Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Unhappy Broken screen and no idea what my next steps should be...

I can't express how depressed I am at the moment. Yesterday, I sold my spare PRS-600 on Amazon. Then, a few hours later, an accident occurred where this is the result:

Buying a replacement PRS-950 seems out of the question since Sony doesn't seem to make them anymore, I don't see refurbished models available from them, and a brand new one from elsewhere will run me $100 more than I paid in the first place. I can't imagine spending almost $400 for this device... (And to be honest, I sold another device to pay for this one at the time and only really paid $50... :/)

I am going to pick up the box/docs from storage today to see what the manufacturer warranty covers, but I know they won't cover an accident. At least I can get the number to call to see how much the repair would be, but that will probably not be possible any longer or just wayyyy too much money.

So, now I am stuck. I really like Sony and they only sell the T1, which has a 1 inch smaller display, I will need to buy a microSD card to replace my regular one and then I will need a new case since my 950 case won't fit.

Bah. I'm sad. The new Kindle Touch and current Nook Touch don't compare.

Cry with me, friends.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

So I just got off the phone with the Sony Repair Center. They are sending me a refurbished unit for $30 and I will then have to send them my unit. I really don't know if the warranty will hold for this. I simply don't understand how the drop it sustained could have cause this since it was only a few inches off the carpet, but it must have hit some sweet spot.

The woman said that if physical damage is found (which I am sure they will see when they take off the screen), then I will need to pay $100 for the refurbished unit I received since it would be out of warranty. I still find this too good to be true considering there was a drop, albeit a ridiculously small one. I asked again, "So worst case scenario, $100 plus tax?" and she said "yes."

I don't know...

I hope this works out well and I don't get shafted. I would rather have a PRS-950 refurbed over the T1 though.

Any of you pray?! lol.
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
$100 for a refurbished 950 direct from Sony sounds like a great deal to me. If I have to submit a warranty claim I hope there's another 950 available.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Good luck. Sounds like a good deal to me...That is if I am understanding you.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
I asked again, "So worst case scenario, $100 plus tax?" and she said "yes."
Considering what they sell for these days, that's a very good deal. I'd have taken that.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Wow! I would CRY if I broke my Sony 950! I'm glad Sony made you a deal, I'd definitely take them up on that!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Wow! I would CRY if I broke my Sony 950! I'm glad Sony made you a deal, I'd definitely take them up on that!
I am kind of desperately afraid it won't end up being a deal though. lol.

Thanks guys. I am really hoping this works out.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My sympathies. I would be quite upset if I broke my 950, I think it's going to be the last of its kind.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
yugami
Connoisseur
yugami began at the beginning.

Device: PRS+950
I sent mine in and they repaired it for something like 89.90 (something weird just under 90 bucks) I had to pay to ship it there, they shipped it back.

Looked perfect when it was returned.
yugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
bakura82
Zealot

It's been a month and I have not heard back from the Sony Repair Center. They said they would charge me the additional fee if they felt that this damage was outside the warranty. Well, so far so good. I have paid $29.00 for a refurbished unit and that's it.

*fingers still crossed*

If this works out, I will be lavishing Sony with high praises on every review board I can find. lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
tkhansen
tkhansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
What number did you call? I have the exact same problem, unfortunately the result of an accident, and I really would prefer to get a refurbished 950 as opposed to a t-1...
tkhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #13
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
To prevent these "silly" falls I have installed a wrist strap. I like to read in bed and that is high risk .....
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhansen View Post
What number did you call? I have the exact same problem, unfortunately the result of an accident, and I really would prefer to get a refurbished 950 as opposed to a t-1...
Your device came with a limited warranty slip. The info on it is as follows:
http://www.sony.com/readersupport
or 1-866-962-7669

Good luck.