Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You could always read the thread first!

Absolutely! But I was running late to get my son.

I don't think anyone was harmed that someone else might have posted about those books first.

-- By the way, how did you like 'Small World'?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Absolutely! But I was running late to get my son.

I don't think anyone was harmed that someone else might have posted about those books first.

-- By the way, how did you like 'Small World'?
Oh, I loved it. I'm a huge David Lodge fan; I've read almost everything he's written. As a fan of Small World, you should read the first of his campus trilogy, Changing Places, which also is hilarious; the third book isn't quite up to the first two, IMO. It's not as flat-out funny, but then it's probably more realistic.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Oh, I loved it. I'm a huge David Lodge fan; I've read almost everything he's written. As a fan of Small World, you should read the first of his campus trilogy, Changing Places, which also is hilarious; the third book isn't quite up to the first two, IMO. It's not as flat-out funny, but then it's probably more realistic.

Unfortunately, that's the only one by him that I've read, which actually strikes me as strange considering how much I, too, loved it. --- I'll certainly check out 'Changing Places.'

Have you read that Joyce Carol Oates novel I mentioned? Wonderful fun.

I love her work and was hoping she would win the Nobel Prize soon, but it's probably not likely
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Have you read that Joyce Carol Oates novel I mentioned? Wonderful fun.

I love her work and was hoping she would win the Nobel Prize soon, but it's probably not likely
I have not but I've already added it to the list. No ebook, unfortunately.

I can't keep up with JCO; she writes faster than I can read.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #35
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I have not but I've already added it to the list. No ebook, unfortunately.

I can't keep up with JCO; she writes faster than I can read.
I have tremendous respect for authors like that, in the abstract. Though I wonder if they have ever heard of, or considered, taking some time off. and I wonder what that is doing to their physical and long term mental health.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've started A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik. First book in a new trilogy. It is currently set in a magical school.

P.S. Sorry for the thread resurrection.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I've started A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik. First book in a new trilogy. It is currently set in a magical school.

P.S. Sorry for the thread resurrection.
An excellent thread to revive; I love school/campus stories.

I’ll offer up J.I.M. Stewart’s Oxford quintet, A Staircase in Surrey and Edmund Crispin’s Gervase Fen mystery series, also set at Oxford, and look forward to seeing what others can add.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #38
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
It's a stretch and then a reach but Danny Dunn and The Homework Machine was a favorite during school days if you want light entertaining.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #39
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Frederic Raphael’ The Glittering Prizes starts out in Cambridge (plus there’s a vintage BBC series with a young Tom Conti)
A few of CP Snow’s Strangers and Brothers series are in Cambridge (The Masters being most well known I think)
Death in the Quadrangle by Eilis Dillon, Dublin
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
It's a stretch and then a reach but Danny Dunn and The Homework Machine was a favorite during school days if you want light entertaining.
I loved Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Frederic Raphael’ The Glittering Prizes starts out in Cambridge (plus there’s a vintage BBC series with a young Tom Conti)
A few of CP Snow’s Strangers and Brothers series are in Cambridge (The Masters being most well known I think)
Death in the Quadrangle by Eilis Dillon, Dublin
I loved the series as well as the book, but I do remember that the young Tom Conti was not quite young enough to be believable as a student in his secondary school before going to Cambridge.

I thought of The Masters, a wonderful book, and it absolutely stands alone. No need to have read the earlier books.

O/T: a personal connection with The Strangers and Brothers series is that I might not have realized what was happening when I suffered my first retinal detachment had I not read about it in S&B.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A little bit of a stretch, but how about The Magicians by Lev Grossman?
Not sure why you would think it's a stretch - the school figures very prominently in several parts of the series. I really enjoyed these books - well written, great characters, and lots of commentary on the genre while still telling a proper story.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:00 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Not sure why you would think it's a stretch - the school figures very prominently in several parts of the series. I really enjoyed these books - well written, great characters, and lots of commentary on the genre while still telling a proper story.
Thinking back, I'm not sure either.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote