covers emphasis/italic and bold/strong, accented characters (extended Latin), non Latin scripts, image types, graphics, dropcaps and small caps. Various methods for display are included so that you can determine which your e-reader supports and help you produce the most portable epub books.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EpubFeaturePeeker-1.0.6.epub (780.5 KB, 1089 views)

Last edited by DomesticExtremis; 09-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
An interesting idea, DE; thanks for thinking of us. I'll try it on my PRS-350 and Aura over the weekend.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1.0.4: swapped out embedded PakType Ajrak for SIL Scheherazade.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
DomesticExtremis
Addict

1.0.5 added section for horizontal rule styling.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
DomesticExtremis
Addict

1.0.6 fixed some typos, added double flare horizontal rule.
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
I came across your feature peeker quite by accident and though I hadn't realized... it's definitely something I felt I was missing all along.

Makes me think you might contemplate making a condensed version available--no need to inform (in English) folks that are able to evaluate the rendering of Greek that Greek is what they're looking at (e.g.) if you get my meaning-- that would in a broad sense be the equivalent of the web browser acid tests--without the PASS/FAIL stuff or the 100/100 markings naturally... more along the lines of... this is what you're getting vs. this is what you're supposed to get...

What I had in mind would be in the form of an epub (since it's the standard..) comprising a few pages with no comments, just the actual stuff to be rendered (drocaps, small caps, subscripts, horizontal rules, tones of gray, svg's, script samples, etc.) to be loaded onto a reader that someone evaluating conformance and rendering capabilities et al. could look at side-by-side with a PDF reference either on a PC... tablet.. or even another e-reader..

Not sure I'm making sense, but I was thinking of something that might even become popular with folks that review new e-readers when they hit the market giving them a quick way of evaluating the capabilities of the device... rather than stating like all the other guys that the new paperwhite is definitely much much whiter than the old paperwhite..

Since it's their standard, perhaps the folks at the IDPF might even show an interest..?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about testing font-family to show what generic families the e-reader supports? According to the w3c the following generic families are defined: serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, and monospace.

https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1/#font-family

For example, the kobo doesn't support (or fully support) monospace.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
For example, the kobo doesn't support (or fully support) monospace.
Supposedly the most recent FW fixes that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Supposedly the most recent FW fixes that.
In the "Firmware 4.19.14123 release" thread Davidfor wrote "Path for monospace font changed to match other fonts and name is "Courier". This should mean that any correctly sideloaded font whose name starts with "Courier" will be used when the monospace font face is specified."

Requiring sideloading a monospace font, and furthermore having to start its name with Courier is rather a bit of a hack, but better than nothing I suppose. As a counter example I can specify a font-family sans-serif and it works without any sideloading.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
OK, I misunderstood.
Perhaps they'll add a monospace font next. I think my ancient Kindle displayed Courier.
I had monospace on EVERYTHING back in the 1970s. Seems a bit mad to lose it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
fogice
Zealot
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
While this is more of a kerning check than a features check, I found this fabulous chunk of text by Jonathan Hoefler. It is a vastly improved "quick brown fox", where you can scan to see if the font you are checking has any kerning issues.
Quote:
The new proof begins with each of the capital letters bounded by flat-sided and round-sided neighbors: the capital A up against the flat side of the n, and then the round side of the d, in the pair “Angel Adept.” This pattern continues through the Z, with “Zloty Zodiac.”
From here, each sentence begins with a capital letter, in alphabetical order, making things easy to locate: everything connected with the lowercase K, for example, is in the “K-sentence,” which begins with the capital-K “Knoll.” The sentence includes examples of this letter at the head of a word, bordering flat and round neighbors (“knoll koala”), and then between flat and round letters (“banknote lookout”), where we can categorically see how they’re fitted with typographically-neutral forms. Each sentence proceeds to show the letter at the ends of words (“dybbuk outlook”), and concludes with a schnapps-word (“trekked”). I’ve sprinkled the proof with short fragments of connective tissue (and, of the, for the) to produce a pattern that’s plausibly comparable to real text, useful for those many times when the goal is not to evaluate the behavior of an individual letter, but rather to take in the text en masse, to appreciate its rhythm, its color, and its texture.
Do you think it would be appropriate to add this to this document?
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote