Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
pnppl
pnppl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight 3
Glowlight 3 -- disable double-press chapter skipping?

So these new Nooks have this behavior where two quick sequential button presses causes the stock reader to jump forward/back a chapter rather than a page. It drives me crazy but I otherwise like the stock experience. Anyone know how to disable this? Do I just have to root the thing and install FBReader?
pnppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
pnppl

Update: installing a custom reader isn't a solution, as it turns out. Cool Reader, FBReader, and KOReader don't recognize the keycodes. Guess I would have to edit and compile them to get them to work.
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I know this sounds silly, but maybe you could stop pressing twice?
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
pnppl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I know this sounds silly, but maybe you could stop pressing twice?
Haha, well, that's my only option right now. B&N said the same thing when I asked them. It's still quite annoying though, especially since I tend to jump back and forth a lot when I read. Maybe I'll try my coding chops.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
> maybe you could stop pressing twice?

I think the key buttons bounce. I'd been wondering why the heck my Nook had this leap-forward behavior so often. I've almost given up on the hardware buttons, just paging forward by touching the screen.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #6
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnppl View Post
Update: installing a custom reader isn't a solution, as it turns out. Cool Reader, FBReader, and KOReader don't recognize the keycodes. Guess I would have to edit and compile them to get them to work.
I've been using CoolReader for years. Long ago, I disabled the 10-page skip for the Nook's bottom left/right keys in CoolReader Settings.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
pnppl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joydeck View Post
I've been using CoolReader for years. Long ago, I disabled the 10-page skip for the Nook's bottom left/right keys in CoolReader Settings.
Oh hey, really? Which version are you using? I tried the one on F-Droid which seems to be the last libre release.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #8
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnppl View Post
Oh hey, really? Which version are you using? I tried the one on F-Droid which seems to be the last libre release.
My rooted NST has long used Cool_Reader_v3.0.55.46.apk. In Cool Reader, Options|Key actions and Options|Tap zone actions can be set to eliminate the 10 pages skip.

I find Cool Reader excellent and my old NST even more so, thanks to Aard dictionaries and encyclopedias and a 32 GB SD card.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote