Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
mufc
Connoisseur
mufc doesn't littermufc doesn't litter

Device: Sony 650
Calibre has deleted my books

Just noticed that Calibre has deleted all my books A thru B. Anything prior to "calibre"(calibre is my news articles) has been deleted. Luckily for me I backup every night. However when I copy and paste the books back into calibre folder , Calibre on reopening does not show them.
This went haywire on Monday about the same time my news downloads refused to work.
Any Ideas
mufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc View Post
Just noticed that Calibre has deleted all my books A thru B. Anything prior to "calibre"(calibre is my news articles) has been deleted. Luckily for me I backup every night. However when I copy and paste the books back into calibre folder , Calibre on reopening does not show them.
This went haywire on Monday about the same time my news downloads refused to work.
Any Ideas
You can't put anything into a Calibre Library folder. (OK you can, but it just makes a mess of it).

Anything in a Calibre folder MUST be put there by Calibre. There is a lot of book-work (all those entries that you see in the GUI) that goes along with the books
Calibre does not delete books without user input. Usually it warns you.
A bulk delete takes some effort.
Since you said these were News. did you set up an expiry date (that has now passed)? News being the only type that has a auto-removal.

Or do you have a 'Delete on Send' configured?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You should also check that the books are actually missing and not just not getting displayed. Check if there are any searches or view restriction active.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
mufc
Connoisseur

Books were not deleted by me. What I said was all my books alphabetically listed before "calibre" were deleted and disappeared from my calibre folder also. I think it must have happened at the same time as Calibre refused to download my news. There must have been some kind of crash inside calibre although calibre still worked. It just would not download any of my news. On rebooting the news problem was fixed but I then noticed all my A and B books gone.
I am now assuming that the only way out of this mess is to use my backup and import that into calibre after cleaning out the calibre folder.

Last edited by mufc; 06-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You probably should run the Calibre Library Maintenance and fix any errors reported to make sure that the file system agrees with the database.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Just restore the entire library folder including the metadata.db file and things will be restored to what they were.

The most common way to accidentally remove books from the library is by using the Send to device and delete from library function or the email book and delete from library option.

I once sent 36 books via email and noticed I selected the "and delete from library" option. I had to restore the 36 books and the metadata.db version that existed just prior to emailing any of the books to get my library back to pre-mistake shape.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre keeps no books 'Alphabetically'

Book title info is stored internally in the order added and Indexed for display (Alphabetical, in your case).

Since you 'restored' from backup, can we assume trhat you looked into the destination folder before doing the restore? What did you see.

Double check that you don't have a restriction in place.
the words 'All Books' will be showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FilterOFF.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	72863  
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
mufc
Connoisseur

I can sort my books alphabetically by author
Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I can sort my books alphabetically by author
Display order has nothing to do with internal order.

Answer the Question:
Is there a search/restriction filter in place?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
mufc
Connoisseur

no I do not
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
no I do not
Thanks for confirming that filters were not hiding things.

I suspect that those books had a Periodicals Tag that matched a News download that was Flagged 'Delete over n days'. If my guess is correct, You did not have a 'crash', you had a massive cleanout old news in progress.

(I can't tell you what the disastrous tag value was. One of the Developers will have to speak up on that topic)
Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The tag used to identify periodicals is 'News' (or whatever the translation of that into the local language is). Though I have to say I find it highly unlikely that all books with A and B are all tagged News and all happen to be older than 60 days at the same time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The tag used to identify periodicals is 'News' (or whatever the translation of that into the local language is). Though I have to say I find it highly unlikely that all books with A and B are all tagged News and all happen to be older than 60 days at the same time.
Who knows what users do trying to mash Calibre into their way of thinking (or just fumbling around, learning )
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Phyrefly
Phyrefly began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
If you accidentally held down shift while clicking on "Calibre" and tagged news - you'd end up with every book before it being tagged as news. If all those books were already older than 60 days, you'd end up with them all being deleted.

Sounds like it fits... just sayin'

Rich
Phyrefly is offline   Reply With Quote