Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #2056
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
One way or another - optional clock while reading (like in kindle) will satisfy those who want a clock and those who don't want it.
Too simplistic, I suspect. I predict that if/when Kobo introduce such an option it will be closely followed by loud forum whining ...

... it's at the top, I want it at the bottom.
... it's on the left, I want it on the right.
... it's too big.
... it's too small.
... it's black when I wanted grey.
... it's using the wrong font
... why can't I show Date/Battery level/Brightness as well as Time
... and on and on ...

Luckily NanoClock (and it's predecessor MiniClock) anticipated all of that and more. Anyone who wants their own idea of the perfect perma-clock enough will make the effort to install/configure it. The rest will continue to vent in threads like this. May as well howl at the moon, as Kobo don't read this thread, as far as I know.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #2057
Alexia
Bookworm
Alexia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Too simplistic, I suspect. I predict that if/when Kobo introduce such an option it will be closely followed by loud forum whining ...

... it's at the top, I want it at the bottom.
... it's on the left, I want it on the right.
... it's too big.
... it's too small.
... it's black when I wanted grey.
... it's using the wrong font
... why can't I show Date/Battery level/Brightness as well as Time
... and on and on ...

Luckily NanoClock (and it's predecessor MiniClock) anticipated all of that and more. Anyone who wants their own idea of the perfect perma-clock enough will make the effort to install/configure it. The rest will continue to vent in threads like this. May as well howl at the moon, as Kobo don't read this thread, as far as I know.
Again, why one sided thinking?... People will whine about location of clock - so let's just avoid it and not make this option at all...

General public don't care or can't install any additional programs. They want to have the option right there in the setting in the reader to tick or not. Those people will either use this clock (no matter location) or not. Just like in KINDLE.

IF Small percentage of people want to whine about location, they can play with mini or nano clock.

But for now, majority of people who can't install mini or nano clock whine about NOT having clock - anywhere.
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2022, 09:52 PM   #2058
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Again, why one sided thinking?... People will whine about location of clock - so let's just avoid it and not make this option at all...

General public don't care or can't install any additional programs. They want to have the option right there in the setting in the reader to tick or not. Those people will either use this clock (no matter location) or not. Just like in KINDLE.

IF Small percentage of people want to whine about location, they can play with mini or nano clock.
And why should the small amount of people who whine about not having a clock be catered for? And it is a small amount. The number who are interested and commented on it is a small number relative to the population of this forum. And it will be an even smaller percentage of all ereader users.

And why are you allowed to whine about not having a clock, but, then no one would be allowed to whine about the position? Are you saying that your opinion of the position is better than anyone elses? Or that you don't care where it goes as long as it is there.

And @jackie_w's comment also demonstrates it is not just "add an option to show the clock". Someone has to:
  • Work out if it is a desirable feature. You want it, but, does even 1% of the users want it?
  • Work out what the option should be called. And yes, that is important and a lot harder than you think.
  • Decide if it is on or off by default. Which also affects the above.
  • Device where the clock should be displayed.
  • Rearrange the screen to work with the clock.
  • Decide where in the options it will go and rebuild them.
  • Work out what else adding this will affect.
  • Write all the code to handle the options and display of the clock.
  • Test all this.
  • Fix the bugs.
  • Update the documentation.
  • Make sure that the support people are ready for the complaints and demands for it to be changed.

I find the demands in this forum for "just add an option" to by quite funny as it never is that simple. And they just don't understand that there is a lot more work than that. Of course, it's also annoying as they keep demanding it.

And before you go on again about how lots of people out there want this, prove it. I can't one way or the other. But, I do know that Kobo will have a much better idea than either of us. They do have stats from their applications. They do user testing. They have all the feedback that comes through the support channels.

Of course, if this is as important to you as you are making it out, I assume you have told Kobo. I mean, coming here is a good way to let off steam about things, but, this is not an official support channel for Kobo devices. It isn't even close to being an unnofficial support channel.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #2059
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But for now, majority of people who can't install mini or nano clock whine about NOT having clock - anywhere.
They *do* have a clock. A single tap makes it appear in the top right corner.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 PM   #2060
Alexia
Bookworm
Alexia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Of course, if this is as important to you as you are making it out, I assume you have told Kobo. I mean, coming here is a good way to let off steam about things, but, this is not an official support channel for Kobo devices. It isn't even close to being an unnofficial support channel.
The whole thread started as
Quote:
This also allows the Kobo support staff who are participants on Mobileread to find 'em all!
and is named "Kobo future firmware feature request thread"

So here was my request:

Quote:
I'd really like a clock to be displayed all the time while reading.
That's all. The rest of the discussion was based on answer to me to install a nano clock.

And by the way, I did notify the official Kobo support about this thing.

