Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUW View Post
That's my thought too. I *never* had to stop reading because I ran out of juice on my old Kindle Keyboard or on the "new" PW, even though the battery capacity of the PW is lower then on the Keyboard. But ergonomics is important and so is the back lit screen (IMHO the best feature of the PW, when it was introduced). But if the Voyage has a sensor that automatically adjusts screen brightness that would be appreciated.

Down here they aren't .

This whole new Kindle thing came about because my wife started using my old Keyboard and logically got envious of me not needing to use a lamp to read my PW in bed. So that got me thinking of getting a new model for me and passing on my PW to her. But like I said, I have to convince myself that I really need to spend money on a substitute for something that is working marvelously well .
Why don't you just buy her a PW instead of upgrading? Unless she just wants your old one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I have been using my Oasis for over 6 months and would recommend it, the form factor is great in my opinion and the cover feels premium.

But I totally agree with those who say that the perception of batterylife is worse than the Kindle Paperwhite for 4 reasons:

1. if you are low on battery in the main unit you are notified and if you are low on battery in the cover you are notified.

2. The 10 LED´s are awesome I think, but I keep them on quite high in brightly lit enviroments where I probably could have turned them off, but it has to burn some more battery than the 4 LED´s in the Paperwhite.

3. I do bring it more places than I did with my paperwhite, so more use might also contribute to the battery consumption.

4. The big battery and small battery is really confusing. There´s no visualization to let you intuitively see the difference between a shot-glass and a bucket.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #18
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Why don't you just buy her a PW instead of upgrading? Unless she just wants your old one.
And pass up a perfectly legit opportunity for a new toy? With the blessing of my Supreme Executive Commander???
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
And pass up a perfectly legit opportunity for a new toy? With the blessing of my Supreme Executive Commander???
If your SEC has blessed it then which one sounds better to you?
I am guessing the SEC has her favorite toys too, that have nothing to do with reading.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Yeah, it's a golden opportunity - and I even get brownie points!!!
But I'm a bit uncomfortable in spending money when I really don't need to.
Yep, I'm getting old. And worse, mature .

Crap, I might just get her a new PW...
Old 11-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm like you LUW, a bit uncomfortable spending money when its not really necessary. So I tried to pass on my PW to someone so I could justify getting myself a Voyage. They didn't want it, but I went ahead and bought the Voyage anyway (waited for it to be on sale) and sold my PW so it didn't cost too much. I'm very pleased with my upgrade, its definitely a step up from the PW.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #22
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The Voyage (and ever so slightly less, the Oasis) does have a markedly better (sharper) screen than the K3 keyboard or the PW. Take that into consideration too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The Voyage (and ever so slightly less, the Oasis) does have a markedly better (sharper) screen than the K3 keyboard or the PW. Take that into consideration too.
Yes, that's because it has a glass screen, which is noticeably more transparent than the PW's polycarbonate screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #24
LUW
Ex-paperboy

I just ordered a new PW from Amazon Brazil . Her b-day is coming up so this would be a nice present for her and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I went the cheap route: a brand new Voyage for me and my old PW for her .

But I'm still interested in a Voyage . And about screens: do both Voyage and Oasis have glass screens?
Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And about screens: do both Voyage and Oasis have glass screens?
Yes, both have them.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #26
LUW
Ex-paperboy

So both will have sharper screen image then my PW .
Darn, you guys are making it hard to NOT spend money...
Old 11-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So both will have sharper screen image then my PW .
Darn, you guys are making it hard to NOT spend money...
Yes. Not dramatically sharper, but certainly noticeably so.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Between the Voyage and the Oasis, the Voyage is the better Reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Between the Voyage and the Oasis, the Voyage is the better Reader.
No it's not. And unlike you, I own both readers and have some basis for making a comparison.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
No it's not. And unlike you, I own both readers and have some basis for making a comparison.

Jim
Shall we say it's a matter of personal preference? My personal preference is for the Voyage, but I wouldn't confuse my personal opinion with universal truth . As with most things, the two devices have pros and cons.