Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #481
MrBryan
MrBryan began at the beginning.

Device: nook glow light 4
TWRP worked second time through. Sharing for anyone else.

First time it kind of bricked it. It just boots the load screen and then goes to "your nook is off press and hold the power button to turn on" (might have been because i tried to directly boot trwp first as seen in command screenshot)

But I managed to kick it into fastboot in the brief moment while it was on the loadscreen and second flash of twrp worked.

MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #482
MrBryan

One last note in this thread I have already flooded like a psycho:

the keymap file location for other glowlight devices wasn't in the file location

( /system/usr/keylayout/imx-keypad.kl per https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/n.../post-74474994 )

There were all kinds of kl files with various device & product ids but the only one that looked promising was sunxi-keyboard.kl

I changed one entry 192 to "BACK" as suggested but it had no effect.

Key savior works but I think the service causes kernel crashes forcing reboots when left on.

I have been trying to update and compile N+ Toolkit for android 8.1 that enabled A2 mode and other tweaks but so far the new apk is still crashing.

Last edited by MrBryan; 09-14-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 06:31 AM   #483
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
That's because the correct file is Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl
Code:
#
# Key layout file for physical buttons
#

key 116  POWER
key 102  HOME

key 191  APP_SWITCH  # top left
key 192  PAGE_UP     # top right
key 193  BACK        # bottom left
key 194  PAGE_DOWN   # bottom right
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #484
MrBryan

That worked!

Thanks so much again, @Renate (and for the years of benefit I got for all your help with the NST before this). Truly appreciated
Old 09-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #485
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Ok, I'm trying to read through this thread, but it's 33 pages long now.

So, the nook has a UMS partition that's only 5 GB for sideloading. If I use calibre to sync over content to the nook, is it copying it onto UMS or onto the much larger internal storage?

How do I get stuff onto the internal storage, if Calibre can't do it?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2022, 01:15 PM   #486
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know Calibre at all, but I presume that it can transfer over MTP?

I do everything with my own AdbSync.exe which just uses ADB.

There's no reason for anything to be using UMS.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #487
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't know Calibre at all, but I presume that it can transfer over MTP?

I do everything with my own AdbSync.exe which just uses ADB.

There's no reason for anything to be using UMS.
I didn't know that the Nook did MTP.

Where specifically are you moving the files on the nook?
Old 09-20-2022, 01:44 PM   #488
apastuszak
Evangelist

And, how did you enable adb on it?

Found out how to do it:

https://goodereader.com/blog/knowled...ok-glowlight-4

Last edited by apastuszak; 09-20-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:19 PM   #489
Renate
Wizard

Code:
# ls -l *mtp*
-rw-r--r-- root     root        74920 2008-08-01 05:00 libmtp.so
# grep mtp /*.rc
/init.E60Q50.usb.rc:on property:sys.usb.config=mtp
/init.E60Q50.usb.rc:on property:sys.usb.config=mtp,adb
/init.rc:service mtpd /system/bin/mtpd
Oh, right, you're talking about the Glow '21
That has it all too.

Last edited by Renate; 09-20-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #490
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Found out how to do it:

crap://goodereader.com/blog/knowledge-base/how-to-install-android-apps-on-nook-glowlight-4
That website has definitevely proven itself as being unrepentant plagiarists.
Read this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=394
Old 09-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #491
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
That website has definitevely proven itself as being unrepentant plagiarists.
Read this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=394
Wow. That's pretty bad. Any recommendations for a better site that does reviews of ereaders?
Old 09-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #492
Renate
Wizard

No, I don't have any recommendation for recommendations, except here.
People have very strong opinions on buttons/no buttons, bezel/flush, size, color...
Narrow it down then check the device-specific forums.

My choice: Onyx Poke3.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:28 AM   #493
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Any views on alternative software for GL4? The default one is slow and user unfriendly. I've tried android launcher and koreader but the battery goes down from 100 to 70 within one hour. There is software available for GL3 on XDA. Would it work on GL4?
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:24 AM   #494
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
... the battery goes down from 100 to 70 within one hour.
That sounds pretty extreme, although percentages can be quite misleading.
Are you seeing the voltage really drop that much?

I can honestly say that with all my ereaders I've never really paid attention to battery level. I keep the WiFi off which is a savings by itself, but also puts a damper on all the apps that want to check for updates, phone home or post analytics.

Well, also, I do so much development with ereaders connected that I hardly ever intentionally charge them.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #495
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
Any views on alternative software for GL4? The default one is slow and user unfriendly. I've tried android launcher and koreader but the battery goes down from 100 to 70 within one hour. There is software available for GL3 on XDA. Would it work on GL4?
I have Nova Launcher, KOReader and some otehr apps installed on my GL 4. I have never seen that kind of a drop in battery life, even with WiFi always on. If your battery readings are accurate, something else is chewing up battery life or something is just plain wrong.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook