Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
According to Amazon's specs the 7" Fire has 171 ppi and the new 8" has 189 ppi, which frankly is not much better. Either of those ancient ppi resolutions would give me a headache if reading for more than a few minutes. My Fire HD 6" has 252 ppi, and that is pretty good to read on without any eye fatigue even though it is still below my iPhone and iPad Mini 2. This is 2016 and Amazon is still using PC monitor resolutions on tablets when nearly everyone else has long since moved up to much higher definition.
That's party how Amazon keep the prices low. The specs aren't good but then the price reflects that. I want a 32GB Fire as a Fire is the only device that can easily give Text to Speech for kindle books and personal documents. Personal Documents don't download to the sd card which is why I want the 32GB.

I still read on a original Nook Glow alongside my Voyage and Glo HD so whilst I would love a better screen I also don't want to pay a lot for a Fire.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When Amazon Beats or Matches these specs then I will buy!
1280×720 px (315 ppi)[3] BTW Not impossible for them to do this since this in the Specs on the Fire Phone!

Guess I be sticking with fire Phone & Fire 10. Since there are not real reading improvement on this new 8

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-22-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When Amazon Beats or Matches these specs then I will buy!
1280×720 px (315 ppi)[3] BTW Not impossible for them to do this since this in the Specs on the Fire Phone!

Guess I be sticking with fire Phone & Fire 10. Since there are not real reading improvement on this new 8
It's an improvement over the basic 7. I also wish they would reproduce the specs of the Fire HDX but then I wouldn't pay the price they would charge so its swings and roundabouts really.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
It's an improvement over the basic 7. I also wish they would reproduce the specs of the Fire HDX but then I wouldn't pay the price they would charge so its swings and roundabouts really.
With the list you named Why buy another Reader? How many readers can 1 person read on....
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With the list you named Why buy another Reader? How many readers can 1 person read on....
What list? Anyway how many readers I have is my own concern.
Advert
Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
1. Because the person wants one and can afford it.
2. As many as they own.
Example I use a laptop for cross stitch books.
I use my fire for cookbooks.
My kobo is for classics and author donated books.
My kindles are used for other books. The K5 is also used for text to speech.
I use my tablet for Google Play, Smashwords and author donated books.
Hope this helps.
Oh and I used my kindle keyboard for proofreading until it drowned.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
What list? Anyway how many readers I have is my own concern.
Your device list. And agreeing completely with you. Looks like you have all the bases covered.
Oh and I need to pm you a question about your reading.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #23
Tylerhav
Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle fire
This thing is 64 Bit too!
Tylerhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #24
Tylerhav
Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tylerhav ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle fire
https://developer.amazon.com/public/...specifications
Tylerhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #25
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
That's party how Amazon keep the prices low. The specs aren't good but then the price reflects that. I want a 32GB Fire as a Fire is the only device that can easily give Text to Speech for kindle books and personal documents. Personal Documents don't download to the sd card which is why I want the 32GB.

I still read on a original Nook Glow alongside my Voyage and Glo HD so whilst I would love a better screen I also don't want to pay a lot for a Fire.
Your LIST Your Words....
Old 09-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #26
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Your device list. And agreeing completely with you. Looks like you have all the bases covered.
Oh and I need to pm you a question about your reading.
Thank you, I found the wording a bit confusing, like I had started a thread about What reader to buy .
Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your LIST Your Words....
I think, if you read back through my posts on this thread, you will see I mentioned TTS as a desire, plus the ability to have a play with Alexa as I have no plans to buy an Echo or Dot. Regardless of how many tablets or readers I have (2 + 4, my Nook Glow isn't listed in My List) TTS is only available on a Fire.

I do have the adapters to give me TTS on the Voyage but it's cumbersome.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:43 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I've just ordered mine for collection on Sunday, John Lewis have it in stock which means i have a two year warranty included for free. I've got the 32GB and have a 64GB card already to go in it.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I've just ordered mine for collection on Sunday, John Lewis have it in stock which means i have a two year warranty included for free. I've got the 32GB and have a 64GB card already to go in it.
That's great, Josie! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. I think my original HD 8 is pretty good, but it can be a little slow when first turning on wifi. So hopefully this new edition doesn't have any slowness. It sounds really good. And regardless of the resolution specs, it is really good for reading on. (Whereas the cheap 7" is not, IMO-my DD has one so I have compared).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's great, Josie! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. I think my original HD 8 is pretty good, but it can be a little slow when first turning on wifi. So hopefully this new edition doesn't have any slowness. It sounds really good. And regardless of the resolution specs, it is really good for reading on. (Whereas the cheap 7" is not, IMO-my DD has one so I have compared).
I'm looking forward to it, and the even nicer thing is that with my credit card I can get a further two years warrenty . It's a retirement present to myself as i leave my job at the end of November. I'm being made redundant but its basicly retirement for me.