Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #391
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
OK, here's how to root the GL4. What I've done is taken Renate's post #37 from the XDA thread referenced in my previous post and fleshed it out a bit:

This presumes that you have ADB working and have already installed an alternate Android launcher on your GL4. If you haven't done any of this, check out this post before proceeding.

Here we go. Note that our Nook can be a bit stubborn about responding to ADB commands, so if it doesn't work the first time, try again and/or ask for help!

1) Download the GL4 firmware to your desktop or laptop from here.

2) Unzip the file.

3) Look for boot.img in the unzipped file and transfer it to your GL4.

4) Download the Magisk app from here and install it on your GL4. (Note: that link is also a very helpful source of info for Magisk.)

5) Run the Magisk app.

6) You'll see two slightly shaded boxes, entitled Magisk and App, respectively. In the Magisk box, directly to the right of the word Magisk, tap Install.

7) Under "Select and patch a file", select the boot.img file you just copied to your GL4. If you don't see this option in the first Magisk window you arrive at after tapping "install", tap "next" and you will.

8) Once Magisk completes its work on your boot.img, it will say so and will tell you where the patched file is located.

9) Copy the patched file back to your desktop/laptop. You can use ADB pull if you wish.

10) Enter the command adb reboot bootloader on your desktop/laptop.

11) Then, this command: fastboot flash boot the name of your magisk-patched boot.img. (I italicized that to indicate that you type the name of your Magisk-patched file instead of what's in italics!!) You can copy and paste the Magisk-patched file instead of typing out its full name. Tap Enter or Return, depending on what laptop/desktop you have.

12) Reboot to system. You can try adb reboot system or simply turn off your GL4 and turn it back on. You should be rooted now. Check by running the Magisk app once you are rebooted. Under the Magisk heading, besides "Installed", you should see a number. If you see "No", it didn't root properly. You can also install a root checker app to check root.

I hope I haven't missed anything!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #392
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Quote:
7) Under "Select and patch a file", select the boot.img file you just copied to your GL4. If you don't see this option in the first Magisk window you arrive at after tapping "install", tap "next" and you will.
My Nook does not see the .img file. The file has been definitely transferred onto Nook.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #393
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
My Nook does not see the .img file. The file has been definitely transferred onto Nook.
Try it again or try copying the boot.img file to a different location on your Nook, like Downloads.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:23 PM   #394
downeaster59
Wizard

Just discovered that I’ve made it in the techie world! My post here was copied word for word by GoodEReader here.

How nice…
Old 03-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #395
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Just discovered that I’ve made it in the techie world! My post here was copied word for word by GoodEReader here.

How nice…
You know you've arrived in commenting on eReaders when BadEReader plagiarizes you.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-06-2022 at 08:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:53 AM   #396
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Have you experienced any issues with battery life after installing nova launcher? Is goes down extremely fast. Have only managed to read half of a book on Koreader.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #397
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
Have you experienced any issues with battery life after installing nova launcher? Is goes down extremely fast. Have only managed to read half of a book on Koreader.
I haven't noticed any unusual drop in battery life. One thing you could do is install another launcher, use that one, and see if the battery life is better afterwards.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #398
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:

How nice…
Since it was posted here, isn't GoodEReader violating copyright held by MobileRead?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #399
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Since it was posted here, isn't GoodEReader violating copyright held by MobileRead?
As far as I know, Mobileread does not hold a copyright on content posted in the forums. OTOH, under Canadian law, the poster of that message does have a copyright on it. Last time I looked, GoodEReader was located in Canada.

The following two items would apply:

Quote:
Literary works such as books, pamphlets, computer programs and other works consisting of text.
Quote:
Copyright applies to every original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work where the author was at the date of the making of the work a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily resident in, Canada or some other treaty country. (A treaty country is defined as a Berne Convention country, a Universal Copyright Convention country or a World Trade Organization [WTO] member.)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #400
downeaster59
Wizard

Very interesting! Starting litigation in Canada over this may not be worth it. However, when someone posts here about the questionable ethics of the GoodEReader people, I'll have personal knowledge of what they are talking about!
Old 03-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #401
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

How nice…
You should post on GoodEreader and congratulate them on how much clearer and better written that article was as compared to their usual fare.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #402
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You should post on GoodEreader and congratulate them on how much clearer and better written that article was as compared to their usual fare.
Great suggestion!!! : )
Old 03-08-2022, 01:54 AM   #403
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

How nice…
Sounds about par for the course for these folks. They might have given you credit for your work, but that's NOT something they do (I know this from past experience with some photos I put up).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #404
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

How nice…
I notice there's no way to comment below "their" article. Figures.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:01 AM   #405
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I notice there's no way to comment below "their" article. Figures.
I checked that out and found the same thing to be true. There's no money involved, but it's the ethics of the thing that annoys me.

Tags
nook