Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #31
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I feel that it is a question that needs asking.
Why is it "a question that needs asking"? MR doesn't promote, support or endorse IP violations, but in the context of this thread your question takes that further and assumes a policing role. Are you tasked with enforcing the law, or do you wish to report those who do? It turns out that your "paranoia" did at least implicitly impugn an innocent person.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Where did you get these books" is not relevant to a "how do I..." question. If you suspect nefarious activity, everyone is always free to withhold their knowledge (or to report their concerns to a moderator). But I'd rather we refrain from fishing for info (in thread) that wasn't volunteered, or relevant to the asked questions.

And with that, let's get back on topic. A Sigil plugin is not something that would lend itself to the problem at hand. Sigil isn't batch-processing-friendly. Neither are Sigil plugins.

Calibre is the best tool for something like this, but given the questioner's reluctance to use Calibre (again), it seems we're probably done here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-24-2020 at 09:10 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #33
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Where did you get these books" is not relevant to a "how do I..." question. If you suspect nefarious activity, everyone is always free to withhold their knowledge (or to report your concerns to a moderator). But I'd rather we refrain from fishing for info (in thread) that wasn't volunteered, or relevant to the asked questions.
We do not see eye to eye on everything bit am 100% with you on this.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #34
Kryz-El
Kryz-El began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre DID NOT MOVE your library. Calibre has never moved any library. In this case, it's USER ERROR.
You are better qualified to know what happened on my computer than I am for sure.
Kryz-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:52 PM   #35
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryz-El View Post
You are better qualified to know what happened on my computer than I am for sure.
My last comment on this, as it's not Sigil-related:
CALIBRE FAQ
"When you first run calibre, it will ask you for a folder in which to store your books. Whenever you add a book to calibre, it will copy the book into that folder." (e.a.)

The creator and maintainer of Calibre is VERY active here, he would be fascinated I'm sure to learn how your installation of his software did what no other installation of it ever has.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryz-El View Post
Except that we know how calibre works. If you add books to calibre, it copies the book. Lots of people complain about this behaviour. Some because they don't want a separate copy, others because the original is not deleted.

As mentioned, the only way calibre will do something that looks like a move (actually a copy followed by a delete) is if you use the auto-add function. I don't think this is a good way to do the initial population of a library from previously organised store. It is more a way to add new books as they are obtained.

There is an element of user error in that it is up to you where calibre puts its library. Calibre does create a default library when you first open it. But, you can create a new library wherever you want. Including on external media. And there is a portable version explicitly for this.

Also, one of your other complaints about calibre, has me baffled. You said that calibre uses a "cryptic filing system". It creates a directory for each author using that authors name, and a directory within it for the each book using the title of the book. Then the file is named using the title. I can't for the life of me see how that is cryptic. There can be problems if the path gets long and calibre has to truncate things. Or, the metadata available when adding the file, either from the filename or contained in the book. If anything, the openness of this filing system causes problems as it makes it easy for people to "play beneath the covers" and break things.

And I should really answer your actual question:

I haven't seen anything else to do this. I thought EpubMetadataEditor might have an option to do do it, but, your comment suggests it doesn't. I think @Turtle91's suggestion is about the only way to do this: Add the book to calibre, use the "Get from file name" option for the metadata, and then use save-to-disk to export the file. The template should allow you to create the file name you want. You can also use the GetFileName plugin to capture the initial filename and use that in the save-to-disk template. Calibre supports doing most functions from the command line, so you might be able to script this in a way that the book is never added to a library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:22 AM   #37
Kryz-El
Kryz-El began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have finished the project so I don't need the plugin anymore.

Assuming all of what has been said is true and I am too stupid to use calibre, can any of you see why I would want to stay away from calibre?

I see that there is no option to delete my account so have fun everyone.
Kryz-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #38
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The people here were (mostly) trying to help you to understand what you were doing wrong, and/or misunderstanding about Calibre. You seem to think you know exactly how "bad" the software is, instead of learning from the people who use this software regularly how you can do what you want to do very easily.

Your loss.

As for not knowing how to delete your account....have you tried just unplugging the computer? lol
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
All in all, this last topic thread is NOT a great example of a forum thread to support Sigil users. As DiapDealer said, no one should be making veiled or otherwise accusations. The OP was looking for a plugin based solution in Sigil. Only when Calibre was suggested, the OP then stated why they did not want Calibre and tried to justify it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! This was not a post in a Calibre forum, but in an admittedly obscure Sigil forum, but it was somehow viewed as a public "attack" on Calibre and resulted in a number of less than helpful responses (ie. JSWolf - how on earth was your post in any way helpful?).

Users do make mistakes and sometimes form opinions based on them, but no one should ever be attacked in a Sigil forum about their opinion when it was only provided to rule out a suggestion.

Please remember to look where/which forum you are posting in and if it in Sigil (as that is the only place I care about) allow people to have differing opinions and refrain from "piling on".
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #40
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I should like to have a plugin that extends the function that lets me press Ctrl+1 (or some other number) and turn a tag into a heading or paragraph to other tag types which I could customize. I frequently find myself wanting to turn a <p> into a <ul>, and I'm sure there are other use cases that want something similar. If I could bind Ctrl+8 to a specific tag type, it would save a lot of strain from repetitive retagging.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I should like to have a plugin that extends the function that lets me press Ctrl+1 (or some other number) and turn a tag into a heading or paragraph to other tag types which I could customize. I frequently find myself wanting to turn a <p> into a <ul>, and I'm sure there are other use cases that want something similar. If I could bind Ctrl+8 to a specific tag type, it would save a lot of strain from repetitive retagging.
Saved searches can help. Capture the contents between the tags.
replace with a new tag pair.

Tag Mechanic already allows MODIFY, certain Tags, but DIV is the only change to selection.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are toolbar icons to change highlighted headings into paragraphs and highlighted paragraphs into headings. Similarly you can highlight a set of paragraphs and make them a list (either numbered or unnumbered). These are already available in the Sigil gui.

You can also use clips to do something similar.

Plugins in Sigil have no capability to change the Sigil gui.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #43
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! This was not a post in a Calibre forum, but in an admittedly obscure Sigil forum.
Sigil and this forum are not obscure! Your work is much appreciated.

Other than this I support the other points you make.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #44
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
There are toolbar icons to change highlighted headings into paragraphs and highlighted paragraphs into headings. Similarly you can highlight a set of paragraphs and make them a list (either numbered or unnumbered). These are already available in the Sigil gui.

You can also use clips to do something similar.

Plugins in Sigil have no capability to change the Sigil gui.
I still get surprised quite often at some of the things Sigil can do that I'm not aware of! I had actually created a saved-search group to change the marked paragraphs into a list... the only difference being mine also removes the <p>/</p> tags. It's awesome how many ways things can be done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-08-26 160215.png
Views:	308
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	181605  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

For some reason, I like my list li tags to each contain a p tag but you are right, it is not needed. My approach allows highlighting the exact list and clicking to get back the original set of paragraphs without having to change span to p tags or bare text to p tags.

So that is how I implemented it for CodeView when the BookView version that did the same went away.