Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
muelgrub
muelgrub began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Folder selections

Hi: newbie here. I imagine this has been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer either here or in Calibre help file, but I apologize in advance if it's been asked.
When I convert a book from one format to another Caliber saves that book in my C:\users ..... folder. I don't want it there, but can't seem to figure out how to select an alternate location.
Calibre help says: "When you first run calibre, it will ask you for a folder in which to store your books." I don't recall being asked that but is there a way to change that location to a different drive?
Thanks
muelgrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by muelgrub View Post
Hi: newbie here. I imagine this has been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer either here or in Calibre help file, but I apologize in advance if it's been asked.
When I convert a book from one format to another Caliber saves that book in my C:\users ..... folder. I don't want it there, but can't seem to figure out how to select an alternate location.
Calibre help says: "When you first run calibre, it will ask you for a folder in which to store your books." I don't recall being asked that but is there a way to change that location to a different drive?
Thanks
It is all the same place.
All formats of a single book are kept in the same sub folder.

But you don't need to know that. Calibre manages all the books and formats.
Select a title, Send to Device or Save to Disk (or email) to deliver the books.
BTW there IS a sticky about Calibre Files and folders.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@muelgrub - the one thing you *can* do is move the location of your entire library. That is the question you were asked when you first installed calibre, and via the Library dropdown menu on the toolbar it is possible to move your library to a different location if inside your users folder is not where you want it.

Moving your library to a different drive for reasons of space, or backup purposes etc is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. However as theducks pointed out, if it is just because you intend to navigate into the library folders and start "fiddling" with the files in there, dragging them around etc that is a major no-no as per the sticky.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
muelgrub
muelgrub began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@muelgrub - the one thing you *can* do is move the location of your entire library. That is the question you were asked when you first installed calibre, and via the Library dropdown menu on the toolbar it is possible to move your library to a different location if inside your users folder is not where you want it.

Moving your library to a different drive for reasons of space, or backup purposes etc is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. However as theducks pointed out, if it is just because you intend to navigate into the library folders and start "fiddling" with the files in there, dragging them around etc that is a major no-no as per the sticky.
No, I just want to move the library b/c I don't want anything saved to my C: drive (running out of room). So I won't "fiddle" with anything.
Thanks, I'll check out the library drop down menu to see if I can do that.
muelgrub is offline   Reply With Quote