Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle E-Reader (basic), Nook Glowlight Plus 3
Sony PRS-350 to “All New” Basic Kindle

I’ve been very happy with my Sony PRS-350 for several years, but for a few reasons thinking again of trying a standard sized reader with some of the newer features. I tried a Kobo HD Glow this past year but ended up returning it. I think I may have had a defective unit so probably didn’t give it a fair shake – still feel positively about the company and still buy most of my books from them. What I did learn from my brief experience with the Glow is that I am not as much of a fan of the lighted screen as I thought I would be. I understand it is “front lit,” but to me it still felt more like reading on my phone than reading a book and I prefer illuminating my e-reader externally the same way I would a book. The next time there is a good sale, I’m considering the “all new” basic Kindle primarily because it does not have the light and have two questions: 1) Would I notice a difference in the sharpness of the text from the Sony? I think the Sony ppi (or is that dpi?) is slightly higher, but not by much. 2) I’m curious – I’ve read that there is a difference in the way the screen is constructed with lighted e-readers (which of course is now the majority). Would appreciate an explanation on what that is and how it affects how the screen looks. Also, based on past experience, have I missed the great sales with the passing of Cyber Monday and Prime Day this season or might there be another sale before the holidays pass? Oh, I use Calibre and am not concerned about epub vs mobi. Thanks for thoughts!
GoodCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Lighted screens have an extra layer on them to distribute the light evenly over the whole screen. Some people claim this makes them less clear than those without. Not sure I buy that being as generally true with current generation of higher resolution devices. There is equally some who feel that the capacitive touch layer reduces clarity. I don't see that between my H2O (IR) and Aura One (capacitive). Amazon devices will apparently let you turn light virtually off. Kobo devices will let you turn the light completely off.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
GoodCompany
Connoisseur
GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.GoodCompany is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks Robko!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:14 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I love the lit screen - but you do use it differently from a phone screen. I like to turn mine up just enough to improve contrast, but keep it low enough so that it doesn't look like my Kobo is 'glowing'. Some past devices - like the first Kobo Glo - didn't go low enough to do this in dim light, but all the modern devices I've tried do.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The basic Kindle doesn't have a good light. The problem is that Amazon did not build in the connections on the device to plug in an Amazon lighted cover. I've not seen anyone else doing a decent light. So if you want a Reader with a light, you may very well be stuck with a front light.

Since you have a Sony that uses ePub, you'd be best to stick with a Reader that also handles ePub. I would go with a Kobo of some kind. If you want a larger screen, go for an H2O or Aura One. If you want a 6" screen, go for a Glo HD (if you can find one) or go for an Aura Edition 2.

The Aura One has a comfort light which allows you to adjust the color so it's not as blue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
GoodCompany
Connoisseur

Actually, I don't want a light, I seem to prefer an external light source! As far as epub, a lot of my library is already mobi editions from Amazon that I converted, so I can go either way there.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
Actually, I don't want a light, I seem to prefer an external light source! As far as epub, a lot of my library is already mobi editions from Amazon that I converted, so I can go either way there.
You know what you want, so....

Just the same. I loved my 350s. I had one as my purse reader and one with the lit cover as my bed reader. But tech advances and I (regretfully) moved on. The 350s have a ppi of 200; a Carta screen and increased ppi more than compensate for the layer added by front lighting. And much as I loved it, I do remember having to jigger the light in my lit cover so as to avoid a glare spot on the reader.

I guess I don't get the issue. If by external light, you mean ambient light or lamp light, turn the light off on a Kobo. If you mean booklight, then IMO, the front light of a newer generation reader dots the same thing, but more evenly and with finer tuning.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCompany View Post
If you are reading where the light is not bright enough, you will either have to stop reading or use a light. a clip-on light is not going to be as good a light source as a front light. I've used Sony Readers with the light cover and yes, it works. But I've also used my H2O with a front light. The light is really not much different except that the front light gives you much more control over the intensity and you get a much more even light. So really, I don;t see the issue with having a front light.

If you don't want to use the front light, you can get a Kobo which has the ability to fully turn off the front light. A Kindle does not have such an option. A basic Kindle has really poor choices for lighting and all the other current Kindles have the front light that doesn't fully turn off.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
From what I could tell, both the basic Kindle and the 350 have a screen resolution of 800X600, so I don't think you should see a huge difference in screen quality.

I do wonder though if you wouldn't be better off getting a cheap original model Aura. The resolution will be higher and the front light can be turned completely off. You'd have expandable storage and an overall nicer device. Plus, it would also cost less than the Kindle, unless you get a really good deal.

On the other hand, you'd be living without a warranty. Not a concern for me, but a concern for some.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The basic Kindle has a Pearl screen. So other than size, the contrast should be about the same. The Basic Kindle is not an upgrade. It's a side grade.

A Kobo Glo HD, Aura Edition 2, Aura H2O, Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage are all upgrades. Some more than others.