Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Don't think it's worth updating firmware you don't use Overdrive, only users using it will benefit or I'm I missing something?
Yes. You are missing everything listed other then Overdrive. Plus, there could be other fixes behind the scene.

If you don't strip DRM and don't like the default widows and orphans, then you can change the default very easily.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:44 AM   #32
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.21.15015 has been released. This will be going to all devices except the Mini.

The changes that I know of in this release are:
  • Overdrive
    • "Your Holds" tile added to Overdrive section of the store. This can be used to manage your holds.
    • Notification icon in in menu.
  • Highlighting
    • Highlight automatically created when more than one word selected. Tap "Undo highlight" if you don't want to keep it.
  • Widows & Orphans in epubs
    • Hidden options "readingAdobeWidows" and "readingAdobeOrphans" added to "Reading" section of the config file.
    • This overrides the default widows and orphans used in the RMSDK.
    • It does not override widows and orphans in the book.
    • Basically, add them and set them to 1.
    • This is epub only.
  • Image scaling with font size.

For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version. This has already been done and is in calibre version 4.16 that was released last week. For those who do not want to update the calibre version, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.
Thank you, the improvement for highlight is a "mejoda" for me, so I think I'll skip this version.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you, the improvement for highlight is a "mejoda" for me, so I think I'll skip this version.
It's quite possible this is how highlighting will be from here on. If that is the case, will you always skip new firmware?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #34
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Has the Kepub cover bug been fixed by this update or one of the plugin updates? A description of it was discussed on the #20 comment here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=328041&page=2
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Nothing here for me. Don't highlight/don't use Overdrive/fix widows and orphans in the css anyway. I'll skip this one.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #36
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you, the improvement for highlight is a "mejoda" (="improved"?) for me, so I think I'll skip this version.
Can you elaborate on this? I do not seem to understand what you try to say?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Searching for "me joda" gives RATHER different translation results, but ones which fit better with the notion of not bothering with the update.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #38
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Ahh, I did not understand that you could insert spaces at will. So "mejo da" could also be the answer
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #39
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I'd like to know what widows and orphans mean?
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Google is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widows_and_orphans
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
Has the Kepub cover bug been fixed by this update or one of the plugin updates? A description of it was discussed on the #20 comment here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=328041&page=2
It's already been discussed in the thread. And, no.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's quite possible this is how highlighting will be from here on. If that is the case, will you always skip new firmware?
As I'm not able to see the future, I'll take the decision when there is a new firmware.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Sorry, Spanish developer joke. In Spanish, "improvement" is the same than "mejora". When you do something worse than before, you *excuse my french* "lo jodes". So "mejoda" is something that, allegedly, is an improvement but it makes the product worse.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nothing here for me. Don't highlight/don't use Overdrive/fix widows and orphans in the css anyway. I'll skip this one.
With this update, you don't have to fix widows and orphans in CSS. You do it in the config file once and done for most eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-20-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #45
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you! I forgot about Google there for a minute. 😉
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release