Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Hakarune
Hakarune began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
What's the best option for under $200

I originally bought the Nook GLP on Black Friday for $99, but it was horrible with PDFs and comics, felt too small (I'm a 6'5" 240lb giant) and had no way to organize my personal collection (about a thousand books and comics on my Calibre server).

So I'm looking for the best options for comics, PDFs, and eBook format that's under $200. Are the waterproof features worth it for the Kobos, or should I be looking at Android eInk tablets instead and not worry about waterproofing?
[*] Basic requirements are good comic/pdf handling.[*] Some sort of library organization for my personal library.[*] Under $200.[*] Not trash

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Hakarune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakarune View Post
I originally bought the Nook GLP on Black Friday for $99, but it was horrible with PDFs and comics, felt too small (I'm a 6'5" 240lb giant) and had no way to organize my personal collection (about a thousand books and comics on my Calibre server).

So I'm looking for the best options for comics, PDFs, and eBook format that's under $200. Are the waterproof features worth it for the Kobos, or should I be looking at Android eInk tablets instead and not worry about waterproofing?
[*] Basic requirements are good comic/pdf handling.[*] Some sort of library organization for my personal library.[*] Under $200.[*] Not trash

I split my e-reading. I read books on my Kobo. For comics, I use a tablet.

The Lenovo Tab2 A10, currently $175 on Amazon. Not e-ink, but since most of the comics I read are in color, I want a color screen and larger screen size.

If you're looking for an all-in-one device, I'd guess an Android e-ink device. I've been looking at the Icarus Illumina and Inkbook Obsidian, which look very nice (and very similar), but I have no experience with either.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-07-2016 at 12:36 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you want PDF and comics, a tablet would be your best bet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't read many comics but I do from time to time and I do that on a tablet. I read books on a Kindle.

They're very different devices and they have different advantages and comics and books have different needs. You'll never find a single device that's the best at both.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
PDF comics? Tablet.

I'm guessing since you bought a Nook that you're talking about US currency and availability, though that's just a guess. Can't help you there with specifics. If you want a good, decent-sized tablet for under $200, though, I'd suggest also looking at the secondhand market to get better bang for your buck.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
One very nice tablet for comic reading might be the Lenovo Tab 2 A10. It's a 10" tablet with a really good full HD screen. Full HD makes a big difference in readability with comics. It's generally a very nice tablet with good features and light weight.

It's about $180 if I remember correctly.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
Hakarune
Hakarune began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
There's no eink that handles both ePub & PDF nicely, I have like 2,000 epub in my library on calibre plus PDFs and CBZ?

I am really wanting that long battery life and no glare, I hate reading my comics on my tablets 10" Asus & 8" Samsung, the batteries die so quickly and it's impossible to read outside.

None of my comics or PDFs are very big or in color, think the biggest is 10MB. They're just web comics and manga that I create with ComicRack. The nook could easily load and page turned them perfectly, but no zoom, crop, margin manipulation or anything; was just too tiny to read in some places.

And yes, American money, but I'll order from overseas vendors if needed, I have friends in a few foreign countries too if I need them to go buy and send it.

Hakarune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
There's no eink that handles both ePub & PDF nicely
Larger screen eInk devices are generally better for PDF for the simple fact that most PDF's are generated with a page size similar to a letter or A4 piece of paper and aren't generally meant to reflow. They're often meant to be an electronic representation/snap shot of the printed page layout. Many PDF's are also more graphically intensive and most if not all eInk devices are low powered in the RAM and processor department which can make page turns and pans/zooms slow depending on the PDF.

The problem with larger screen eInk is it's usually quite expensive and I'm not sure there is anything available in the budget you mention.

EDIT: I see the inkBook 8 is $169 on Amazon so that might be worth looking in to, I know nothing about it really.
https://www.amazon.com/inkBOOK-Touch.../dp/B01C48BYLY

Kobo Aura H2O ---- 6.8" screen --- $180 (a little bigger than your 6" Nook, nice for ePub, but I don't know that the small amount of extra size would make a big difference in your case)

Kobo Aura One ---- 7.8" screen --- $230 (has had some battery drain issues, but those may have been fixed by now)

Others...
inkBook 8 ---- 8" screen
Onyx Boox N96 ---- 9.7" screen
Onyx Boox Max ---- 13.3" screen
Onyx Boox T67 Plus ---- 6.8" screen

I think Onyx might have a few more models & I think Icarus and PocketBook might both have larger screen devices too, but most if not all will be more than $200.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-08-2016 at 08:41 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are in the US and you buy a Kobo Aura One from Chapters, with the exchange rate, you'll pay just under $200.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
There's no eink that handles both ePub & PDF nicely, I have like 2,000 epub in my library on calibre plus PDFs and CBZ?

I am really wanting that long battery life and no glare, I hate reading my comics on my tablets 10" Asus & 8" Samsung, the batteries die so quickly and it's impossible to read outside.

None of my comics or PDFs are very big or in color, think the biggest is 10MB. They're just web comics and manga that I create with ComicRack. The nook could easily load and page turned them perfectly, but no zoom, crop, margin manipulation or anything; was just too tiny to read in some places.

And yes, American money, but I'll order from overseas vendors if needed, I have friends in a few foreign countries too if I need them to go buy and send it.

Hakarune, as I mentioned there are the Icarus Illumina and Inkbook Obsidian. They are e-ink devices that run Android, so you an install apps that will handle ePub (MoonReader) and ones that will handle CBZ (Perfect Viewer or ComicRack).

Head to YouTube and watch reviews of the devices. They seem to be nice. I just don't have first hand experience with either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
any non-6" will do.

6" need to have a horrible death
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote