Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
1countryboy
1countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Question New User

I got my wife a Kindle 3 for Xmas but she didn't like the fact it wasn't backlit so I returned it and bought a NC. I've read through the manual but I still have a few questions:

1. Since my wife has been doing a lot of reading she has been charging the NC overnight daily. Do I understand correctly that it isn't necessary or recommended to turn it off (completely shut down) that you merely need to plug it in and it will go into sleep mode while charging and that this is the right way to charge it?

2. When you're reading a book is there anyway to go back to the beginning (first page) without having to tap back one page at a time?

3. With our brief experience with the Kindle 3 and now with the NC I think the latter is much better overall but I do miss not having Text To Speech, do you think this will ever be added?

4. Comparing the speakers/sound of the NC to the Kindle 3 I was a little shocked how much better the Kindle was considering the price of the NC. Maybe since the NC doesn't have TTS this wasn't a priority but I have my volume peaked out and it doesn't come close to the Kindle in loudness or sound quality. Do you think firmware updates can improve this? Is anyone else bothered by the sound?

Mike
1countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
1. No, you do not need to turn it completely off. Ever.
2. You can use the page slider to quickly go to any page, including page 1. You do this by tapping on the page and the slider is on top of the soft button window.
3. Text to speech is a tricky subject. Many publishers are not keen on this as it hurts audiobook sales. It hasn't caught on yet, but who knows.
4. The sound on my unit is fine for me. I have it turned to 3/4 volume and it's plenty loud. Mostly I use it with the headset, however. There have been other mobile devices that became louder with firmware upgrades. Who knows?
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
1countryboy

Thanks kilmar for the replies never noticed the page slider before that's pretty slick.

We've had the NC for a week now but it's never updated to 1.0.1 do you think it will eventually update or do I need to do it manually?

Also when you go to BN website and to "My Nook Library" can you explain how this works. When you click on "Move to Archive" what exactly is this doing and what happens if you didn't Archive your books?

There is a box "Show in my B&N" what happens if you check it?

Last edited by 1countryboy; 01-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Mine never updated automatically either. I manually updated. It's not too hard.

1. Download the zip file from BN.com.
2. Copy the zip file to the root of your nook color (make sure it's still zipped)
3. Wait

As for your questions, I've had my nook color for about 24 hours. I will need to investigate it myself .
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
When you click on "Move to Archive" what exactly is this doing and what happens if you didn't Archive your books?
The "archive" concept is that you delete the book from your nook, but your B&N account remembers that you still own it. It's like deleting the book, except that you can un-delete it later.

It's to help you keep your library less cluttered. I wouldn't archive a frequently-used reference book, but I would archive a novel I've completed if I'm not likely to re-read it any time soon.

If you ever do decide to read it again, you don't have to buy it again; just "un-archive" it, and B&N will let you download it again.

The "Show in my B&N" thing is for a community portal B&N is working on. I guess the idea is that B&N users can share what books they're reading. I haven't used it, though.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
1countryboy

I wasn't even sure how you deleted a book from the NC but you are saying you do it from from your BN website (My Nook Library) entirely different from the Kindle 3.

Seems to me BN shouldn't even have the "Delete" option available (mistakes can happen) since you would either want your books archived or on your NC.

When the NC updates to a newer firmware do your settings like brightness go back to default?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
As one country boy to another, you might think about getting the free app "Nook for PC" to run on your PC (I assume you have one). That way you can sync the PC's app which will download those books to your PC as well as still having them on B&N. I may be paranoid but if I lose th internet or if B&N stopped ebook sells, I still have my books. This sort of thing has happened to other ebook sellers in the past. Bottom line is 'If it's mine I want it under my control.'

Another advantage to the apps is that you can have your current book synced to the 'last read position' so you can read on your PC or your NC without hunting for your place in the book. Or when your wife steals your NC you can still read your books.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Countryboy. Happy Nooking and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
Mine never updated automatically either. I manually updated. It's not too hard.

1. Download the zip file from BN.com.
2. Copy the zip file to the root of your nook color (make sure it's still zipped)
3. Wait

As for your questions, I've had my nook color for about 24 hours. I will need to investigate it myself .
Mine never updated automatically either (I had been waiting with Wi-Fi turned ON continuously for more than a week after the update came out) UNTIL I authorized my NC to my Adobe Digital Editiions account, and THEN it updated not 15 seconds after I ejected my NC from the USB connection to the PC. I have no idea WHY authorization to ADE might have triggered the update, but that seems to be what happened to me....

Last edited by leday; 01-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
1. No, you do not need to turn it completely off. Ever.
2. You can use the page slider to quickly go to any page, including page 1. You do this by tapping on the page and the slider is on top of the soft button window.
3. Text to speech is a tricky subject. Many publishers are not keen on this as it hurts audiobook sales. It hasn't caught on yet, but who knows.
4. The sound on my unit is fine for me. I have it turned to 3/4 volume and it's plenty loud. Mostly I use it with the headset, however. There have been other mobile devices that became louder with firmware upgrades. Who knows?
1. I turn mine off when not in use to help conserve battery runtime, however the manual states in at least one place to leave it on while charging.

2. Also the"contents" softbutton will bring up a box which has several tabs including bookmarks, but the default contents tab usually has a link to p.1 at least, or so I've noticed in my books. Usually also has links to individual chapters as well.

4. It has only a single speaker and they put it on the bottom of the device, so it probably gets frequently at least partially if not completely covered by your hand when hold it, and if lying on a surface completely covered... same deal if in a case, it's covered...

Updates: I had to return my first unit(defective USB), but ran mine with WiFi on as much as possible and NEVER got the over-the-air update, so I ended up downloading the sideload update and doing it "manually". (I had even left WiFi on one night while charging with max screen/sleep timeout to 1h and still no download of update... my second NC I ran like this from Friday to Monday evening before giving up and doing the sideload...)

You do the sideload update by copying the sideload zip file to the drive that appear for your NC when plugged into your computer, disconnect the NC, wait a few minutes(had a bit of a problem my first attempt), then power cycle the NC. When it restarts it should go to a screen that says something about updating and has an orage progression bar at the bottom. Once it's done it reboots the NC automatically. (Just make sure that you have a pretty good charge in the battery if you're not doing this while running on the charger...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-06-2011 at 09:44 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote