Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert78 View Post
So I'll hire a freelance developper to do the job in Python without risk.
Rather than have them hack Modify ePub, I suggest they create a separate plugin that just removes the specific images from the selected books. Then when the Modify ePub plugin is updated you won't have to retro fit your image deletion feature.

BR
Old 02-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This issue does not happen in thousands of ePub.
Of course not. The image in question clearly says "1001 ebooks", so it is going to be in a mere 1001 epubs. That would be enough to not want to manually edit them. And in any case, even if @Robert78 is exaggerating for emphasis, it is clearly in enough of their books to be a nuisance. And there are some other common images/icons. Facebook, Twitter and others like that. And the Vellum icon is fairly common.
Quote:
I cannot see anyone attempting to automate this for you.
Of course there is. In fact, @Robert78 is probably unlucky that those here who could do it are busy and haven't just written it for him. The coding part of my brain is happily busy elsewhere so this hasn't triggered it.
Advert
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 AM   #18
Robert78
Robert78 began at the beginning.

[QUOTE=davidfor;4094553]Of course not. The image in question clearly says "1001 ebooks", so it is going to be in a mere 1001 epubs. That would be enough to not want to manually edit them. And in any case, even if @Robert78 is exaggerating for emphasis, it is clearly in enough of their books to be a nuisance. And there are some other common images/icons. Facebook, Twitter and others like that. And the Vellum icon is fairly common.

By searching with the quality check plugin / search epub, I've found 8 767 "1.PNG" occurences in my epubs with an estimated <1% false positive (I need to discriminate by the exact file size and image size I mentionned above).
So I'm not exagerating.
We could even imagine a fingerpint blacklist to let readers remove all the all well known ad craps at their own risk.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=Robert78;4094610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Of course not. The image in question clearly says "1001 ebooks", so it is going to be in a mere 1001 epubs. That would be enough to not want to manually edit them. And in any case, even if @Robert78 is exaggerating for emphasis, it is clearly in enough of their books to be a nuisance. And there are some other common images/icons. Facebook, Twitter and others like that. And the Vellum icon is fairly common.

By searching with the quality check plugin / search epub, I've found 8 767 "1.PNG" occurences in my epubs with an estimated <1% false positive (I need to discriminate by the exact file size and image size I mentionned above).
So I'm not exagerating.
We could even imagine a fingerpint blacklist to let readers remove all the all well known ad craps at their own risk.
Can you post some well known titles so someone might have one or more of these to have a look? Thanks.

Also, are you sure you are really finding 1.png instead of ePub with files such as twitter-01.png. Using the quality check plugin, it will find matches that are not matches. What would help is if an exact match option in the search could be added to Quality Check.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-18-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
Robert78
Robert78 began at the beginning.

[QUOTE=JSWolf;4094681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert78 View Post

Can you post some well known titles so someone might have one or more of these to have a look? Thanks.

Also, are you sure you are really finding 1.png instead of ePub with files such as twitter-01.png. Using the quality check plugin, it will find matches that are not matches. What would help is if an exact match option in the search could be added to Quality Check.
One example of an epub with 8 references to the ad "1.png" in one book
Moderator Notice
Link to copyrighted material removed. Do not post copyrighted material. This is your only warning.

PeterT

As you said, very tough to support such a book with the ad displayed 8 times in the book.

I'm sure it's only a strict "1.png"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	185453

I've noticed there is a very few image size diffrences for the ad (3 variations to date), but this problem could be handled easily with a few passes with the different image dimension inputs like cover search of quality check

Click image for larger version

Name:	coversize.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	185455

Last edited by PeterT; 02-18-2021 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material removed
Advert
Old 02-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice

I moved this issue into its own thread, it was clogging up the Modify ePub thread. If someone is minded to enhance the Modify ePub plugin to meet the OPs request they can reference this thread as background.

FTR: I share Rev. Bobs sentiments.

BR
Old 02-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Moderator Notice
I'm closing this thread. The book that was attached (and presumably all other books the poster wants help with) came from a pirate ebook repository.

PeterT
Closed Thread