Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM   #376
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Anyone have a Glowlight 4 and a Clara? I'm curious about their dimensions, side by side.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #377
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Here's my page turn button report!

I've been trying to find a way to get the page turn buttons to work on third party reader apps I have installed on my GL4. I found that once I rooted my device, making the key changes that Renate made on her Nook (see above, post #279 and others) did the job for all but one of my third party apps. However, it took the physical button capacity away from the Nook stock reader, as it is looking for buttons coded F9-F12. How to have the buttons working all across the board?

I tried several approaches, but the only one that worked for me was an app called Key Mapper. It allowed me to simulate a screen tap on either the right or left side of the screen, or anywhere else. I set up my physical page turn keys so that short press works for the third party apps and long press (using Key Mapper) works for the Nook stock reader and the other third party app. I have my physical buttons operational across the board now.

It can be done!
Sorry, would you mind explaining who you have managed to map the page turn buttons to work on Koreader. Just in the middle of doing this and cannot put this to work. Thx.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2022, 06:54 PM   #378
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Anyone have a Glowlight 4 and a Clara? I'm curious about their dimensions, side by side.
Clara HD: 110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm WHD
Glow 4: 120.7 by 157.5 by 5.08 mm WHD
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #379
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
Sorry, would you mind explaining who you have managed to map the page turn buttons to work on Koreader. Just in the middle of doing this and cannot put this to work. Thx.
These instructions assume that your GL4 is rooted. You need root for this method to work.

First, you need to install a file manager app that works with root. I use Root Explorer. Once you've installed the file manager and it has root:

In the file manager app, find /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl
Press on the Vendor_0001_Product_0001.kl folder. Select "open with" and choose a text viewer this time. You will see this at the end of the file:

#key 191 VOLUME_UP
#key 192 PAGE_UP
#key 193 VOLUME_DOWM
#key 194 PAGE_DOWN

key 191 F10
key 192 F11
key 193 F9
key 194 F12

Now press the folder again and select a text editor. Delete the last four lines entirely. You want to get rid of F9-F12. Edit the previous four lines to look like this:

key 191 APP_SWITCH # top left
key 192 PAGE_UP # top right
key 193 BACK # bottom left
key 194 PAGE_DOWN # bottom right

Everything from the # on is unnecessary for the command to work; I left it there to tell you which key controls which button. You can assign the buttons differently if you prefer them to work a different way.

When you are done editing, save your file and reboot. The buttons should work on KOReader (and other similar apps).

Thanks to Renate for finding this for us!

I hope this helps!

Warning!! Doing this will disable the physical buttons for the Nook stock app! The Nook stock reader is set up to look for the F9-F12 keys. If you want the physical buttons to work on the Nook stock app, you'll need an app like Key Mapper. That will allow you to simulate a screen tap with the physical buttons in the Nook stock reader.

Last edited by downeaster59; 02-28-2022 at 09:13 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:12 PM   #380
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Wow, pretty close. What a difference between all the older Nooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2022, 02:04 AM   #381
nick84
Enthusiast

Quote:
These instructions assume that your GL4 is rooted. You need root for this method to work.
Crap, it appears that I missed this part.
Quote:
And I did tell you how to root it, although somebody ought to write out the procedure in longhand.
I would be grateful for some guidance on where to start please.
I'm desperate in putting the page turn buttons to work on Koreader as it is the best reading app I have ever seen.

Actually while using Koreader as it is now the left bottom page turn button seems to be active in a way it brings up the menu. It doesn't bring any specific tab and it depends on which one has been used recently. So perhaps there is a way to program the buttons without having to root Nook.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:04 AM   #382
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Is the depth for the GL4 accurate? That is pretty thin for a device with a recessed screen?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #383
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Crap, it appears that I missed this part.

I would be grateful for some guidance on where to start please.
I'm desperate in putting the page turn buttons to work on Koreader as it is the best reading app I have ever seen.

Actually while using Koreader as it is now the left bottom page turn button seems to be active in a way it brings up the menu. It doesn't bring any specific tab and it depends on which one has been used recently. So perhaps there is a way to program the buttons without having to root Nook.
As others have noted, the information as to how to root our GL4 is out there, but no one (that I know of) has pulled it together in one place. I'll need to remind myself how I achieved root and then translate that into a clear step-by-step guide that anyone can follow.

In the meantime, if you want to get started, you can root the GL4 by using Magisk. If that doesn't mean anything to you, wait for my guide - unless someone else wants to beat me to it and do one!

PS - I noticed that same thing with that left bottom button when using KOReader before I rooted my GL4. It's some feature unique to that app. Unless you know how to edit the actual apk for KOReader, you'll still need to root to get the physical buttons remapped!

Last edited by downeaster59; 03-01-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #384
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is the depth for the GL4 accurate? That is pretty thin for a device with a recessed screen?
Every dimension list for the GL4 I've seen lists the depth as 5.08mm and/or 0.2 inches.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #385
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Every dimension list for the GL4 I've seen lists the depth as 5.08mm and/or 0.2 inches.
I googled and saw multiple sites saying that, but that seems very thin. My Forma is 5mm thin a little ways in from the thin side, and it doesn't have a recessed screen.

Anyone actually physically seen a GL4 and does it seem like 5mm?
Old 03-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #386
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I googled and saw multiple sites saying that, but that seems very thin. My Forma is 5mm thin a little ways in from the thin side, and it doesn't have a recessed screen.

Anyone actually physically seen a GL4 and does it seem like 5mm?
I have one. They must measure it at the recessed screen. Measuring at the edge, it comes out to about 0.23 in.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:24 AM   #387
nick84
Enthusiast

Quote:
In the meantime, if you want to get started, you can root the GL4 by using Magisk. If that doesn't mean anything to you, wait for my guide - unless someone else wants to beat me to it and do one!
Thanks. I think I'll wait to hear from you. Much appreciated

I have asked the question on Koreader thread. Perhaps the developer has any idea what is causing one of the page turn buttons to "work".

Last edited by nick84; 03-02-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:16 AM   #388
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have one. They must measure it at the recessed screen. Measuring at the edge, it comes out to about 0.23 in.
That is still nice and thin. 0.23"/5.82mm.

Thank you for checking.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #389
nick84
Enthusiast

Quote:
PS - I noticed that same thing with that left bottom button when using KOReader before I rooted my GL4. It's some feature unique to that app. Unless you know how to edit the actual apk for KOReader, you'll still need to root to get the physical buttons remapped!
I was suggested to check this link https://github.com/koreader/koreader...customize-keys although unsure if this still requires rooting.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #390
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
I was suggested to check this link https://github.com/koreader/koreader...customize-keys although unsure if this still requires rooting.
This thread may contain the info you need. People on this thread may be able to help you get the buttons working on KOReader. I haven't read through everything, but it looks as though you could do this without root. Again, people on this thread may know. I'm still planning to do my root guide soon, I hope!

Edit: Let me also point out this forum on XDA that has useful info!

Last edited by downeaster59; 03-02-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Tags
nook