Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
This is fantastic. Someone is replacing KindleOS with a custom Android build that needs to be "activated"? We should reverse engineer this and see what's going on. Would be neat to have a generic Android build running on newer Kindles. Wonder how they got drivers working for the eink display?

Can anyone mirror the files while they're still up?
The activation key is what the person is selling.

Already done.

Beware, there are some serious typos in the code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I've mirrored enough of it I think, there is no source code, but the u-boot seems the important part to launch android?

I just cannot wrap my head around the boot loader process though.
Yeah, calling u-boot as an upstart job is a bit tricky.
And making a KUAL menu button to launch it, not exactly a 'clean' way to do it.
He did use NiLuJe's bridge code to make the Android install "update safe".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Initial guess is that someone cloned the Kindle hardware and ported Android to it as a feature upsell? Heck if I know, this seems like a lot of work for questionable gain.

Nevermind, looks like this was built with leaked (freescale) tools for the microprocessor. Less exciting, won't be able to build our own in the same way.

Built from: /media/freescale/android4.4.2-source/.

Rough waters ahead, beware!
Not cloned Kindle hardware, actual Kindle hardware.
The person had been selling Android conversion services since they first showed up here about a year ago.

I don't think there is any leak involved with the NXP (f.k.a: Freescale, f.k.a: Motorola) tools - they have had an Android example up for years.
But I thought that their example used RedBoot, not U-Boot. I could be mis-remembering that.

Yeah, that version is just about when Android adopted SELinux in full enforcing mode. IIRC it was somewhere in the 4.x series.
And if a person is planning to deal with that, they might as well start with a base of AOSP version 8.x

= = = =

Personally, I want to wait and see if Amazon announces an Android build for the i.MX6 Kindles.
There must be some reason that ADB can be found (erased) on some of them.

Although I will admit that I have spoken (written) with a few people privately about what to do if that is still what is being done - selling a "closed source" version for profit of the open source Android project.
And (properly) releasing a free version seems to be the best and quickest way to put an end to that.

Also, it appears that person is using Google's Android branding in ways not allowed by their branding usage publications.
Getting the Chinese government to pay attention to a few pissed off programmers is not likely to happen, but they will listen to Google - who is a major contractor of their GFC (Great Firewall of China).

Last edited by knc1; 10-10-2017 at 11:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:02 AM   #32
parrotgeek1
Nameless Being

I have found where the registration code is being checked.

inside the zip
http://182.254.232.41/firmtest/andro...dle.171102.zip
there is a file named esystem.bin. (It should be similar for the other devices and versions)

This file is really an ext4 filesystem (you can check with "file" command).

Mount it:

mkdir droid
mount -o loop -t ext4 esystem.bin droid

Now look inside:

cd droid
ls

you see the android filesystem (app/priv-app/etc)

I used apktool to decompile all apks, and found an interesting one JSONClient.apk.
It has code to force itself to be the default launcher, and lock out all other apps. It also checks the device serial number, etc. So it is almost certainly the registration check.

I used a java decompiler to read the code and found that it uses a jni library "libjnidemo.so" (LOL) to create some kind of hash of the serial number, upload it to kdroid.net, and check the result.

Rather than try to crack it I think that you could just delete that apk and then install the modified image.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:05 AM   #33
parrotgeek1
Nameless Being

Here is the decompiled apk and library referenced above

Last edited by parrotgeek1; 08-31-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #34
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur
Jiang Yuhan began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle(558)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1 View Post
Here is the decompiled apk and library referenced above
Have you succeeded installing it?
Jiang Yuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 AM   #35
parrotgeek1
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang Yuhan View Post
Have you succeeded installing it?
No, I don't own a Kindle
Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #36
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur
Jiang Yuhan began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle(558)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotgeek1 View Post
No, I don't own a Kindle
emmm,what a pitty!
Jiang Yuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #37
Zonda
Zonda doesn't litterZonda doesn't litterZonda doesn't litter

Device: kindle oasis
Long time no see.
I find it seems to have made some progress. I think I need to read it carefully.
Zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 AM   #38
Zonda

I finally have time to move, but I found that I do not know how to delete the apk, because I simply will not extract the bin file.
I think I'm a fool ... I first learned how to open the bin file ('⌒`.)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonda View Post
I finally have time to move, but I found that I do not know how to delete the apk, because I simply will not extract the bin file.
I think I'm a fool ... I first learned how to open the bin file ('⌒`.)
Contact this thread's author - we do not support Android on this forum.
(Like, look in the mirror, find author there)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:13 AM   #40
Zonda

OK,thanks for you help.(* ̄3 ̄)╭♡❀Give you flower.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #41
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
Android of kindle

I have found recently that one special version of e-ink kindle has a firmware seems like using FireOS with u-boot

The product: https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B01I235KH4/ref=fs_kindlemigu

The firmware: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...gu_5.7.2.1.bin

The source code: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...171121.tar.bz2

I think the person's software is based on this firmware.
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #42
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
I have found recently that one special version of e-ink kindle has a firmware seems like using FireOS with u-boot

Nice find.

Last I looks at this it was reported that it was a re branded kindle touch, but this new firmware is a great find.

I have confirmed from extracting those it looks like fire OS.

Code:
product=eanab
package=com.amazon.eanab.android.os
version_name=Fire OS vNext
version_number=596462820
description=eanab-user 5.1.1 2.1.0-ga-rc3 .5.9.6_user_596462820 release-keys
key_type=release-keys
sign_type=release
binary_type=full

Code:
KERNEL_SUBPATH="kernel/nxp/3.10/dist"
DEFCONFIG_NAME="imx_heisenberg_defconfig"
TARGET_ARCH="arm"
TOOLCHAIN_REPO="https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6"
TOOLCHAIN_PREFIX="arm-eabi-"
MAKE_DTBS=y
ZIMAGE_TARGET=y

Last edited by coplate; 02-09-2018 at 11:24 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #43
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post

Inside this, is the system image:

Code:
$ file system.new.dat
system.new.dat: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b (extents) (large files)
But I cannot open that with any tool I have on windows 10. Maybe someone on linux can extract it.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #44
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
I think this can be helpful
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #45
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
I think this can be helpful
Thanks, the windows version did not work, but the python script attached here worked, now that I new what to search for:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...es-to-t2978952

This is definitely android built for kindle by amazon.

I installed one of the APK, and I dont have all the depencies, but it did load up, it wants me to log into some page that is in chinese, I assume the partner amazon went with there.

Last edited by coplate; 02-10-2018 at 03:06 AM.