Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are you listening to audiobooks ON?

Hey, everyone! What are you listening to audiobooks on? What would you recommend to others? I'll get the ball rolling by saying for audiobooks, I love my blue iPod nano. Its small size makes it just about the perfect device to carry anywhere. Although it's not the only device I use for audiobooks, it's my favorite.

The only downside is that body movements during various activities sometimes accidentally trigger the sensitive side buttons that advance or pause the playback. So I bought this blue rooCase from Amazon to add a bit of distance between the iPod's buttons and my shirt pocket. It works really well for that purpose, and in addition it provides a certain degree of protection from physical damage without adding noticeably to the device's weight. The downside is that it comes with a built-in pocket clip. I don't need a pocket clip, don't use the pocket clip, and the pocket adds unwanted bulk. I really don't like the pocket clip, and I wish roocase would offer the option of buying one without a clip. It really is a fine product otherwise, but I suspect there's just not much of a market for people like me who want one without it.

For listening I first tried the nano's own ear buds, and have nothing good to say about them. Their design ensures that unless I duct-tape them to my ears, they'll fall out the first time I turn my head. I tried regular headphones, but few things look dorkier than a 64-year-old in shorts walking around the neighborhood with a set of humongous headphones with a 10-foot cord trailing behind. So I bought these Freedom Sprint earbuds from Jaybird. Not only does the Bluetooth work flawlessly, but the unique design of the ear-inserts (it comes with three different sizes) keeps the buds in my ear no matter whether I'm walking, working in the yard, solving a jigsaw puzzle, or just puttering around the house.

Your turn. What do you use for listening to audiobooks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overview_video_2x.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	124779   Click image for larger version

Name:	71DQ5Yxmj8L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	124780   Click image for larger version

Name:	JF4-JayBird-Freedom-Sprint-UCord.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	124781  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-30-2014 at 12:10 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I forgot about my nano -- I have one of the little square ones (8 GB) that apple sent me when they recalled the battery on my 1st generation (4 GB) one. I've been carrying my iPhone around when I want to walk at work and it's kind of awkward. I should look for it and put some content on it.

That said, I use my 64GB iPhone for listening to audiobooks. I listen to them only in the car and I have a cable that connects between the headphone jack on the phone and an "AUX" connection on the front of my radio. I put my books -- all purchased from Audible -- on it through iTunes and then use the Audible app to listen to them.

Audible does not seem to have any good organization and iTunes buries *everything* so I can never find what I want to listen to through the phone's native music app. I organize and upload my content through iTunes and then I use Audible to listen to the books.

I have Skullcandy earbuds that I like at lot and a work-provided bluetooth headset that I use when I don't want to hassle with cords. However, the headset doesn't stay in/on my ear well and the sound is not as good as what I get with the earbuds.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Three different devices I listen on - the primary is the iPhone, since it has Bluetooth. That means I can listen to it on my phone headset, or when I'm in the car, it picks up automatically.

I also listen on my iPod Nano (3rd or 4th generation, I forget which) when I'm swimming. I have a waterproof case for it. I almost always listen to a different book on this device, since I can't easily sync the Nano to my other devices.

Finally, when I'm using WhisperSync for Voice, I use my Fire HD 8.9" which lets me listen AND read. And, of course, this syncs nicely to the Nano.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Primarily I use an iPod Touch (4th gen), almost always with the Audible app. Sometimes on my iPhone 5 and on rare occasion on my iPod Nano (2nd gen) or Sansa Clip.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Sansa Clip Zip, Skullcandy earbuds.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
When I'm driving or walking, I listen on my iPod Touch. I am addicted to being able to bump up the speed on the Audible/Overdrive/SmarterPlayer apps. Since I'm lazy, I'll just download a book to the appropriate Audible or Overdrive app, but if I'm running out of time on an Overdrive book, I'll sideload it to the SmarterPlayer app so I can finish it.

When I swim, I listen on an Aerb waterproof MP3 player. As with Charlie, it's a different book, it would be too hard to find my place if I switched back and forth.

As for earbuds, I just use whatever's lying around, except that I use the ones that came with the Aerb. They do the job, ie, stay in while I swim.

Last edited by issybird; 06-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have audiobooks on the Audible-app and listen while walking, waiting for bus/plane or doing tedious tasks as watering the garden/removing the weeds, on my iphone 5s with Apple earphones (remote control/mic on the cable, which is very handy).

I am searching for other earphones with the same remote as the Apple earphones, for it hurts my ear when I listen for a long time. The sound is good though. They don't fall out as I don't jump etc when listening to books..........
I only put one earphone in, as I don't want to be isolated from traffic noises or nature (when walking) or other people.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Oh, and for headsets: the Motorola S11 Flex HD when listening on the go, and the X-1 IEN2-BK-X Surge Sportwrap In-Ear Headphones when swimming. These are the first pair of waterproof headphones I've found in quite a while that actually work well. They don't leak, they stay on, and the sound is acceptable. I've been through a LOT of "waterproof" head sets, and the only other pair that ever worked well are no longer made. So I was really glad to find these when the old ones disintegrated after 3 years around and in the pool.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-30-2014 at 05:17 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Most of my listening is done on my iPod touch in the car. I use that because I prefer to use the playlist feature to listen so I don't have to worry about fiddling with it while driving after one book ends. I also listen at work on my iPhone, and sometimes on macbook pro (I download all my audible books on the macbook pro as well as all my music, so I can listen without an internet connection. It's also a lot easier to organize what I'm trying to listen to in iTunes). I listen to the one book at a time in the car, but frequently switch around between books at work, depending on what I'm doing and what I'm in the mood for.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
...I use my 64GB iPhone for listening to audiobooks. ...I put my books -- all purchased from Audible -- on it through iTunes and then use the Audible app to listen to them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Primarily I use an iPod Touch (4th gen), almost always with the Audible app....
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When I'm driving or walking, I listen on my iPod Touch. I am addicted to being able to bump up the speed on the Audible/Overdrive/SmarterPlayer apps. Since I'm lazy, I'll just download a book to the appropriate Audible or Overdrive app, but if I'm running out of time on an Overdrive book, I'll sideload it to the SmarterPlayer app so I can finish it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I have audiobooks on the Audible-app and listen while walking, waiting for bus/plane or doing tedious tasks as watering the garden/removing the weeds, on my iphone 5s with Apple earphones (remote control/mic on the cable, which is very handy)....
Everyone who mentioned using apps on their devices has made me very jealous. The big downside of the iPod nano is that it doesn't run apps, which means for one thing that the books I've bought from Blackstone audio—each in the form of a separate and self-contained iPad app—can't be listened to on the nano. Thankfully I have my trusty iPad on which I can hear those, but who wants to carry around an iPad when taking a walk or working in the yard?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
That said, I use my 64GB iPhone for listening to audiobooks. I listen to them only in the car and I have a cable that connects between the headphone jack on the phone and an "AUX" connection on the front of my radio. I put my books -- all purchased from Audible -- on it through iTunes and then use the Audible app to listen to them.

Audible does not seem to have any good organization and iTunes buries *everything* so I can never find what I want to listen to through the phone's native music app. I organize and upload my content through iTunes and then I use Audible to listen to the books.
I use the Audible app on my iPhone as well. I don't load content with iTunes, rather, I download the audiobook directly from Audible when I'm on a WiFi connection. I also only listen to audiobooks when I'm in the car -- actually, when I'm alone in the car -- and have the same set-up as sakura-panda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When I swim, I listen on an Aerb waterproof MP3 player. As with Charlie, it's a different book, it would be too hard to find my place if I switched back and forth.
I love the idea of listening while swimming. I plan to start swimming laps when I retire and will no longer be spending 3/4 of each month away from hme. I'll definitely be researching a good waterproof player and headphones.

Although I've only listened to books from Audible.com so far, I've been downloading the books from this summers SYNC offering. Since they're a series of MP3 files, they need to be organized in a playlist of some sort so that they play in the right order. Don't know what app to use on the iPhone to listen to these books. Any suggestions?
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Although I've only listened to books from Audible.com so far, I've been downloading the books from this summers SYNC offering. Since they're a series of MP3 files, they need to be organized in a playlist of some sort so that they play in the right order. Don't know what app to use on the iPhone to listen to these books. Any suggestions?
You can put them on your iPhone using iTunes. When you add them into iTunes edit the Info and change the format to Audiobook from Music on the Options tab and you won't need a playlist. You can listen to them using the Audible app if you like, it can access audiobooks you sideload via iTunes.

-----

I listen on my iPod Touch or my iPhone 5c. They are pretty much interchangeable and I usually end up with two different stories going at the same time.

The touch is a holdover from before I got the phone and now I mostly listen to sideloaded library audiobooks on it using the Audible app, since my iPhone doesn't seem to like me to transfer to it from the external hard disk that I store audiobooks on temporarily. I use the phone in my car through its stereo using bluetooth and generally listen to audiobooks I've purchased and downloaded to the Audible app. When walking or before bed I use whichever has the story I'm in the mood for. Usually I use the newest Apple earbuds, they let me hear ambient noise when walking, but when no one is around I skip the earbuds and listen using the speaker of the device.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool audio ebook listening

My Kindle Fire or my PC, sometimes (depending on the noise level in the location) using KOSS Plug In-Ear Headphones.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Everyone who mentioned using apps on their devices has made me very jealous.
It certainly is handy. With the Audible app, along with apps for Downpour, Tantor & Overdrive it's easy to get books to the device even when away from home.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I mostly listen on my iPhone using the Audible or Overdrive apps. I use Plantronics wireless headphones. I also have an old Apple Shuffle that is good for loading one book at a time. I never thought about swimming and listening to audiobooks. What an interesting idea! I must research that.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote