Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

most - maybe all of my ebook conversions contain this line, before the html body
@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

is it put there by calibre ?

does it do what I think it does - i.e. force a top & bottom margin- if so can I override it with the extra CSS option rather than edit each books contents, so that I have no wasted white space at top / bottom when converted for Kindle ?, or is there a better way to countermand it please ?

PS - google found me this, in an old thread- does calibre still have no override or workaround ?

"Ah, the real problem here is one of calibre's slightly annoying quirks.

Calibre places an @page rule in the header of each html file, and this overrides any @page rule in the css.

The solution is to edit all your html files and remove the style that calibre has inserted at the top. It will look like this:

<style type="text/css">
@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }</style>

Once this has gone, then you can control the top and bottom margins from the @page rule in the css file."

PPS I read elsewhere that Kindle ignores or does not support bottom margin - it that's true , then this becomes a question only about controlling top margin,
also ( running out of PPPS's here ) googling "@page rule" suggests that it only applies to printed paginated media, so what is the code for in an .epub ?, and is messing with it a pointless exercise for books destined for e-readers?

Last edited by cybmole; 02-10-2011 at 03:54 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's there for those epub readers that support top and bottom margins and you can control it via the page setup options under conversion settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - so you're saying that values specified on the pages setup screen generate the margin top & bottom values in the @page code ?. makes sense, but how come then, that margin left, margin right elements are not also present in the @page line ( as all the page setup defaults are 5pts ? )

I can't view converted .mobi code, but does calibre add a similar @page line to its mobi output, or is this an epub-specific thing ?

last Q: where would I find more info on which epub readers that support top and bottom margins. my son has a sony 350 - does that ?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
It would be useful to have an option to switch off this @page per html file. Then any @page specified in the stylesheet would automatically apply to all pages. I use an entry in my CSS with units of "px" which means I then have to regex out all the @page blocks which calibre has inserted into the html files.

My Sony reader, (PRS-300), supports @page, so maybe all Sony readers do.

Last edited by Agama; 02-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
It would be useful to have an option to switch off this @page per html file. Then any @page specified in the stylesheet would automatically apply to all pages. I use an entry in my CSS with units of "px" which means I then have to regex out all the @page blocks which calibre has inserted into the html files.

My Sony reader, (PRS-300), supports @page, so maybe all Sony readers do.
if I have understood Kovid correctly, you can remove it by setting zero values on the page setup options then converting epub to epub - I have not tested that, but if it works it would be faster than regex page by page.

i don't get the design logic though - why does calibre add it to each html file rather than set it once, globally in css ?
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

i don't get the design logic though - why does calibre add it to each html file rather than set it once, globally in css ?
Because different pages can sometimes need different margins. Think of dedication pages or other head matter.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because different pages can sometimes need different margins. Think of dedication pages or other head matter.
Interesting. I have also always wondered why the @page info is in each html file. Most of the non-calibre-created epubs I've needed to tweak seem to just use different css classes for special pages such as front and back matter.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Interesting. I have also always wondered why the @page info is in each html file. Most of the non-calibre-created epubs I've needed to tweak seem to just use different css classes for special pages such as front and back matter.
You cannot use a CSS class for an @page rule as far as I know. And setting a top and bottom margin on body is pointless since you want the margins on each screenful of text, bot just the start and end.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. Most of the epubs I've looked at haven't used @page at all, they've used CSS to force a new page and then applied a large margin-top to the first paragraph. A lot of frontmatter is a bunch of individual single pages. Mind you I mainly read novels.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-11-2011 at 03:38 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah, well calibre's strategy is a lot more flexible.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
ok - so you could manually edit the @page values for specific parts of a book after calibre has added them e.g. by editing the epub with sigil.

but next time you run the book through calibre - say to get a .mobi version - it's going to re-insert the default code into every file ?

or am I misunderstanding, still ?

( I did partially test this - I removed all the @page stuff from a book with sigil , saved , then re-converted epub to epub with calbre , & saw that it has all been put back again. i did epub to epub to that I could re-examine the output file code. For real, I'd be wanting to do e-pub to mobi. I did not test the effect of altering some of the margin values in some of the files only though )
Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

MOBI does not support top and bottom margins.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
MOBI does not support top and bottom margins.
Hmm- well Kindle mobi does in that I can go to an epub css, add top / bottom margins to any of the .calibre styles, and those changes will show up after converting to mobi & sending to Kindle - the ignore margins option in Kindle output does not negate those

e.g. these margin top settings ( from an actual epub book) both work OK in that I can see them being applied within the Kindle display.
Code:
calibre14 {
    display: block;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 1em;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 0
    }
.calibre15 {
    display: block;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 11pt;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 0
    }
so top / bottom is supported at a paragraph / style level. do you mean it is not supported at a @page level ?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
do you mean it is not supported at a @page level?
Not only is that what he means but that is what he stated throughout this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
if I have understood Kovid correctly, you can remove it by setting zero values on the page setup options then converting epub to epub - I have not tested that, but if it works it would be faster than regex page by page.
Unfortunately not, it doesn't actually remove the @page data. Calibre simply adds @page { margin-bottom: 0.000000pt; margin-top: 0.000000pt; } to every file.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote