Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
LiquidText

Just found this app on the app store. Like all the apps pushed by the store, it has a beautiful and elegant interface, but I don't know how useful it really can be. I installed it since it's free. It looks very good, with features similar to MarginNotes in a much nicer looking interface. However, it doesn't support ePub, which kind of negates all its advantages. But I will explore it some more.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Thanks for the headsup, it looks fairly decent. I have a lot of pdf files in my dropbox and rarely even look at them for lack of something decent to use for it. Goodreader is OK, I guess, LiquidText seems more... umm... accommodating... in some way. I like it.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for. To me, it seems useless as long as it doesn't support ePub. And the export menu is complicated and didn't let me do what I wanted: export my notes in text format to Evernote. The only export format for notes is rtf apparently.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thanks for the headsup, it looks fairly decent. I have a lot of pdf files in my dropbox and rarely even look at them for lack of something decent to use for it. Goodreader is OK, I guess, LiquidText seems more... umm... accommodating... in some way. I like it.
What do you dislike about GoodReader? I find it to be an excellent PDF reading app; the best I've come across.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you dislike about GoodReader? I find it to be an excellent PDF reading app; the best I've come across.
It's a question of taste. Personally I find Goodreader's interface terrible. And it's also slow, or at least it was when I was using it.
Advert
Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
It's a question of taste. Personally I find Goodreader's interface terrible. And it's also slow, or at least it was when I was using it.
The user interface is actually what I like the most about it. I don't know of any other PDF app which makes it so easy to have multiple documents (or views of different parts of the same document) open at once, and rapidly flip between them, a feature which is essential when doing academic research. The "tabbed" interface for this works beautifully.

Speed is absolutely fine on my iPad Air 2.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also don't much like the UI. Its clunky. But as always its whatever works for you. I don't need multiple docs open at once, and I rarely take notes. A lightweight reader works for me.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I also don't much like the UI. Its clunky. But as always its whatever works for you. I don't need multiple docs open at once, and I rarely take notes. A lightweight reader works for me.
Yes, if you don't need the multiple document interface, GoodReader's probably not the app to choose; that is the "unique selling point" of the app compared to normal bookreading apps, which can only handle a single book at a time. GoodReader is much more targeted as a research tool than a fiction reader, I think.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I guess it depends what you want to use it for. To me, it seems useless as long as it doesn't support ePub. And the export menu is complicated and didn't let me do what I wanted: export my notes in text format to Evernote. The only export format for notes is rtf apparently.
I havent used evernote in ages, but I re-downloaded and tried this. Rather than export I did a straight copy... you can copy all notes as a group but its a matter of shift selecting each one, and then it all goes to the clipboard and wherever you want it after that. I don't want it for epub, I'm a reader, not much of a writer.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
I havent used evernote in ages, but I re-downloaded and tried this. Rather than export I did a straight copy... you can copy all notes as a group but its a matter of shift selecting each one, and then it all goes to the clipboard and wherever you want it after that. I don't want it for epub, I'm a reader, not much of a writer.
I don't write epubs, I read them. And the time when I want to highlight and annotate is when I'm reading a non fiction book. This is why I read non fiction on MarginNote. Its interface is much clunkier and less elegant than LiquidText, but it does the same and more AND it reads ePub. I only read PDF files when I have no other choice (and even then, quite often I just give up and read something else). But maybe you're right and LiquidText could be a better tool than MarginNote to read them when the need arises.

One thing that LiquidText does that sounded interesting is work on web pages, but in fact it converts them to PDF first, and all the links are lost. Still, it could be useful for that. But I think in that case I'd rather convert the page to ePub, it's not that hard to do.

And thank you for the tip on copying, I hadn't thought of trying that!
Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

What I meant was I dont ever do notes for anything, my days of academia are long gone, I have no reason to be making notes, annotations or whatever. I sometimes play with these tools, just to see how they work and whether I would find them useful, but since I am only a reader with no need to comment on what I am reading... well, there ya go.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Ah, I see! To be honest I don't really need to take notes, I never read them afterward, but I like to. It helps me think, maybe.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I am also looking for the perfect reader that highlights, annotates, allows notes, and can flip between other files. Until Goodreader upgrades to support the cool stuff in iOS9 (ie split screen, Apple Pencil) it isn't really as useful. I wish they also wouldn't have the main menu as a bar that you have to wait until it goes away before you can read the whole page - especially to get the page number which it hides. The tabbing is great but the implementation on menus is a real pain in the tush.

I downloaded LiquidText. Haven't really looked at it yet. I'll have to take another look at MarginNotes.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, if you don't need the multiple document interface, GoodReader's probably not the app to choose; that is the "unique selling point" of the app compared to normal bookreading apps, which can only handle a single book at a time. GoodReader is much more targeted as a research tool than a fiction reader, I think.
PDF Expert supports tabbed reading as well...

And thanks to OP for the tip, looks nice!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
PDF Expert supports tabbed reading as well...
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll take a look at that.