Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #436
bingbong
bingbong began at the beginning.

Device: Glowlight 4
How to use Android "back" "app switcher"?

Hi guys! I installed Nova launcher following @downeaster59's instructions. But so far I've been unable use standard Android functions like back or the app switcher. Does anyone know how to activate these in the Glowlight 4? Thanks!
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:04 PM   #437
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Mmm, are you looking for a navigation bar at the bottom or do you want to use the physical buttons?

I haven't been paying much attention to the Glow '21. I'm still using Magisk on it (while my Poke3 has gone Magisk-less).
I remapped the physical buttons on the Glow '21 in /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl
You need Magisk or something else to modify /system
Code:
#
# Key layout file for physical buttons
#

key 116  POWER
key 102  HOME

key 191  APP_SWITCH  # top left
key 192  PAGE_UP     # top right
key 193  BACK        # bottom left
key 194  PAGE_DOWN   # bottom right
The default B&N keys are F9-F12
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 01:44 AM   #438
bingbong

Re: How to use Android "back" "app switcher"?

Quote:
Mmm, are you looking for a navigation bar at the bottom or do you want to use the physical buttons?
Either actually, I just need the functionality to navigate Android. Thanks for the suggestion, will look into Magisk
Old 07-17-2022, 07:08 AM   #439
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Very nice. I would be tempted if I hadn’t just bought an Oasis.
You might find that going back to a 6" screen is not all that nice. I find reading better on a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #440
bingbong

Changing wallpaper in nova launcher

Is anyone else having trouble setting a wallpaper in nova launcher?
I just want a white background
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #441
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eink builds tend to do goofy and strong-armed things with wallpaper.
Your friendly neighborhood wallpaper setter will set /data/system/users/0/wallpaper correctly. You can pull that file and check (it's a PNG).
Unfortunately, the Glow '21 never renders that as background, it uses black. Period.
(Semi-unrelated: The Poke3 lets you set wallpaper but it always renders background as white.)

You can try my simple wallpaper setter in my sig.
If you load it on a phone you can see how the background in the app itself changes instantly.

Edit: Also, the Glow '21 doesn't respect wnd.requestFeature(Window.FEATURE_NO_TITLE)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallpaper.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	195114  

Last edited by Renate; 07-18-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #442
bingbong

Changing wallpaper in nova launcher

Dude thanks so much, will try your app
Old 07-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #443
Renate
Wizard

I don't know Nova Launcher (as you see, I use "Lunch") but you can just mod it with a fixed white background.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #444
token_01
token_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
OK, here's how to root the GL4. What I've done is taken Renate's post #37 from the XDA thread referenced in my previous post and fleshed it out a bit:

This presumes that you have ADB working and have already installed an alternate Android launcher on your GL4. If you haven't done any of this, check out this post before proceeding.

Here we go. Note that our Nook can be a bit stubborn about responding to ADB commands, so if it doesn't work the first time, try again and/or ask for help!

1) Download the GL4 firmware to your desktop or laptop from here.

2) Unzip the file.

3) Look for boot.img in the unzipped file and transfer it to your GL4.

4) Download the Magisk app from here and install it on your GL4. (Note: that link is also a very helpful source of info for Magisk.)

5) Run the Magisk app.

6) You'll see two slightly shaded boxes, entitled Magisk and App, respectively. In the Magisk box, directly to the right of the word Magisk, tap Install.

7) Under "Select and patch a file", select the boot.img file you just copied to your GL4. If you don't see this option in the first Magisk window you arrive at after tapping "install", tap "next" and you will.

8) Once Magisk completes its work on your boot.img, it will say so and will tell you where the patched file is located.

9) Copy the patched file back to your desktop/laptop. You can use ADB pull if you wish.

10) Enter the command adb reboot bootloader on your desktop/laptop.

11) Then, this command: fastboot flash boot the name of your magisk-patched boot.img. (I italicized that to indicate that you type the name of your Magisk-patched file instead of what's in italics!!) You can copy and paste the Magisk-patched file instead of typing out its full name. Tap Enter or Return, depending on what laptop/desktop you have.

12) Reboot to system. You can try adb reboot system or simply turn off your GL4 and turn it back on. You should be rooted now. Check by running the Magisk app once you are rebooted. Under the Magisk heading, besides "Installed", you should see a number. If you see "No", it didn't root properly. You can also install a root checker app to check root.

I hope I haven't missed anything!

Followed instructions. Device will not power on.

Definitely missed something...

Last edited by token_01; 07-18-2022 at 08:25 PM.
token_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #445
Renate
Wizard

Grr, maybe you flashed something bad?
Post what you flashed as an image, the Magisk.
(There's no personal info in a boot image as long as it's actually a boot image.)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:56 PM   #446
token_01

I was able to restore the device to its previous state.

As far as I can tell the instructions caused the device to malfunction.

I used the links provided.

I did not amend anything. There is definitely something wrong with the information provided.

Last edited by token_01; 07-18-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #447
token_01

Duplicate.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:15 AM   #448
keitaro26
keitaro26 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

10) Enter the command adb reboot bootloader on your desktop/laptop.
This is as far as I can get. My device locks up and never reboots to the boot loader. Trying to proceed to the next step just gives me <waiting for any devices>. Any suggestions?
keitaro26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:09 AM   #449
Renate
Wizard

Maybe you're missing the driver for fastboot?
Check in DeviceManager for a device with exclamation mark.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #450
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I note that a few people recently have had issues when following the instructions I posted. These instructions worked flawlessly for me and for many others at the time I posted them. If they are not working for you, let me offer a few things to check on as a start:

1) Did you enable USB debugging on your GL 4?
2) Following up on Renate's suggestion, check to see that adb and fastboot are properly installed on your desktop/laptop.
3) It is possible, though unlikely, that a Nook firmware update could have changed the way your GL 4 responds to some commands. I can't test for this as I blocked Nook firmware updates, to save myself the hassle of re-rooting every time there is an update. If someone else wants to test for this, thank you!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook