Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
It was the 1.17 version when I loaded it (the icon is different), though when I reopened it, it updated itself, and I had to load 1.17 again. Thank you for the link, but it is a thread I follow. Anyway, I downgraded Calibre to 4.23, imported the book again, converted it with no problem, and re-updated Calibre to 5.3. Just another couple of steps in the process...
Since you are already using calibre portable, you could install 5.3 and 4.23 in different locations. A bit of an annoyance to browse to the 4.23 library to add a book but likely faster than multiple uninstall/install cycles.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
It was the 1.17 version when I loaded it (the icon is different), though when I reopened it, it updated itself, and I had to load 1.17 again. Thank you for the link, but it is a thread I follow. Anyway, I downgraded Calibre to 4.23, imported the book again, converted it with no problem, and re-updated Calibre to 5.3. Just another couple of steps in the process...
You are best to also install 4.23 because the DeDRM plugin has a long way to go before it's fully working.

As for KindleforPC, the DeDRM plugin for Calibre 5 does not work. It only works for Mobi/KF8 eBooks downloaded for an eInk Kindle. ePub does not work as well. It's still pre-alpha.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #108
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for KindleforPC, the DeDRM plugin for Calibre 5 does not work. It only works for Mobi/KF8 eBooks downloaded for an eInk Kindle. ePub does not work as well. It's still pre-alpha.
Jon, in my testing, I found the majority of Kindle for PC books will have their DRM removed. It's not 100% but it's getting there. I would agree with the comments elsewhere that this is not even close to release code but I like playing with it to see how the project is moving along.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, in my testing, I found the majority of Kindle for PC books will have their DRM removed. It's not 100% but it's getting there. I would agree with the comments elsewhere that this is not even close to release code but I like playing with it to see how the project is moving along.
I too am playing with the DeDRM code. Every so often if there have been any changes, I'll grab the new code and try it. I have both 4.23 and 5.x installed so I can use either version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 AM   #110
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For your information: the book that got its DRM removed was AZW format, the one that didn't was AZW3. Otherwise both were labeled enhanced typesetting/page flip/text to speech/wordwise enabled, X-ray/lending not enabled, screen reader supported. Only the one that got its DRM removed under 5.3, John Cowper Powys' "Weymouth Sands", was simultaneous device unlimited, possibly because of its age (first publication 1934).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #111
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
"Simultaneous device unlimited" would already be DRM-free though (as long as it wasn't KFX format).
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #112
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I don't understand Calibre Portable so can anyone help with how i downgrade back to a 4 version as i need access to the tools. Thank you
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #113
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
To be fair to Mr Goyal, there were A LOT of posts here for the last several weeks warning that the current DeDRM would not work with version 5. A very diligent effort was made to make sure that those who might be impacted could be well-informed well in advance.
Unfortunately I don't visit here much anymore. it never occurred to me a new version of calibre would be released that didn't work with the tools
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #114
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I have calibre on three machines, 2 windows and a Mac, all are on 5.3

I could cry now. I know what i want to do, just don't know how to do it.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #115
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have calibre on three machines, 2 windows and a Mac, all are on 5.3

I could cry now. I know what i want to do, just don't know how to do it.
Download 4.23. Instead of putting it in Applications, just put it on your desktop. When you need to use DeDRM, close calibre 5.x, open the calibre 4.23 that's on your desktop and import the book. (Make sure you have DeDRM 6.8 installed.) Then close 4.23 and open 5.x.

Problem solved.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #116
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or, of course, just download calibre 4.23 and put it in Applications, and just use 4.23 for now. You can downgrade to 4.23 from 5.x by just deleting on Application and installing the other - the preferences and library are compatible.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #117
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Download 4.23. Instead of putting it in Applications, just put it on your desktop. When you need to use DeDRM, close calibre 5.x, open the calibre 4.23 that's on your desktop and import the book. (Make sure you have DeDRM 6.8 installed.) Then close 4.23 and open 5.x.

Problem solved.
Thanks for the help but i just tried to open the 4.23 but it opened 5.3 anyway

I don't know how to install it on my desktop so i have two versions running.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #118
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Or, of course, just download calibre 4.23 and put it in Applications, and just use 4.23 for now. You can downgrade to 4.23 from 5.x by just deleting on Application and installing the other - the preferences and library are compatible.
This is what i want to do, on all machines. My actual library is in dropbox so is it safe to leave it where it is and just uninstall 5.3 on all machines and reload 4.23?

Thats even if 4.23 will still work with the tools, i've read a few posts today that says it doesn't
Old 10-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #119
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is what i want to do, on all machines. My actual library is in dropbox so is it safe to leave it where it is and just uninstall 5.3 on all machines and reload 4.23?

Thats even if 4.23 will still work with the tools, i've read a few posts today that says it doesn't
Having your library on Dropbox is not safe. There have been numerous posts from people with their calibre libraries on network storage, where the database has become corrupted. But that's a different issue.

To open 4.23 you must double-click the 4.23 icon, after having quit 5.x.

But it sounds to me like you'd be better off just reverting to 4.23. Delete the 5.x application (quit the application and then drag it to the trash) and install the 4.23 application instead.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #120
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Having your library on Dropbox is not safe. There have been numerous posts from people with their calibre libraries on network storage, where the database has become corrupted. But that's a different issue.

To open 4.23 you must double-click the 4.23 icon, after having quit 5.x.

But it sounds to me like you'd be better off just reverting to 4.23. Delete the 5.x application (quit the application and then drag it to the trash) and install the 4.23 application instead.
That's what I plan to do. Just backing up my Calibre folder first as a precaution.

I've had my Calibre library in Dropbox for years, never been a problem. Everything we have is in Dropbox, it has to be as we have three PC's in the house all working from the same database.

Tags
dedrm