Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
libraries, audiobooks, and cost

I was talking to my librarian, and audiobooks came up. His comment was that they are expensive ($90) for the library, and that they had to rebuy them after one year.

This was for the U.S., and I believe he was referring to Overdrive.

Sorry if the price/renewal has been posted before ( I don't read this forum very often).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That's very interesting. So if 100 people listen to such an audio book in one year, that breaks down to .90 a person, of which the author/publisher/narrator gets their cut.

So if my math is right, then subscription audio books such as Audible Romance Package and Scribd, are quite comparable in payout. Just as I suspected.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's very interesting. So if 100 people listen to such an audio book in one year, that breaks down to .90 a person, of which the author/publisher/narrator gets their cut.

So if my math is right, then subscription audio books such as Audible Romance Package and Scribd, are quite comparable in payout. Just as I suspected.
Doesn't your math seem a little aggressive? That would mean that the average loan period at a library is 3.6 days.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Average time for a library loan for a hot title is 10 days; 14-21 days of not. So 100 people per copy over a year isn't likely. Keep in mind that most of these folks wouldn't have purchased the book anyway. If 30 of these people pass on that it's a good book, that likely increases sales of the book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I check them out for 7 days. Takes me two or three days to listen. I return and start another.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Many folks don't have that kind of free time available to them. I don't use audio books very often, because I can't multi-task when I listen, and my free time is in smaller chunks, 40 minutes at a time or less.

I imagine it is why libraries have different lending times...ours has 7, 14, and 21 days. Not everyone returns finished items early either.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I check them out for 7 days. Takes me two or three days to listen. I return and start another.
Yes, but you are not average. My librarian said that only 20-25% of those checking out ebooks or audio books return before due date. As you know, they automatically return on due date, unlike physical copies. Some of that is due to being unable to return them early, but for the most part, the hot title arrives when you are still reading another book so you may not start it right away.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I generally use a three-week checkout period. I had some eight books automatically (and unexpectedly) borrowed in the past week--holds and recommendations bought by the library; this in addition to a few books I already had out on loan. I return them as I finish them, but even though I might need only a day or two to finish them, some of them won't go back until the end of the loan period.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I multi-task, and sometimes hardly seem to pay attention to what I am listening to. If a sex scene comes on that I'm not interested in, I fast forward it. So that is a lot of the romance I listen to. I am positive I could not get through a Robert Jordan like that, or any kind of more in-depth book! Maybe that's not typical. But like the one I am reading right now, it's #5 in a series, so even though I don't like the characters or the setting, I want to get through it to the next one. Maybe I'll pay more attention to #6!