Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
csgnyc
csgnyc began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Editing custom metadata with CLI

I've just started fooling around with the command line interface and am getting the hang of it. Specifically what I want to do is to use the interface to edit the Library of Congress catalog numbers for each book. I've set up the Library of Congress custom data field and can access it with the GUI.

Is this doable -- does the ebook-meta command (or any other command) allow for editing of the LOC custom field?

If it's not doable, anyone have suggestions for a workaroun?
csgnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibredb set_metadata --help
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
csgnyc

Thanks for the quick response. I'm getting close.

If I get a list of fields through calibredb set_metadata -l, on my list is format:Library of Congress and Field name: #LOC.

If I then try to edit the metadata of book id 45070 to change the LOC number to LC385, it looks like the command is "calibredb set_metadata --field #loc:LC385 45070". This gets me an error that the field option requires an argument.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to quote command line arguments appropriately for whatever shell you are using

Code:
--field "#LOC:whatever"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #5
csgnyc

This worked. Thanks.

Tags
cli, custom, metadata