Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #406
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I checked that out and found the same thing to be true. There's no money involved, but it's the ethics of the thing that annoys me.
Eithics? GoodEreader asks "what are these 'ethics' you speak of?"
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #407
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
"We don' need no stinkin' ethics."
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #408
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I checked that out and found the same thing to be true. There's no money involved, but it's the ethics of the thing that annoys me.
No money involved? Are we sure?

I see ads pop up when I go to that page.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #409
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I couldn't get the Kindle app to work properly with the GL4. The app installs and opens. I can select a book and open it. But then the page won't turn nor can I bring up the formatting options.

I started looking at older versions of the Kindle app. I finally found one that allowed me to read books... but not all books. Any book with the Page Flip feature freezes the app when I open it. So, it seems that the Page Flip feature doesn't play nicely with the GL4. I don't know of any way to disable that feature in the Kindle app. I believe that the feature is built in to certain books.

I may have found the source of the problem, but I don't know if it can be fixed. A still older version of the app?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #410
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I just download using Kindle for PC and sideload the books with Calibre. Not as fun maybe. But it works.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #411
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I just download using Kindle for PC and sideload the books with Calibre. Not as fun maybe. But it works.
That's what I usually do. It's easier and usually less frustrating. Sometimes I try something like this just for the challenge!
Old 03-18-2022, 05:48 PM   #412
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
That's what I usually do. It's easier and usually less frustrating. Sometimes I try something like this just for the challenge!
If you're game for more challenges, you might try Kindle Lite v. 1.9. It's the only Kindle app that would run on the CM 11 ROM for the NST (albeit slowly). With more modern resources you shouldn't have speed issues, but it may just be able to work properly with the e-ink display.

Drawbacks:

1. As the name implies, this is pretty basic stuff, similar to the old Kindle app that runs on the NST in terms of bells and whistles (i.e., none).
2. It is intended for totally online (data) use so you have to make the effort to download a book for offline use. Otherwise it only exists in the ether. Works fine, but it's not automatic. Dictionaries, also, can be downloaded for offline use.
3. It will not recognize side-loaded books (*.mobi, *.azw, etc.).

It does work with Kindle library books and shows up on your Amazon account as a target device.

There are newer versions (maybe better for you), but you might start with 1.9:

https://apkgit.com/download/com.amazon.klite_1.9_free
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #413
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
If you're game for more challenges, you might try Kindle Lite v. 1.9. It's the only Kindle app that would run on the CM 11 ROM for the NST (albeit slowly). With more modern resources you shouldn't have speed issues, but it may just be able to work properly with the e-ink display.

Drawbacks:

1. As the name implies, this is pretty basic stuff, similar to the old Kindle app that runs on the NST in terms of bells and whistles (i.e., none).
2. It is intended for totally online (data) use so you have to make the effort to download a book for offline use. Otherwise it only exists in the ether. Works fine, but it's not automatic. Dictionaries, also, can be downloaded for offline use.
3. It will not recognize side-loaded books (*.mobi, *.azw, etc.).

It does work with Kindle library books and shows up on your Amazon account as a target device.

There are newer versions (maybe better for you), but you might start with 1.9:

https://apkgit.com/download/com.amazon.klite_1.9_free
This looked promising, but proved to be a no-go. If I install an older version, as soon as I open the app, a window pops up telling me to upgrade to the newest version. I cannot close the window or use the app. When I try the latest version, it will not even install on my GL4!

Edit: I finally found a 1.17 version apk on another site that installed on my GL4. When I ran that, I got a message telling me that this app is no longer in use and that I should download the Kindle app. End of wild goose chase!!!

Last edited by downeaster59; 03-18-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:49 AM   #414
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Oops. Sorry about that. It's been awhile since I worked with it.

Everything always has to be improved until it is useless.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #415
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
Oops. Sorry about that. It's been awhile since I worked with it.

Everything always has to be improved until it is useless.
It was worth a try! Thanks for pointing out a possibility, even if this one didn't lead anywhere. The next one might.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #416
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe you should just defeat the version check in the one that stalls?
Old 03-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #417
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Maybe you should just defeat the version check in the one that stalls?
I don't know if that would be helpful if I would still get the message that the app is no longer in use.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:29 PM   #418
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have the new Nook. Just now getting around to using it since most of my books are Kindle/Kobo. I like it. Prefer Kobo and Kindle still. Nook is good if you do not need all the bells and whistles.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:57 AM   #419
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Couple of questions, anyone who bought the GL4 found out if you can change the front page so it doesn't show the recommendations? Or can you pull up the library to a full page?

Also any of you use OverDrive with your local library to borrow e-books? I assume ADE is still needed to do so.

Thanks in advance
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #420
Renate
Wizard

I don't use the OverDrive app on devices, I just use the desktop app and sync from there.
It still works on the three library systems that I use (and the same bugs are still there).

Tags
nook