Quote:
"eye roll"

Last edited by Alexia; 01-22-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2022, 12:48 AM   #2061
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Yes, but for those used to a good clock like in the Kindle that is a definitely second rate option.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:51 AM   #2062
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
And why should the small amount of people who whine about not having a clock be catered for? And it is a small amount. The number who are interested and commented on it is a small number relative to the population of this forum. And it will be an even smaller percentage of all ereader users.

And why are you allowed to whine about not having a clock, but, then no one would be allowed to whine about the position? Are you saying that your opinion of the position is better than anyone elses? Or that you don't care where it goes as long as it is there.

And @jackie_w's comment also demonstrates it is not just "add an option to show the clock". Someone has to:
  • Work out if it is a desirable feature. You want it, but, does even 1% of the users want it?
  • Work out what the option should be called. And yes, that is important and a lot harder than you think.
  • Decide if it is on or off by default. Which also affects the above.
  • Device where the clock should be displayed.
  • Rearrange the screen to work with the clock.
  • Decide where in the options it will go and rebuild them.
  • Work out what else adding this will affect.
  • Write all the code to handle the options and display of the clock.
  • Test all this.
  • Fix the bugs.
  • Update the documentation.
  • Make sure that the support people are ready for the complaints and demands for it to be changed.

I find the demands in this forum for "just add an option" to by quite funny as it never is that simple. And they just don't understand that there is a lot more work than that. Of course, it's also annoying as they keep demanding it.

And before you go on again about how lots of people out there want this, prove it. I can't one way or the other. But, I do know that Kobo will have a much better idea than either of us. They do have stats from their applications. They do user testing. They have all the feedback that comes through the support channels.

A fairly typical left reply. Anyone asking for something not personally wanted is whining. An equally good question, why get so invested in something you don't personally want? Why not ignore it and if in the future Kobo is intelligent enough and thoughtful enough to offer the excellent feature then continue to ignore it if you don't want to use it?
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:54 AM   #2063
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
A fairly typical left reply.
"Left"?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #2064
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
A fairly typical left reply.
I have to ask the same question as @meeera. I assume you mean "left-wing" or some political thing like that.
Quote:
Anyone asking for something not personally wanted is whining. An equally good question, why get so invested in something you don't personally want? Why not ignore it and if in the future Kobo is intelligent enough and thoughtful enough to offer the excellent feature then continue to ignore it if you don't want to use it?
Honestly, because @Alexia used the word "whine". He basically was insulting anyone that did not have the same opinion as him. I felt the need to explain a few things.

But, as you so intelligently point out, I could have ignored it. But, so could you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #2065
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Honestly, because @Alexia used the word "whine". He basically was insulting anyone that did not have the same opinion as him. I felt the need to explain a few things.
To be fair, I was the first person to use the word "whining", but it wasn't meant to be aimed at any individual.

For the record, I'm completely indifferent to whether Kobo choose to spend their time adding an optional permanent clock. But being heavily involved with the kobopatch system I do have plenty of personal experience of users asking whether things can be tweaked whenever Kobo adds a new feature.

... anyway, as yet another thread descends into unpleasant bickering, time to exit.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #2066
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
+1 on the clock, preferably 24hr.

Yes I'll probably get the patch but it would be nice if it was in the firmware, less chance of me messing it up
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #2067
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The whole thread started as and is named "Kobo future firmware feature request thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
This also allows the Kobo support staff who are participants on Mobileread to find 'em all!
Did you notice that post you quoted was from November, 2010?

Very few of the Kobo staff who posted in these forums are still around as Kobo employees and I suspect those few would rather nick themselves a few times and go swimming with sharks before posting on Mobileread again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #2068
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Just to chime in I tried one of the clock options I forget which, probably mini clock, and have since abandoned using it. I don’t find it to be as useful as I thought. I always have my phone and/or watch on me and given how I hold the Sage one handed it’s not hard to check the time.

So do take the number of people installing the clock mods with a grain of salt. Not only are the forums not representative of the general public but the downloads for those mods aren’t representative of those who still use it.

Finally I’d like to point out that those who make the mods have said they are tricky to implement, partially because they’re trying to get around the system but also just keeping them from being resource hogs and looking nice.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #2069
taddymack
taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!taddymack is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I bought Libra several weeks ago I started to grumble (to myself) about a nuisance to push the display every time when I am about to check the clock while reading. Why? Because some books I want to read only for some short time span. So to have this feature in the firmware would be a plus (for me).
taddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:42 PM   #2070
BatteryPowered
BatteryPowered began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Clara HD, Sage
I actually like having (digital) clocks on my devices, a simple small clock during reading would be fine. No massive customization options needed in my opinion.

The Kobo devices already do an NTP sync during the daily sync routine so can have a quite accurate clock.

Maybe the Kobo employees aren't here anymore but I know for a fact Mobileread does quite well with the average Google search.

One can only hope.
BatteryPowered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo