Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't have KOReader on my Sage which is where I noticed the issue with NickelMenu and highlights. Doing a quick check on my Clara HD and installing the 2022.1 OneClick package, I didn't see any issues with opening KOReader or Plato on my Clara HD though that testing was opening the renderer and then opening a single book.
Yeah, I took the plunge and tried it, KOReader working just fine, whew!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #17
agugu
Enthusiast
agugu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In firmware 4.31.19086, Kobo has added "Sideloaded Mode". This is intended for users who cannot connect to a network during the setup. The device will finish initialising and you can signin later. Some function will be missing until you sign in. Once you are in sideloaded mode, it does not force you to sign in and can continue using the device, but, the option is there.

While Kobo has added Sideloaded Mode, it is not intended for continued use. It is intended as a stopgap to get the device working when a network is not available so that sideloaded books can be read. I think that support from Kobo for Sideloaded Mode will be limited. If you have issues, Kobo will most likely ask you to sign in.

Having said that, when in Sideloaded Mode:
  • Almost all syncing behaviour is gone. If you tap the sync icon, it shows a "Sign in" button.
  • WiFi will work and does not force you to sign in when connected.
  • No home screen. The device opens to the book list.
  • The bottom of the screen has "My Books", "Activity" and "More"
  • The "More" tab has:
    • My Articles
    • Beta Features. This has all beta features including the browser.
    • Settings
    • Help
  • Within the Settings, most of the settings are available. The ones missing are one only useful when signed in.
  • Dictionaries can be changed and will be downloaded if WiFi is available.
  • The browser works.
  • Firmware updates can be looked for by using "Check for updates" on the Device information page of the settings.
  • You can authorise the book for Adobe DRM and sign into Pocket.

Overall, the device works without having to sign in and there is no evidence of the shop. The reading experience is unchanged. My testing was on an Aura ONE. I assume that Stylus and handwriting will be fully supported in the devices that support them. I do not know what will happen with audiobook support.

To get into Sideloaded Mode, I signed out of the Kobo account on my Aura ONE. Then I broke my network so that the device could not reach the Kobo server during setup.

When in Sideloaded Mode, the config file had the following entry in the "ApplicationPreferences" section:

Code:
SideloadedMode=true
I do not know what will happen if this is added to a device that is already signed into a Kobo account. And I do no know what will happen if it is removed from a device that is in Sideloaded Mode.
you can easily swap normal/sideloaed mode by changing SideloadedMode=true or false.without any influence to your account.
Only difference is that while you're in sildeloadedmode,there is no account signed in (check the sql database,your original account is still there)

tested in my sage
agugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 PM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In firmware 4.31.19086, Kobo has added "Sideloaded Mode". This is intended for users who cannot connect to a network during the setup. The device will finish initialising and you can signin later. Some function will be missing until you sign in. Once you are in sideloaded mode, it does not force you to sign in and can continue using the device, but, the option is there.

While Kobo has added Sideloaded Mode, it is not intended for continued use. It is intended as a stopgap to get the device working when a network is not available so that sideloaded books can be read. I think that support from Kobo for Sideloaded Mode will be limited. If you have issues, Kobo will most likely ask you to sign in.

Having said that, when in Sideloaded Mode:
  • Almost all syncing behaviour is gone. If you tap the sync icon, it shows a "Sign in" button.
  • WiFi will work and does not force you to sign in when connected.
  • No home screen. The device opens to the book list.
  • The bottom of the screen has "My Books", "Activity" and "More"
  • The "More" tab has:
    • My Articles
    • Beta Features. This has all beta features including the browser.
    • Settings
    • Help
  • Within the Settings, most of the settings are available. The ones missing are one only useful when signed in.
  • Dictionaries can be changed and will be downloaded if WiFi is available.
  • The browser works.
  • Firmware updates can be looked for by using "Check for updates" on the Device information page of the settings.
  • You can authorise the book for Adobe DRM and sign into Pocket.

Overall, the device works without having to sign in and there is no evidence of the shop. The reading experience is unchanged. My testing was on an Aura ONE. I assume that Stylus and handwriting will be fully supported in the devices that support them. I do not know what will happen with audiobook support.

To get into Sideloaded Mode, I signed out of the Kobo account on my Aura ONE. Then I broke my network so that the device could not reach the Kobo server during setup.

When in Sideloaded Mode, the config file had the following entry in the "ApplicationPreferences" section:

Code:
SideloadedMode=true
I do not know what will happen if this is added to a device that is already signed into a Kobo account. And I do no know what will happen if it is removed from a device that is in Sideloaded Mode.
This almost brings a tear to my eye. You say it's not intended for continued use,, but I'm failing to see the downside here... Even easier access to Activity right from the home screen is a plus...
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:11 AM   #19
agugu
Enthusiast
agugu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Someone forgot to update new firmware link for libra2??

I tried "https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/firmwares/kobo9/Jan2022/kobo-update-4.31.19086.zip" which is not in the list of that web.The file exists.Is this for libra2??
agugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:22 AM   #20
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agugu View Post
Someone forgot to update new firmware link for libra2??

I tried "https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/firmwares/kobo9/Jan2022/kobo-update-4.31.19086.zip" which is not in the list of that web.The file exists.Is this for libra2??
I hope so.... At least I know it won't brick the Libra 2
Advert
Old 01-21-2022, 01:04 AM   #21
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
I hope they fixed the led light to be ON when xharging the device on the Libra 2.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:07 AM   #22
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I hope they fixed the led light to be ON when xharging the device on the Libra 2.
Red light? My Libra 2 has a Blueish white that is illumated when sleeping and charging.. but that has always worked.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:41 AM   #23
Alexia
Bookworm
Alexia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Red light? My Libra 2 has a Blueish white that is illumated when sleeping and charging.. but that has always worked.
The light never worked on my Libra 2. I only see it flashing white when it's restarting.
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:44 AM   #24
Alexia
Bookworm
Alexia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra Colour
Will the new firmware include clock on while reading?
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:38 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Hmm, I just missed this when I updated my Elipsa yesterday. Sideloadmode is good as internet might be down when you buy a Kobo. Otherwise I've never ever had email to the specially created email addresses I've used for Kobo sign-in, other than my own test email.

However I won't rush to update as I need the KOReader to crop and contrast adjust scanned PDFs of ancient out-of-print books. The KFMon install for after a FW upgrade didn't bring back KOReader, I had to re-install it which lost some of the settings.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:54 AM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

However I won't rush to update as I need the KOReader to crop and contrast adjust scanned PDFs of ancient out-of-print books. The KFMon install for after a FW upgrade didn't bring back KOReader, I had to re-install it which lost some of the settings.

That's interesting. I did a reinstall of KOReader via the OCP after upgrading my Sage, and all the customized settings I'd setup were still intact. tbh, that surprised me, I expected to have lost them, but was delighted they survived.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:58 AM   #27
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
The light never worked on my Libra 2. I only see it flashing white when it's restarting.
same here. it light and flashes when I plug a charger and then its gone.

I was hoping it would remain lighted or at least flash while charging and steadies when the device is fully charged.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
same here. it light and flashes when I plug a charger and then its gone.
Yep, my Sage does the same. Of course, I see it MUCH more often thanks the Sage's picosecond battery life
Old 01-21-2022, 06:10 AM   #29
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Could anyone please see if they have fixed the Bluetooth (and or WiFi) that would turn on if you looked at the menu setting to turn them on (but didn't actually turn it on, it just activated by itself)?

I think it affected Libra 2 and Sage. I was hoping thus one would get a quick fix.

Thank you.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've also had the WiFi turn on by itself on the Elipsa with FW 4.30.18838
I'd not yet identified the cause, but possibly it was simply viewing the setting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release