Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 12-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
KristaG
KristaG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle reader, Fire, Nook
Viewer not working on Calibre Portable v. 5.6 (2020)

I am using Calibre Portable 5.6 (the latest version). When I was using the previous version 5.5 (shortly after the new version number popped up in the bottom corner as available, I believe), my viewer stopped working. When I tried to view an e-book with the built-in reader, nothing happened. I tried double clicking the line entry and Menu Open, and neither worked. I upgraded, and the same thing happens. The "busy" circle spins for a split second and then stops, and that's it.
I looked into previous Forum questions on this problem, but they date from 2016 and a much older version of Calibre, and there were other details of that problem set that don't occur with me. For instance, my ebook editor still opens, and I can load books and edit medadata. I can do anything that I normally do except read, I think.
I run Bit Defender antivirus on my computer, if that makes a difference.
Any suggestions?
KristaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Turn Bit Defender off and then try again. Let us know what happens.
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try disabling BitDefender or excluding the Calibre Portable directory from its purview, AV software is a common cause of these sort of issues.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the problem is Bit Defender, uninstall it and find something else to use. No AV should be causing a problem with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
KristaG

Uninstalled Bitdefender and restarted. No change. I can't figure out why the viewer stopped working one day during previous version, and still won't work in current version. I didn't change anything that might have touched on Calibre Portable, and I guess it wasn't Bitdefender.
I appreciate all the responses. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by KristaG; 12-10-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaG View Post
Uninstalled Bitdefender and restarted. No change. I can't figure out why the viewer stopped working one day during previous version, and still won't work in current version. I didn't change anything that might have touched on Calibre Portable, and I guess it wasn't Bitdefender.
I appreciate all the responses. Any other suggestions?
Try running in Windows Safe Mode - if it works another task in interfering, probably something in your statrt up.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
KristaG

Tried Windows Safe Mode, with no results

I see also, from other threads, that others are unable to open their ebook viewers, not just me. I hope someone finds a fix for this that a reasonable user (who is not a programmer) can implement. I didn't even understand the responses to those posts.
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me out.

Krista
Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had this same problem for months now. No luck solving it. The only way I can get it to run is to reboot in safe mode and then reboot normally. The viewer will open properly...for a while. And then after a while get stuck at "Loading book...". Yes I use Bit Defender. I've had no luck turning off the features. Switching to a new AV is really not an option at this time - especially since it may not even fix the problem.
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
I've had this same problem for months now. No luck solving it. The only way I can get it to run is to reboot in safe mode and then reboot normally. The viewer will open properly...for a while. And then after a while get stuck at "Loading book...". Yes I use Bit Defender. I've had no luck turning off the features. Switching to a new AV is really not an option at this time - especially since it may not even fix the problem.
Are you using a laptop with dual display chips? If so, switch to the other display chip and see if Calibre works. Also make sure you are running the current version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Lightbulb

You figured it out!!!!

I'm not using a laptop but I am using multiple displays on my windows 10 desktop. And moving Calibre to the monitor that Windows identifies as "1" allows the e-book viewer to open. This is very interesting because it's the second application I've had this problem with. The other being Ultimaker Cura. I wonder what Microsoft did?

But now I have a different problem. I tested 2 books. One is AZW3 format. Size 600K. First attempt to open it took 1 minute 53 seconds with the message "preparing for first read". I closed it and reopened it. This time it said "loading book please wait" and it took 2 minutes 53 seconds. Yup...a full minute longer.

So then I tried a mobi format book. Also around 600k in size. This one took 25 seconds to load the first time and 2 minutes and 28 seconds the second time.

Those times are really excessive for small books.

I'm running the latest Calibre 5.12 (64 bit). And the only plugin I have is deDRM from apprentice alf. Of the 2 books I tried, one had the DRM stripped. The other never had DRM.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Intel i7-6700k, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 16G RAM, BitDefender AV
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote