Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
I've not yet found a way to force a full refresh of the screen when there's some ghosting... It's very annoying! :-(

Last edited by cicabum; 09-07-2019 at 07:37 PM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

I've not yet found a way to force a full refresh of the screen on my K1 when there's some ghosting... it's very annoying! :-(
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #18
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
I've not yet found a way to force a full refresh of the screen on my K1 when there's some ghosting... it's very annoying! :-(
I lock and unlock the phone using the power button. I have the default lockscreen wallpaper and no password set. Takes less than a second for full refresh.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:06 AM   #19
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
I really should clarify: it's not possible to Google Play Services right out-of-box for both the K1 and the A6. To get it on the A6 you either have to buy the Russian edition or install a custom ROM that hacks together features from the Russian and Chinese editions (details on XDA forum).

There’s no such path for the K1. Initial attempts to dig deeper into the firmware seem unnecessarily difficult (there are already some reports of bricked devices in the Indiegogo comments).

However, the K1 build is much closer to stock android than the A6 and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Google Maps installed successfully via Aurora store. I had been unable to get that on my A6. Maps is the only irreplaceable part of the GSuite for me so K1 actually has the edge here.

The Light Phone II has finally been released which is closer to my ideal size for a small eink phone/reader. Both the K1 and LPII are $350 but one runs Android while the other... doesn’t. After I got over the disappointment about the lack of a display ‘fast mode', and started configuring my settings to optimize for refresh, the K1 has its charms. It's certainly good value compared to the LPII and decent value compared to the A6 (~$500).

p.s. be sure to double check that the K1’s LTE bands are compatible with your cellular provider if you want to use it as a phone
Hi. What do you mean when you say "...started configuring my settings to optimize for refresh", have you maybe found a way to force a full refresh? At the moment I've everytime to go back to home screen to remove ghosting. It is absurd they didn't plann a way to force a full refresh... it's a e-ink screen after all

Last edited by cicabum; 09-09-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #20
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
I lock and unlock the phone using the power button. I have the default lockscreen wallpaper and no password set. Takes less than a second for full refresh.
Sorry, I didn't see your answer. Thanks a lot
Advert
Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #21
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Are your notifications working? I can't access the drop-down notifications center on mine at all
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #22
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Are your notifications working? I can't access the drop-down notifications center on mine at all
The normal android notifications center doesn't work. Only the "Notice" icon on the home works as notification center.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #23
cicabum
Addict

Some apps work very well on Kingrow K1:
  • Lightning browser (Settings > Advance > Rendering Mode > High contrast) has very low ghosting compared to default browser
  • KOReader (It's possible to install it by F-Droid) has very low ghosting and it's very configurable. Since with the Kingrow K1 it's no possible to force a full refresh (it should be necessary to go to home screen and back to KOReader, but it's break the flow of reading) it's very useful to associate the "night mode" with a specific tab and then it's possible to swicht from normal mode to night mode and going back... in this way it's possible to remove the ghosting if it's necessary

Last edited by cicabum; 09-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #24
Heawe
Heawe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Boox Pocketbook Inkpad3
Can someone please help me?
what is the weight of the device (can't find any information)?
how is gps reception, does it work stable and maybe also inside houses?
did someone manage to root the device?
will there be frequently updates (every month security updates)?
where can you buy the device now or later if you miss Indigo sale?

best wishes Heawe
Heawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #25
cicabum
Addict

the weight of the device: 155 g

how is gps reception, does it work stable and maybe also inside houses?

It works but I have not yet tested it with google maps.

did someone manage to root the device?

I think it's possible by Kingroot, but at the moment there's online no available firmware file and if something goes wrong the phone will be useless.

will there be frequently updates (every month security updates)?

I don't know. The last update is 24 - 07 - 2019 _ V12

where can you buy the device now or later if you miss Indigo sale?

Good question. I don't know.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #26
Heawe
Heawe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Boox Pocketbook Inkpad3
Thank you cicabum for your response ��
And good hint not trying to root, if there's no downloadable firmware available!
Where you can check for firmware updates (when they are available)? I suppose that's at the original chinese homepage which can be translated with Google Do you have any link?
Heawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
cicabum
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heawe View Post
And good hint not trying to root, if there's no downloadable firmware available!
Where you can check for firmware updates (when they are available)? I suppose that's at the original chinese homepage which can be translated with Google Do you have any link?
I can check for firmware updates only by the integrated system of android

I know only this link

Last edited by cicabum; 09-12-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heawe View Post
There are links on our wiki for these and for buying. Kingrow K1

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #29
cicabum
Addict

Good news!

https://goodereader.com/blog/smartph...en-e-ink-phone
Old 09-21-2019, 04:20 AM   #30
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
After a month or so of attempts yesterday i managed to obtain a personal feedback via email from a human being inside Kingrow.
Beside my specific case (i got my tracking code, hope to obtain the phone next week) i *suggested* them to answer people still hanging on the indiegogo page.

Last edited by underscore; 09-21-2019 at 04:22 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote