Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
Nomado
Nomado began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
No cover on Kindlepaperwhite 2

Ok, so before you decide I am a newbie who doesn't know about AZW3, I shall say I do know about that format. I like to read philosophy book on my Kindle Paperwhite 2 and since they are most of the time public domain, I download them and add covers using Calibre and after that I convert it to AZW3 format before copying it to my kindle. But lately books I have converted using Calibre stopped having covers appear. Does anyone know solution to this problem?

Is it connected with calibre or kindle? or is it due to something I am doing wrong eventhough I haven't changed my tried and tested method. Also older books before this problem began still have covers.

Please help me. Thank you.
Nomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try MOBI format on the PW2
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Some fine person here had written a python (?) script that would put a cover picture into a Kindle book. It worked well the last time that I used it. You might see if you can find that and see if it still works.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Vampyr
Vampyr began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
TO transfer books to kindle i use kindle butler. https://github.com/AcidWeb/KindleButler/releases
Vampyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What's your firmware version?
See this illuminating, wonderful thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=262285

It appears Amazon may have changed something in an extraordinarily stupid manner.

@quiris' ExtractCoverThumbs app is capable of scanning your Kindle, extracting thumbnails for ALL your books, and placing them in the appropriate location.
If you use it AFTER the Kindle processes your books, it won't get "helpfully" replaced deleted by Amazon, which is what the problem appears to be (based on @blaenk's similar problem in the above linked thread)

@Vampyr -- I believe KindleButler is designed to do the initial upload, and indeed operates much like calibre, albeit with far fewer features. As such, it is precisely as useless as calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Nomado
Nomado began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
My firmware is 5.6.5

@eschwartz Thank you, my dear sir. Thou art awesome. I shall bask in thy glory. Glorious be thou and thy name.

So I found the problem I was facing thanks to threat he posted. The problem was that since the books I downloaded were not one on Amazon. I would download it then just copy Amazon asin from same book over to metadata. Then I was too lazy that I just opened calibre book containing folder and copied file directly to my kindle instead of using Calibre for that purpose. I deleted one book and then used calibre to copy over to my kindle and TADAA Cover now works
Nomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Aha, so it isn't the firmware mystery from that thread after all -- you just didn't use calibre to do the copying?
Well, even though I jumped to the wrong conclusion, at least I explained in detail in the other thread I guess.

Certainly makes it much easier, then, if you don't have to play with the indexer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cover, kindle, kindle paperwhite, pw2