Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yeah, evil, evil amazon and their evil - oh, wait, I don't have to buy one.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #32
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Also of interest is the fact that, due to the UK launch of the Fire, Amazon have announced that they're opening 3 new UK distribution centres, employing 2000 permanent and 3000 temporary staff.
Good news, but I can't see why selling the Fire needs all that.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
So they can update the app store apparently.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
There isn't even any media to consume. Over here we won't be getting access to amazon instant streaming services or amazon prime streaming services. All we are getting is a one month free subscription to love film and thereafter the only video content we will have access to is through a love film. Netflix does not work, neither will BBC iPlayer, 4od, itv player, catch up tv or sky go. There is no flash.

In the US the fire works well as a media device and therefore the comparison to a tablet isn't necessary but in the UK it is severely limited.

To be quite honest I don't know why they waited a year to release the fire. People said it was because of the lack of infrastructure but nothing has changed in a year in the UK. All they have done is tacked on lovefilm but that was available a year ago anyway.
Well i just managed to access the US App market mate on my real android tablet and was even more dismayed then when i first saw the UK Amazon App as i was working under the assumption that the U.S App store would have more content,how wrong i was.

It almost beggars belief that the US amazon App store is almost as thread bear as the UK store and amazon think they could take on both google and apple with there lobotomised operating system(OS) tablet/media player,what should i call it?

Amazon could do a lot better and provide a much better device & service overall if they just bite the bullet and embrace ANDROID instead of trying to work against it.

Now that i have finely seen the both App stores and what little they have to offer it makes total sense why so many kindle fire owners where griping or ROOTING there devices so they could CHOOSE where and what they bought as well as VASTLY increasing the quantity of media & Apps to buy.

Unless amazon ramps up there currently none existent streaming services and poorly stocked App store in the UK & the rest of Europe customers will be almost stuck in no man's land for renewable media for some time to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-09-16-13-58.png
Views:	163
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	92090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-09-16-07-40.png
Views:	161
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	92091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-09-11-41-26.png
Views:	162
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	92093  

Last edited by darksaber35; 09-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Well i just managed to access the US App market mate on my real android tablet and was even more dismayed then when i first saw the UK Amazon App as i was working under the assumption that the U.S App store would have more content,how wrong i was.

It almost beggars belief that the US amazon App store is almost as thread bear as the UK store and amazon think they could take on both google and apple with there lobotomised operating system(OS) tablet/media player,what should i call it?

Amazon could do a lot better and provide a much better device & service overall if they just bite the bullet and embrace ANDROID instead of trying to work against it.

Now that i have finely seen the both App stores and what little they have to offer it makes total sense why so many kindle fire owners where griping or ROOTING there devices so they could CHOOSE where and what they bought as well as VASTLY increasing the quantity of media & Apps to buy.

Unless amazon ramps up there currently none existent streaming services and poorly stocked App store in the UK & the rest of Europe customers will be almost stuck in no with better man's land for renewable media for some time to come.
Yea I downloaded the Amazon app store on my phone and tablet, both Android and saw that there were about 50 apps in there. Utterly ridiculus. I don't see the point in buying the fire in the UK. Why go to all the trouble of routing your device when you can just buy android tablet with better specs. Did they really wait a year to launch the fire so they could give us 50 apps and love film.

In the US they have access to Amazon instant and Amazon prime services which has a vary amount of tv shows and movies. Yet Amazons offering in the uk is a joke. Perhaps they think we are so naive in Europe, that we don't know that there are better devices out there.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #36
blogbook
Groupie
blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Yea I downloaded the Amazon app store on my phone and tablet, both Android and saw that there were about 50 apps in there. Utterly ridiculus. I don't see the point in buying the fire in the UK. Why go to all the trouble of routing your device when you can just buy android tablet with better specs. Did they really wait a year to launch the fire so they could give us 50 apps and love film.

In the US they have access to Amazon instant and Amazon prime services which has a vary amount of tv shows and movies. Yet Amazons offering in the uk is a joke. Perhaps they think we are so naive in Europe, that we don't know that there are better devices out there.
Sorry, I am no techie. What would be a 10 " android tablet with "better specs" available in Europe?

Last edited by blogbook; 09-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
blogbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogbook View Post
Sorry, I am no techie. What would be a 10 " android tablet with "better specs" available in Europe?
Off the top of my head the galaxy note 10.1
The new transformer
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #38
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogbook View Post
Somebody has already given you suggestions, but just as a matter of interest, why do you single out 10" tablets when none of the fires are that big?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #39
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Personally, I have zero interest in the initial uk fire offerings, the limitations of the AppStore offset the savings compared with a nexus7. I'll take another look at them when they offer the 8.9" models since that display and form factor gives something different, although they need more comics apps in their store since they are perfect on tablets.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #40
blogbook
Groupie
blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blogbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Somebody has already given you suggestions, but just as a matter of interest, why do you single out 10" tablets when none of the fires are that big?
Given the previous focus on access to the android market, the Nexus would be the obvious choice in the 7"-range, even to me, and I wanted to learn something new

Calling it an "10" tablet" was my mistake, sorry, but the usual sizes until the Fire HD 8.9" where 7" and 10.1" (except the Galaxy Tab, I stand corrected). What would be the correct label for this size? "Larger than 7"? "In the range of ..."? "The mini-max"?

And honestly, personally, I don't get the use of a 7" device. But I do know this is not a universal truth We all want different things, that's why there are so many different different devices. I have a 6" eink-device for leisure reading and PC for work and would like to have a 10"(+/-) device for reading a4 sized documents, surfing from the couch and the occasional movie.

But this is only me, I know a lot of people want mobility at a portable size which evidently at the moment is 7". Might be that as a woman, I am used to carrying around a large bag.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #41
blogbook
Groupie

Quote:
Off the top of my head the galaxy note 10.1
The new transformer
Ahem see, some of us have to consider prize as an important spec. People do prioritize: Personally I don't buy things which are the ultimate best of the best of the best (whatever this would be) but: Which device does what I want at a reasonable prize? I don't want to pay for things I will not use. For me the possibility to sideload apps should I be in an adventurous mood is enough.

So if amazon insisits on offering me a subsidized device for a4 reading, comics, couch surfing and streaming that does what I want out-of-the-box (and outstanding CS for the case it doesn't) I take it without too much complaint (well, the suggested protective cases are ugly, but that's another topic).

I won't take the 7" Fires and I won't take the 4G and I won't take an Ipad and I won't take the Nexus and I won't take the Galaxy note because they don't fulfill my needs or they are (for me!) overpriced overachievers.

Yes, if access to the android app market is important to you, this is not your device. But please don't tell me, what is or isn't mine.

Peace